Huge problem with gtx 970

Zackfoo

I'm using a asus strix gtx 970 with latest nvidia driver update for gta v. Processor is fx 6300 with cooler Master cpu Cooler overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I'm getting 40 to 50 fps with very high settings and 50 to 60 with all normal settings. I do not think this is how it suppose to works but I have no idea why. Vsync is off too btw. Is it processor bottlenecking?

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Most probably the games is not optimized. What game are you playing? What resolution as 970 is 1080p card

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

This fx 6300 lacks is in the area of single core performance which although not normally a major problem for server workloads, is always very relevant to desktop usage. The overall performance of the FX 6-Core is comparable to Intel's five years younger Core i7-950. I think you might get a bottleneck with a 970.

Is it processor bottlenecking?

Yes.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

It's called a CPU bottleneck. That CPU is VERY slow, and doesn't work well in the game. I get about the same with a 8320 and R9 270

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Damn. I followed linus Christmas build guide. Any other possibility?

Because on games like bioshock infinity, I was getting like steady 80 to 90 fps with all hultra.highest settings.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Is gta v. I installed latest nvidia drive for gta so I think it should be optimised tho.

I'm using a asus strix gtx 970 with latest nvidia driver update for gta v. Processor is fx 6300 with cooler Master cpu Cooler overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I'm getting 40 to 50 fps with very high settings and 50 to 60 with all normal settings. I do not think this is how it suppose to works but I have no idea why. Vsync is off too btw. Is it processor bottlenecking?

This fx 6300 lacks is in the area of single core performance which although not normally a major problem for server workloads, is always very relevant to desktop usage. The overall performance of the FX 6-Core is comparable to Intel's five years younger Core i7-950. I think you might get a bottleneck with a 970.

Yes.

It's called a CPU bottleneck. That CPU is VERY slow, and doesn't work well in the game. I get about the same with a 8320 and R9 270

It is NOT a CPU bottleneck. Please stop assuming that because it is AMD. I have a Phenom II X6 with a GTX 970, no issue running GTA V at solid 60FPS 1080p very high settings with 2x TXAA, only when I'm driving very fast in the city or flying overhead downtown does it drop down but I haven't seen below 52.

"Rawr XD"

It is NOT a CPU bottleneck. Please stop assuming that because it is AMD. I have a Phenom II X6 with a GTX 970, no issue running GTA V at solid 60FPS 1080p very high settings with 2x TXAA, only when I'm driving very fast in the city or flying overhead downtown does it drop down but I haven't seen below 52.

But it is.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

But it is.

I've personally done tests that prove that GTA 5 can utilize 6 AMD cores well and that, as far as up to 6 cores go, it definitely favors more cores over better single-threaded performance.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

Even though Thuban has better IPC then Vishera, OP's CPU is still more powerful running on all cores then mine is, considering the 1.2GHz clock speed difference. The red hate needs to stop. I don't favor either CPU brand (I own both) but in GTA 5 and OP's specific case, it is not a CPU bottleneck.

@Zackfoo have you tried the multiple guides on how to improve GTA V performance on Nvidia? 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350380-a-gta-v-fps-boost-trick-for-nvidia-users/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/354971-helpful-gta-v-performance-trick-for-nvidia-users/

"Rawr XD"

I've personally done tests that prove that GTA 5 can utilize 6 AMD cores well and that, as far as up to 6 cores go, it definitely favors more cores over better single-threaded performance.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

Even though Thuban has better IPC then Vishera, OP's CPU is still more powerful running on all cores then mine is, considering the 1.2GHz clock speed difference. The red hate needs to stop. I don't favor either CPU brand (I own both) but in GTA 5 and OP's specific case, it is not a CPU bottleneck.

>a 2 core being slightly inferior to a 6 core in games that favor multiple core CPUs

What a surprise, eh?

It is a bottleneck. Even though OPs cpu has 6 cores, the performance per core is much inferior to any intel cpu.

It's your 6300 bottlenecking the snot out of the 970... My Strix in GTA V can run maxed without touching anything in advanced settings and no MSAA at an average of 65-70FPS with rare dips down to 50FPS for a few seconds while loading other parts of the map.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

>a 2 core being slightly inferior to a 6 core in games that favor multiple core CPUs

What a surprise, eh?

