I need help with CPU's

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

Well, this is a bit awkward. I said that my store did not have a i7 unlocked CPU, we'll it seems like they do have one. The i7-4790K. Will that be a good choice? It is a bit expensive, but I can live with it (I guess)

oh well go for it

and pick a nice Z97 board to go with it

I've been more and more confused when it comes to CPU's. I need a CPU that can fit into a LGA-1150 socket. I'm also planning to try some over clocking, but I heard that the CPU's marked with a K is unlocked, and can be over clocked as much as I want, and the other ones cannot be over clocked much. Unfortunately my store does not have a i7 LGA-1150 socket. So I'm looking on some i5's.

Now I've also heard that the i5's does not have hyperthreading. And hyperthreading is great for multitasking. And I'm a heavy multitasker.

So my question is, what will be suitable for me?

Thank you for reading and answering!

get the 4690k its the best i5 you can get atm

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

what is the budget of the PC?

the i5 4690k or the 4670k may be more than enough for you if you are just gaming

unless you do lots of photo and video editing which is part of your job will the i7 be worth the money

before you forget

always pick the Z97 boards for the K unlocked CPUs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what is the budget of the PC?

the i5 4690k or the 4670k may be more than enough for you if you are just gaming

unless you do lots of photo and video editing which is part of your job will the i7 be worth the money

before you forget

always pick the Z97 boards for the K unlocked CPUs

The budget is around $2500.

For the most part I'll be gaming, but I may also host a private server for me and my friends.

But why the Z97 motherboard? Won't the Z87 cap it?

For the most part I'll be gaming, but I may also host a private server for me and my friends.

the Z87 will work

it may need a BIOS update if the board is the older stock

newer batch will work out of the box

also Z97 supports Broadwell CPUs with just a BIOS update

no new if the Z87 supports Broadwell

what sort of games you are hosting?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Some i5s do feature hyperthreading (though very little) you can see a full list here of ALL Intel CPUs that feature hyperthreading.

Hyperthreading is good for multitasking but please watch this video about it: 

tl; didn't-watch: it can handle lots of data that a non-hyperthreaded CPU wouldn't be able to do, but it doesn't speed up the processing of the information itself, it just makes the delivery method of the data more efficient.

If you are planning to overclock I would recommend a K series processor from intel, but going by what you've said I'd recommend you to learn a little more about overclocking. Linus has a bunch of videos about it on the techquickie video and his main channel, so there is an abundance of information to look at. Although technically this isn't necessary I'd strongly recommend it.

Lastly, I don't know what you get up to on your PC, your budget, or anything regarding your other pieces of hardware, etc. so I have no ground to make an assumption of what CPU to go for. but I'll offer a few with differing price points:

i4 3225 ~ £110/$150

i5 3470 ~ £140/$170

i5 4690k ~ £170/$210

i7 3770k ~ £230/$380

If you found my post helpful make sure to press the "Like This" Button  ;)

If your budget is that much I'd definitely go for i7s it can't hurt :)

And as other users have stated go for Z87 motherboards.

If you found my post helpful make sure to press the "Like This" Button  ;)

tl; didn't-watch: it can handle lots of data that a non-hyperthreaded CPU wouldn't be able to do, but it doesn't speed up the processing of the information itself, it just makes the delivery method of the data more efficient.

If you are planning to overclock I would recommend a K series processor from intel, but going by what you've said I'd recommend you to learn a little more about overclocking. Linus has a bunch of videos about it on the techquickie video and his main channel, so there is an abundance of information to look at. Although technically this isn't necessary I'd strongly recommend it.

Lastly, I don't know what you get up to on your PC, your budget, or anything regarding your other pieces of hardware, etc. so I have no ground to make an assumption of what CPU to go for. but I'll offer a few with differing price points:

i4 3225 ~ £110/$150

i5 3470 ~ £140/$170

i5 4690k ~ £170/$210

i7 3770k ~ £230/$380

The only i5's that support HT are the Dual Cores (Mainly mobile) and you may also want to add the Xeon E3 1231 V3, which has no GPU but has HT and costs £198 if you dont mind losing the ability to OC, however you can get a higher clocked Xeon for a higher price.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Does the store have any Haswell Xeon E3 CPUs, like the Xeon E3-1230V3 (the V3 is very important - V2 is Ivy Bridge, and no suffix is Sandy Bridge)? Usually they cost slightly more than an i5 but bring hyper-threading to the mix. Just be wary, many models of the Xeon-E3 don't feature integrated graphics, so if you don't plan to have a dedicated GPU then the only Xeons on the table are the ones ending in 5 or 6 (e.g. E3-1225V3). The Xeons ending in 0 or 1 do not have onboard graphics.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Thanks to all of you for great response!

@dragoon20005

Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and other stuff (tons of mods/addons)

@MrLewisMHarris

I've already watched the video, I'll take a look :)

@TheGamingBarrel and @Hieb

Integrated graphics is just a waste. My store does have several Xeon's V3.

So the Xeon does not OC?

@dragoon20005

Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and other stuff (tons of mods/addons)

@MrLewisMHarris

So the Xeon does not OC?

yea the Xeons are like i7 but they are locked and dont come with the iGPU

but you can opt for the H97 board which are cheaper in some cases to save money

@dragoon20005

Minecraft, Garry's Mod, and other stuff

@MrLewisMHarris

So the Xeon does not OC?

It will overclock just like a non-k Chip, Base Clock only.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

yea the Xeons are like i7 but they are locked and dont come with the iGPU

but you can opt for the H97 board which are cheaper in some cases to save money

If that's the case, I guess I could ditch the OC motherboard and the liquid CPU cooler and go for the stock cooler to save some money?

If that's the case, I guess I could ditch the OC motherboard and the liquid CPU cooler and go for the stock cooler to save some money?

with the Xeon you can go H97 and stock cooler

with the Xeon you can go H97 and stock cooler

Well, this is a bit awkward. I said that my store did not have a i7 unlocked CPU, we'll it seems like they do have one. The i7-4790K. Will that be a good choice? It is a bit expensive, but I can live with it (I guess)

oh well go for it

oh well go for it

ok, but why is the Z97 better than the Z87?

ok, but why is the Z97 better than the Z87?

M.2 support

Broadwell Support