The Witcher 3 Developers Assures Textures Remain the Same from 2013

TwistedDictator
Go to solution Solved by TwistedDictator,

I'd still like to know how it strains the eyes. If it doesn't look good, that's another thing entirely, but that's not what they are claiming. They're claiming that it strains the eyes. Don't confuse the point.

(also I wouldn't know about arma 3 because I don't play arma because I think the engine sucks, granted I have only technically played arma 2 via DayZ standalone)

God why complain? Its their prefernce, they still give users the options to enable more details. This is one reason why we as a PC community get crappy stuff as people like you always cry and complain lol. THEY DIDNT EVEN REMOVE THE FEATURE, YOU CAN JUST TURN IT BACK ON! But you first comment lol It seems like you just jumped the hate wagon lol The worst part is it is the sharpening filter, which no one likes LOOL!

Its ridiculous, I seen xbox users behave better then this...

Even though they made a bad call, basing their game on GameWorks, CD project RED, is still one of the most respectable devs out there. They are as open as one can demand. They released the game to the reviewers, and let them post the reviews a week in advance. Thus, everyone gets a chance, to get insight into the game, before buying. No one can call themselves cheated.

And they even led you mod the game, with official tools. Too much whining. Just understand, that the heavy tessellation and compute effects in GameWorks, runs crap on everything. It's simply too taxing.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's a subsection of the graphics menu. It's been shown in a couple videos of people claiming to play on ultra and then half the settings are off.

Redkit is CDPR's creation kit, basically. I assume that even the sharpen in the game,) is not quite as overbearing, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the redkit.

Regardless, I'm getting it. I'll be happy to upload some uncompressed 1440p gameplay if you guys want, showing off multiple setting changes (and maybe some sweetfx to color shift)

I am going to do this also, screenshots are the better way to go. Uncompressed gameplay still is limited by bitrate you record at.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Even though they made a bad call, basing their game on GameWorks, CD project RED, is still one of the most respectable devs out there. They are as open as one can demand. They released the game to the reviewers, and let them post the reviews a week in advance. Thus, everyone gets a chance, to get insight into the game, before buying. No one can call themselves cheated.

And they even led you mod the game, with official tools. Too much whining. Just understand, that the heavy tessellation and compute effects in GameWorks, runs crap on everything. It's simply too taxing.

yes, let's all learn from the shitstorm that is project cars. lying devs, nvidia actively fucking over AMD during the development process, games without the option to turn off nvidia's proprietary bullshit....

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I'm glad this has been straightened out and nothing is wrong. Really looking forward to this game.

......better looking graphics strain the eyes?

Really?

REALLY?

That's this biggest f**king cop-out bullsh*t excuse I've ever f**king heard in my entire life. Stop lying, stop downgrading games to make consoles seem relevant, and just

STOP

I stare at three monitors all day long, a little bit of sway the the leaves and grass (which appears in other games) Isn't going to strain my f**king eyes.

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW BAD SHARPENING FILTERS ARE? 

There is a reason why ARMA III got an update where you can now turn off sharpening, previously sharpening was applied with FXAA, you can't turn it off. if you now apply sharpening without FXAA post-update, you can still see the white pixels. Sharpening looks good at first, but then you'll see the harsh white/black pixels around objects and tones in textures to make them appear "sharp", it just looks fake. Your monitor/TV should already have this feature.

I don't even know who wants sharpening. They look good on compressed YouTube videos and JPEG screenshots but playing with them on games look terrible (yes I did experiment with SweetFX's sharpening filter and my monitor's own sharpening values)

Use SweetFX if you want some unnatural filter on your screen.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I am going to do this also, screenshots are the better way to go. Uncompressed gameplay still is limited by bitrate you record at.

yeah, I dunno what bitrate to use. plus, I don't have space to start storing footage.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

-snip

There is a reason why ARMA III got an update where you can now turn off sharpening, previously sharpening was applied with FXAA, you can't turn it off. if you now apply sharpening without FXAA post-update, you can still see the white pixels. Sharpening looks good at first, but then you'll see the harsh white/black pixels around objects to make them appear "sharp", it just looks fake. Your monitor/TV should already have this feature.

I don't even know who wants sharpening. They look good on compressed YouTube videos and JPEG screenshots but playing with them on games look terrible (yes I did experiment with SweetFX's sharpening filter and my monitor's own sharpening values)

Use SweetFX if you want some unnatural filter on your screen.

