Will games be updated to DX12?

Snickerzz

With the performance increases of DX12 would it be likely some game devs update their game to support DX12? How hard would that be, would the devs need to basically rebuild the game around DX12?

Edut~ I mean AAA games released in the last ~year that are still relevant like GTAV, Witcher 3, BF4, etc

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

No way. No one goes to old projects to revisit them and even older projects run just fine on old dx's.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah, old games won't get a dx12 update.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Not likely. But I think it's possible that BF:Hardline or BF:4 would get it, since it got update to mantle after release. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

No way. No one goes to old projects to revisit them and even older projects run just fine on old dx's.

Yeah, old games won't get a dx12 update.

even huge triple AAA titles like GTAV and Witcher 3? Wasn't BF4 updated for mantle?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

even huge triple AAA titles like GTAV and Witcher 3? Wasn't BF4 updated for mantle?

Maybe those games might, but I thought you meant games like crysis 3, skyrim, and stuff...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Maybe those games might, but I thought you meant games like crysis 3, skyrim, and stuff...

noo i mean recent, still relevent titles

Not likely.

They are not gonna get more money from you by doing that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

a few games here and there if they are freshly released but it will be few and far between most likely

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I'd say GTA V may be an exception because of the whole GTA Online thing but majority of AAA games probably won't.

Nope ... Because ain't nobody got time for that ... 

Maybe games that have constant update like Dota 2 will ... we never know cause we can't see the future ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Don't expect already released games to be updated. But we can expect a good adoption rate amongst new games.

Mass Effect 4 is one game I'm looking forward to in early 2016; and it will definitely be on Vulkan or DX12.

Will current AAA games be updated to DX12?......Some, and probably not quite the ones you expect. Basically it will come down to whether it makes economic sense for the some of the development team to get pulled of current, and future projects to update the code so that it works, and whether they're willing to pay for nividea, and AMD "consultants" to help optimise for their card.

So what games will get updated..... I can see most games in the current development cycle getting the update, things like the division. Most MMO's will be updated eventually (I expect this to take quite awhile as most of them run so well on DX11). Graphically demanding games that rely on their multiplayer portions, like COD, and battlefield. And then there's the last portion of the industry. People like CDprjoktred, and MAXIs. People who have always gone back, and patched their games because they care about their reputations. I'll be a bit cynical here, and say that their reputations do effect their bottom line, but I still thank them for acting like human beings. (Anyone think that ACIV will get an update?)

Even recent games might not be updated to dx12 as it's only available for windows 10. If we're lucky, dx12 won't catch on at all.

Most MMO's will be updated eventually (I expect this to take quite awhile as most of them run so well on DX11)

I thought large multiplayer games were the ones struggling with CPU bottlenecks?

I thought large multiplayer games were the ones struggling with CPU bottlenecks?

Yeah, but that won't be affected by a dx12 update that much. There are very few games optimised for multicore gaming. GTAV showed us that it can be done (And I've got a sort of a smug grin here because I run a 5960) We have however reached the limit on what can be rendered onscreen, I'm pretty sure unity has shown us that, (I'm not defending ubisoft, If they couldn't figure out they had to work with current limitations their development team needs a big slap around the head) The hardware at the moment isn't a problem, It works better than fine, it's just the interface between the hardware, and the software slowing things down.

DX11 was released in 08. I'm pretty sure most people will agree it was showing it's age way before AC unity came out. I'm not happy about microsoft requiring an update to windows 10 before they support it, but it's their choice (and maybe something in the coding requires something new....I don't believe it, but just saying).

I thought I read somewhere about a tweet post from CDPR dev 'might' consider working on a dx12 patch for Witcher 3.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

wait for DX 12 to come out first..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

if we're lucky, dx12 won't catch on at all.

...Can I unlike a post?

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Not going to happen...

A better question to ask would be: will games running at 30FPS ever be considered unacceptable by game developers?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

Not likely. But I think it's possible that BF:Hardline or BF:4 would get it, since it got update to mantle after release.

Those games already had Mantle in their dev pipeline.

Plus, I don't think it'd me a massive improvement unless the game is built around it. The game that was ported to dx12 first barely made a dent in performance.

With the performance increases of DX12 would it be likely some game devs update their game to support DX12? How hard would that be, would the devs need to basically rebuild the game around DX12?

Edut~ I mean AAA games released in the last ~year that are still relevant like GTAV, Witcher 3, BF4, etc

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Also, no.

(No)

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Witcher 3 

YES it will

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

...Can I unlike a post?

It would be beneficial for everyone except m$ if dx12 failed as it would be easier for vulkan to become the standard then.

Sometimes it feels like people don't even know or care about vulkan. :(