It is a bottleneck. Even though OPs cpu has 6 cores, the performance per core is much inferior to any intel cpu.

It's not slightly inferior, when playing the game there is very noticeable stuttering on the G3258 that doesn't occur on the Phenom. Also keep in mind that the Phenom II architecture is 6 years old. Yes, what a surprise, 6 AMD cores from 2010 is better then two 2 Intel cores from 2014... 

I'm not saying that there's zero bottleneck with the 970, I'm saying that OP is getting less performance then he could be and it is NOT the CPU's fault. He could be getting better performance with an Intel CPU, but he should be getting better performance with the CPU he has now.

"Rawr XD"

It's your 6300 bottlenecking the snot out of the 970... My Strix in GTA V can run maxed without touching anything in advanced settings and no MSAA at an average of 65-70FPS with rare dips down to 50FPS for a few seconds while loading other parts of the map.

Read above. I get the same performance as you with a stock speed Phenom II X6. Not a CPU bottleneck.

"Rawr XD"

Damn. I followed linus Christmas build guide. 

And if you read the comments on that youtube video and/or the posts on this forum, you knew that pretty much everyone thought it was a stupid idea.

Seriously though, what was Linus thinking with this build.

@LinusTech this is why we called you out on it, and the build is still active. Way to go buddy, good job.

It's not slightly inferior, when playing the game there is very noticeable stuttering on the G3258 that doesn't occur on the Phenom. Also keep in mind that the Phenom II architecture is 6 years old. Yes, what a surprise, 6 AMD cores from 2010 is better then two 2 Intel cores from 2014... 

I'm not saying that there's zero bottleneck with the 970, I'm saying that OP is getting less performance then he could be and it is NOT the CPU's fault. He could be getting better performance with an Intel CPU, but he should be getting better performance with the CPU he has now.

Yeah well, Vishera is 3 years old as well.

But honestly, I don't see what could be the cause if you say it's not the CPU.

@Zackfoo have you tried the multiple guides on how to improve GTA V performance on Nvidia? 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350380-a-gta-v-fps-boost-trick-for-nvidia-users/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/354971-helpful-gta-v-performance-trick-for-nvidia-users/

GTA V relies heavily on cpu and amd just isn't cutting it.

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

Read above. I get the same performance as you with a stock speed Phenom II X6. Not a CPU bottleneck.

hmmm... Wondering if his 970 is overheating and throttling. The Strix cooler isn't the greatest at keeping gpus cooled... I hit 70C at 1500RPM in most games... Then KF2 is the only game it'll hit 76C and start throttling if I don't put the fanspeed at 2100RPM.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

But it is a bottleneck. I care little for your invested interest in AMD, pundits making shit up grinds my gears to no end.

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts5/gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

You're the one that's making that damn graph grind up my gears to no end... Those look identical to the results I was getting before updating to Catalyst 15.4 Beta, so your care for my invested interest in AMD is irrelevant. 

"Rawr XD"

You're the one that's making that damn graph grind up my gears to no end... Those look identical to the results I was getting before updating to Catalyst 15.4 Beta, so your care for my invested interest in AMD is irrelevant. 

Yes I just created that graph in paint. It's completely fabricated.

What?

This has nothing to do with the catalyst driver, OP is using a 970. 

Yes I just created that graph in paint. It's completely fabricated.

What?

Again,

I'm not saying that there's zero bottleneck with the 970, I'm saying that OP is getting less performance then he could be and it is NOT the CPU's fault. He could be getting better performance with an Intel CPU, but he should be getting better performance with the CPU he has now.

Until you can prove that the tests were done using proper GTA V optimized drivers there's nothing to prove. I also thought my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU to shit and was going to switch out my Phenom for my i5 if it hadn't been for someone on Reddit telling me to update to newer drivers and it made a night and day difference. 

"Rawr XD"

Okay now so this is caused by gta v being a game which is cpu intensive rather than gpu intensive? Then I kinda get it now why the rest of the game is a lot more higher in the fps compared to gta v. Thx guys. Fast response is appreciated. To those who thinks that might not be cpu bottlenecking, it really might not be but no other explanation to my situation now. Thx to all of you but guys let's chill out red team aren't that bad too.