I'd still like to know how it strains the eyes. If it doesn't look good, that's another thing entirely, but that's not what they are claiming. They're claiming that it strains the eyes. Don't confuse the point.

(also I wouldn't know about arma 3 because I don't play arma because I think the engine sucks, granted I have only technically played arma 2 via DayZ standalone)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

God why complain? Its their prefernce, they still give users the options to enable more details. This is one reason why we as a PC community get crappy stuff as people like you always cry and complain lol. THEY DIDNT EVEN REMOVE THE FEATURE, YOU CAN JUST TURN IT BACK ON! But you first comment lol It seems like you just jumped the hate wagon lol The worst part is it is the sharpening filter, which no one likes LOOL!

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Shouldn't have to do that amount of work to get a game to it's stock max settings on PC.

The idea that they did this "because it strained your eyes" is utter bullsh*t, just the same as people claiming "above 30fps strains your eyes" is bullsh*t.

He's simply throwing stuff against the wall, to see what will stick.

Who cares if its bullshit, do you even want to put the sharpening filter? I don't know anyone who want to make their look worse than a compressed YouTube video.

And what if I say sharpening makes my eyes strained, would you still call that bullshit. You can call bullshit on anything.

Seriously, do you want the LTT forum to conduct a study on eye straining from sharpening filter to make you happy?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

yeah, I dunno what bitrate to use. plus, I don't have space to start storing footage.

Just take screenshot comparisons.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

God why complain? Its their prefernce, they still give users the options to enable more details. This is one reason why we as a PC community get crappy stuff as people like you always cry and complain lol. THEY DIDNT EVEN REMOVE THE FEATURE, YOU CAN JUST TURN IT BACK ON!

Who cares if its bullshit, do you even want to put the sharpening filter? I don't know anyone who want to make their look worse than a compressed YouTube video.

And what if I say sharpening makes my eyes strained, would you still call that bullshit. You can call bullshit on anything.

But seriously, who uses sharpening to make the game "look better".

If a feature makes a game look worse, or strain your eyes (which I still don't see how that can happen, just speaking from my experience) then why is it even there.

If "sharpening" makes a game look so much worse....then why is it there? What's the point of it?

That's all I feel really needs to be said. If it makes a game look worse, objectively, under all circumstances, why turn it off instead of just removing it all together? Hence, bullshit they made up to justify degrading the game to make console look less bad.

OR

they're just idiots that added/included a graphical feature that makes a game look worse under all circumstances and or conditions (pre-empting the "lower settings" comeback)

God why complain? Its their prefernce, they still give users the options to enable more details. This is one reason why we as a PC community get crappy stuff as people like you always cry and complain lol. THEY DIDNT EVEN REMOVE THE FEATURE, YOU CAN JUST TURN IT BACK ON! But you first comment lol It seems like you just jumped the hate wagon lol

This has been pointed out and he continues to argue that it's not "easy enough" and "why should I be bothered" and such. Apparently changing anything on a game it's a no for him, which kind of completely and utterly defeats the point of PC gaming in general altogether which is to be flexible and customizeable 

Or he might just be saving face after he just flat out forgot to carefully read the original post and it had to be pointed out to him that his outrage was premature since you can turn off the feature, whichever makes more sense to you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If a feature makes a game look worse, or strain your eyes (which I still don't see how that can happen, just speaking from my experience) then why is it even there.

If "sharpening" makes a game look so much worse....then why is it there? What's the point of it?

That's all I feel really needs to be said. If it makes a game look worse, objectively, why turn it off instead of just removing it all together? Hence, bullshit they made up to justify degrading the game to make console look less bad.

OR

they're just idiots that added/included a graphical feature that makes a game look worse.

Are you trolling?

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

-snip-

Here are some example of people that their eyes don't like sharpening. Are you going to still argue?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721277

Some of my friends tvs hurt my eyes with the sharpening settings they run at. At least I don't have to get headaches from looking at flashing CRT's as anything under 85hz I can see. Walked out of Resident evil: resurrection because of all the water mark patterns covering the screen in all the good scenes but none of my friends could see them.

http://n4g.com/news/1457352/new-xbox-one-update-removes-the-hated-sharpening-filter-screenshots-inside

Good God, I always wondered why looking at the interface hurt my eyes; thought it was my TV.

^This guy is talking about the sharpening filter on Xbox One on menus and games which is now patched and can be turned off.

You don't need a study to confirm this, people experience it eye straining from sharpening.

Are you trolling?No, I'm not trolling. I'm asking a question.

Here are some example of people that their eyes don't like sharpening. Are you going to still argue?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721277

http://n4g.com/news/1457352/new-xbox-one-update-removes-the-hated-sharpening-filter-screenshots-inside

You don't need a study to confirm this, people experience it eye straining from sharpening.

If this feature makes the game look worse, why is it there? Under what circumstances would someone prefer a feature that makes a game look worse? (other than increasing framerate or decreasing latency. Talking about aesthetics here, not performance. Assuming they didn't turn things off to lower performance on pc and heighten performance on console, creating what they call "parity". which is what all of you are assuming. Likely because you have already bought the game)

I refer you to the following thread. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365942-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-what-was-shown-in-2013-now-with-ps4-comparison-video/

I'm done here, as you are either defending "parity" or incompetence.

No, I'm not trolling. I'm asking a question.

If this feature makes the game look worse, why is it there? Under what circumstances would someone prefer a feature that makes a game look worse? (other than increasing framerate or decreasing latency. Talking about aesthetics here, not performance. Assuming they didn't turn things off to lower performance on pc and heighten performance on console, creating what they call "parity". which is what all of you are assuming. Likely because you have already bought the game)

Because some people like it for some reason?

No, I'm not trolling. I'm asking a question.

I refer you to the following thread. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365942-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-what-was-shown-in-2013-now-with-ps4-comparison-video/

Sharpening looks good on a compressed YouTube video, streaming or JPEG screenshots which can help sell the game (promotional screenshots, trailers, etc)

Some people don't turn it off because they didn't notice it. Some people are sensitive to it (either sickness or it looks ugly to them).

The reason why ARMA III uses sharpening filter because they thought it will make FXAA less blurry, but they just made it worse.

Some people uses sharpening because they THINK it looks good just like the argument of "30FPS is more cinematic" or when you walk into a TV shop and see bright TVs and dim TVs, we all know brighter isn't better but brighter TV seem to sell more because they THINK its better.

So if I am to make an analogy, "saying sharpening filter look better is like saying 30FPS is better because it's cinematic".

If this feature makes the game look worse, why is it there?

No one is perfect, developers think sharpening is good so they put it on their games, it doesn't mean it is better, they just didn't know it will impact the game negatively. Everyone can make mistakes even developers. Remember FXAA was suppose to solve our aliasing problems, but not everyone uses it because it makes the game blurry, sharpening is just like that - dev thinks its good, they put it in game, then realise other people think its not good.

So why this feature is here?

Basically the reason why they had sharpening in the first place because they thought it looked good, but developers are not always right. No one is perfect.

@Trik'Stari And sorry I bashed you earlier, though you made it sound like you were mad by posting a rant with big letters.

@Trik'Stari is allowed to hold an opinion, no matter how far off his opinion may be.

Shame on the OP for basically embarrassing him by answering the thread and mocking him for all to see.

Grow the fuck up already, all of you. Seriously.

@Blade of Grass, this needs some cleaning IMHO. If Twisted wants to mock Trik so badly, he can do it in a PM. LTT is better than this. 

......better looking graphics strain the eyes?

Really?

REALLY?

That's this biggest f**king cop-out bullsh*t excuse I've ever f**king heard in my entire life. Stop lying, stop downgrading games to make consoles seem relevant, and just

STOP

I stare at three monitors all day long, a little bit of sway the the leaves and grass (which appears in other games) Isn't going to strain my f**king eyes.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

snip

how is this answering his post in any way?

Daily Driver:

-vid-

Again, nobody has reviewed the PC version yet and nobody is allowed to break embargo so either the video is a lie and it's passing console footage as PC or it's a pirated version or broke NDA blatantly. Whatever the case is, not the most reliable source, it's a good idea to wait on accusations if they would reveal onceself in the process.

-------

Current Rig

-------

how is this answering his post in any way?

He wasn't asking anything.

I just linked a video that supports what he said.

he was saying sharpening doesn't cause him eye strain, he wasn't saying anything about the downgrade.

Daily Driver:

he was saying sharpening doesn't cause him eye strain, he wasn't saying anything about the downgrade.

Ahem...

Stop lying, stop downgrading games to make consoles seem relevant, and just

STOP

Except if what the developer said is right then it proves nothing. Until launch any video claiming to show the PC version at max settings is dubious, at best.