Intel want's to prevent OC on non-Z87 chipsets

1. it would give intel and mobo manufactures a bad name. If you see your mobo fried, and u didnt know why it happened, your probably going to stay away from that brand.

2. WAYYY to many people would rma their boards.

3. The only people that would buy a 3770k and a $60 motherboard would be the (for lack of a better word) uneducated ones. Why would they spend more money on something that, to them, does the exact same thing. Then, they would be the ones trying to RMA it, and then talk to their friends about the "horrible" brand that shorted their motherboard

1. Then they should have listened to the warning. It's not like it would be Intel's or any other manufacturer's fault, you had been warned about it beforehand.

2. They can't if it's not covered by the warranty, at least not without paying (and surely they wouldn't mind taking that extra cash required to fix or replace it).

3. First of all, the 3770K is an Ivy Bridge processor, this article is about Haswell.

I'm not saying that they should skimp on the motherboard, but rather that they should have the option to overclock on non-Z87 boards, whether that includes a voided warranty, etc. Also, are you implying that you can't overclock other Haswell processors? Even non-unlocked processors can be as well, I'm using one right now.

It is marketing. Intel makes money on the sale of motherboards, so most likely make more on more expensive board so they want to make buyers pay more money.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

1. Then they should have listened to the warning. It's not like it would be Intel's or any other manufacturer's fault, you had been warned about it beforehand.

2. They can't if it's not covered by the warranty, at least not without paying (and surely they wouldn't mind taking that extra cash required to fix or replace it).

3. First of all, the 3770K is an Ivy Bridge processor, this article is about Haswell.

I'm not saying that they should skimp on the motherboard, but rather that they should have the option to overclock on non-Z87 boards, whether that includes a voided warranty, etc. Also, are you implying that you can't overclock other Haswell processors? Even non-unlocked processors can be as well, I'm using one right now.

But the point is that if someone has a bad experience it HURTS Intel's reputation.

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

But the point is that if someone has a bad experience it HURTS Intel's reputation.

Not necessarily. It depends on what caused the problem, which is implied to be the motherboard (which is why they aren't restricting it by CPU but by motherboard chipset. Remember that Intel doesn't sell desktop motherboards anymore).

agree, even with Z series, there will be people who enter incorrect vcore etc and burn the board.  

1. There is a warning for EVERY board. When you overclock, no matter what you have, it is going to void the warrenty. That is probably the most warning you can get. And a big label that says "don't overclock, this motherboard can't handle it isn't too good for marketing.

2. That wouldn't stop people from trying to rma, and likely succeeding. If you clear the cmos, they have no proof whatsoever. 

3. OK, take the argument I mentioned in a previous post, and substitute 3770k with 4770k.

Yeah, but the point of z87 is to overclock. The way Intel views it, is that overclocking is a privilege. If you want to have this "priviledge" you have to buy a z87. And I know that you can overclock non-k sku's, but not to the same degree as k cpu's. And I've seen z87 boards for less than $100

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

1. There is a warning for EVERY board. When you overclock, no matter what you have, it is going to void the warrenty. That is probably the most warning you can get. And a big label that says "don't overclock, this motherboard can't handle it isn't too good for marketing.

2. That wouldn't stop people from trying to rma, and likely succeeding. If you clear the cmos, they have no proof whatsoever. 

3. OK, take the argument I mentioned in a previous post, and substitute 3770k with 4770k.

Yeah, but the point of z87 is to overclock. The way Intel views it, is that overclocking is a privilege. If you want to have this "priviledge" you have to buy a z87. And I know that you can overclock non-k sku's, but not to the same degree as k cpu's. And I've seen z87 boards for less than $100

Other Haswell chipsets can overclock, that's the problem. Intel is doing it to encourage the purchase a higher end Z87 board (which will yield them more profit).

Other Haswell chipsets can overclock, that's the problem. Intel is doing it to encourage the purchase a higher end Z87 board (which will yield them more profit).

yeah, but they also have good reason to. Show me one non-z87 mobo with a good VRM that can handle the oc

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

If you count "dicking people because they have no competition" a good reason then sure. It's not like ocing was invented with the z87 chipset. Mobo makers know what they are doing.

yeah, but they also have good reason to. Show me one non-z87 mobo with a good VRM that can handle the oc

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers