Office 2016 Public Preview availible (Mac and PC)

GoodBytes

Today at Microsoft Ignite event (Unlike BUILD event which targets developers, this one targets IT.. if you guys are interested I can cover it),

Microsoft announced that it now releasing Office 2016 Public Preview.

Word-2016-Preview_Real-Time-Co-auth-1024

Some of Office 2016 new features, is the new command search bar called "Tell Me", where you type what you want to do, and shows as result a clickable button or menu of the action you are looking for. For an overly simplistic example, say you are new to Word, and you want to make text bold, and you can't seam to find the darn Bold button for some reason, you type "make text bold', and the "Bold" command button will be listed. You click on it from the results, and voila, text will now be bold as you type.

Another feature is the ability to have multiple users working on the same document, and see what the others are typing live, like Google docs. This feature is also available on the online version of Office.

Office-2016-Public-Preview-now-available

As you can see a new theme is availible. The one pictured above is called "Colorful" and is the default one. You also have: Light Gray, Medium Gray, Dark Gray, and White.

It also includes Data Loss Protection (DLP), which allows IT to set restrictions on content for not allowing it to be accidentally distributed. (This is very business level feature).

Outlook supports multi-factor authentication, and more.

You can view the full list and more details here, and is also the source of this post:

http://blogs.office.com/2015/05/04/office-2016-public-preview-now-available/

You can get Office 2016 Preview 32 and 64-bit here: https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview

If you wonder, if you have Office 365 subscription, when Office 2016 will be released, you will be upgraded. There is no details on how it will exactly go, but that is all part of the service. You don't need to buy or get some sort of different subscription.

Update (Thanks @d3sl91)

Mac Version of Office 2016 Preview is available as well:

Office-2016-for-Mac-1-1024x588.png

Office-2016-for-Mac-2-1024x599.jpg

Office-2016-for-Mac-4-1024x599.jpg

It has the same features as the PC version now, and looks the same as well.

Source: http://blogs.office.com/2015/03/05/office-2016-mac-preview/

FINALLY. I'VE HAD A VM SET UP FOR THIS.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@GoodBytes

Thanks! As someone who uses office professionally every day... seeing what the updates will look like is of great interest to me. 

Did you hear mention of a release day? I just purchased my year of 365 (or rather, I used a coupon, so I have a free year).

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Oh man, this looks so good. I hope it is as easy to use as Office 2013.

Something that i can use! Yay!

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

Please do cover Ignite. In-depth would be good. I'm currently watching the live stream and there is some awesome news in there. Especially what they showcased with Cortana in build 10107 from the "fbl_shell1_dev_cortana" branch. The queries he could do on the audience data via Power BI integration was super cool and how Cortana seemingly made the charts/map plotting in real time based off his voice query. And the UI for Cortana was even further updated as well, looking a lot nicer.

post-385-0-35231500-1430755238.png

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Please do cover Ignite. In-depth would be good. I'm currently watching the live stream and there is some awesome news in there. Especially what they showcased with Cortana in build 10107 from the "fbl_shell1_dev_cortana" branch. The queries he could do on the audience data via Power BI integration was super cool and how Cortana seemingly made the charts/map plotting in real time based off his voice query. And the UI for Cortana was even further updated as well, looking a lot nicer.

attachicon.giffbl_shell1.png

What I am planing on doing, is spend time just going everything in details and make separate news posts for everything. Doing the big BUILD event coverage limited me in explaining things in details (but that is fine, as this is not a dev forum), and people didn't like the mass number of images all in one post.

What I am planing on doing, is spend time just going everything in details and make separate news posts for everything. Doing the big BUILD event coverage limited me in explaining things in details (but that is fine, as this is not a dev forum), and people didn't like the mass number of images all in one post.

Good idea. :D

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

@GoodBytes

http://blogs.office.com/2015/03/05/office-2016-mac-preview/

You may also want to throw this fact in here as well. Mac has their release preview going - and for the first update to happen since 2011.....man i'm excited. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Am using Office 2016. Is nice, and a much needed refresh, but doesn't blow my mind.

Great! I can now temporarily use Office to open school related documents without having to upload them to Office Online.

Every topic I post in dies.

Great! I can now temporarily use Office to open school related documents without having to upload them to Office Online.

You can download latest full Office version without a key and use it in read-only mode for free as well.

Great! Did you know that you can enjoy Office 365 for free as you are a student!

Contact your school to get it, if they don't manage it, Microsoft does so here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

Great! Did you know that you can enjoy Office 365 for free as you are a student!

Contact your school to get it, if they don't manage it, Microsoft does so here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

As far as I know, my school doesn't offer it (I'm in high school still). I'll still have to ask them sometime.

Every topic I post in dies.

At first glance the Mac version seems way faster/better at dealing with 20 000+ lines files, it was really slow with Office 2011. We'll see when I have real stuff to do with a similar file.

MS office still looks like a revamped version of 2007, so I think I'll stick with it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My college apparently has it-but students can't get acess to the copies.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Outlook is set up and working. Now to try out Word.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just tried outlook on my phone........much better that gmail to be honest. At least for exchange use. 

It says it supports Danish as a language, but I can only get proofing. I can't seem to change the display language :(

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I always wondered how come they didn't include Office with Windows as a better package and also more justified price.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I always wondered how come they didn't include Office with Windows as a better package and also more justified price.

The price of Windows is fully justified. In fact, it is practically free even if you buy the Pro version, retail box.

An Operating system is a super complex peace of software with super high yearly cost for support. Heck even Google has trouble with proper support for older devices (Android). It is really complicated peace of software where you cant' afford bugs. Image if your there is a bug, and the HDD/SSD is stuck at writing 1's or 0's everywhere, delete all your data. You can't afford this.

Look at AutoDesk software, say you want 3D Studio Max. A FAR FAR FAR more simple peace of software, and they are charging 3,675.00$.

And that is every year, if you want the latest version. While Windows is every 3 years (couple of month apart, and on average). Plus, if they are bugs in 3D Studio Max.. well you need to wait for next version, unless it is critical. Windows... You bought Windows 7? Guess what, you still get Windows updates until 2020. And I can assure you Microsoft employees are better paid and have better benefits than the ones from Autocad.

You also don't see Autodesk or even Adobe having a security team like Microsoft working in trying to not only discover and fix Windows/Office/IE/Edge security bugs, but also continuously fight all sorts of cyber level crimes, including spam.

Autodesk is just an example, you can compare it with any software company that sales anything at around the same price or more of Windows. The value you get is not even close to Windows.

Already, Office 365 is free for students. Contact your school for it, or visit Microsoft Office page for students. All you need is an e-mail from your school for validation.

In addition, you can use Office online, and Office touch version which are free (but limited in feature, but covers all the features you need to do basic documents/paper for school).

The price of Windows is fully justified. In fact, it is practically free even if you buy the Pro version, retail box.

An Operating system is a super complex peace of software with super high yearly cost for support. Heck even Google has trouble with proper support for older devices (Android). It is really complicated peace of software where you cant' afford bugs. Image if your there is a bug, and the HDD/SSD is stuck at writing 1's or 0's everywhere, delete all your data. You can't afford this.

Look at AutoDesk software, say you want 3D Studio Max. A FAR FAR FAR more simple peace of software, and they are charging 3,675.00$.

And that is every year, if you want the latest version. While Windows is every 3 years (couple of month apart, and on average). Plus, if they are bugs in 3D Studio Max.. well you need to wait for next version, unless it is critical. Windows... You bought Windows 7? Guess what, you still get Windows updates until 2020. And I can assure you Microsoft employees are better paid and have better benefits than the ones from Autocad.

You also don't see Autodesk or even Adobe having a security team like Microsoft working in trying to not only discover and fix Windows/Office/IE/Edge security bugs, but also continuously fight all sorts of cyber level crimes, including spam.

Autodesk is just an example, you can compare it with any software company that sales anything at around the same price or more of Windows. The value you get is not even close to Windows.

Already, Office 365 is free for students. Contact your school for it, or visit Microsoft Office page for students. All you need is an e-mail from your school for validation.

In addition, you can use Office online, and Office touch version which are free (but limited in feature, but covers all the features you need to do basic documents/paper for school).

Yeah I get that about OS being complicated and all, was just trying to say that would be more appealing if they included their Office in it without separate product., but oh well.

And software from AutoDesk and Adobe are professional grade for specific work and I can understand that pricing in a way.

Office 365 is a no for me and besides I'm not a student anymore as of lately.

Office online is not offline :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Omg about time it has been ages since office for widows has been released.

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb