iPhone 5 --> Android

Aprils_Renegade

If the title wasn't obvious, I was thinking of moving to Android.

My contract is up next month, and I was thinking of getting a flagship Android device with the intentions of movies, gaming, apps and social networking.

I'm currently considering the S6 non-edge and possibly re-skin, depending on how much I like TouchWiz

How hard is it to adjust to Android? How good is the app market? My biggest concern is transferring content I had from my iPhone and iTunes as much as possible to Android. Stuff like Game saves (where applicable), Music, Movies, Data and Contacts. 

"If an Opportunity doesn't knock, build a Door." - Milton Berle

Is it possible to transfer game saves from files? I know some games use facebook to transfer saves but that's that? Everything else is easily transferable, I wouldn't use itunes though. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

My contract is up next month, and I was thinking of getting a flagship Android device with the intentions of movies, gaming, apps and social networking.

I'm currently considering the S6 non-edge and possibly re-skin, depending on how much I like TouchWiz

How hard is it to adjust to Android? How good is the app market? My biggest concern is transferring content I had from my iPhone and iTunes as much as possible to Android. Stuff like Game saves (where applicable), Music, Movies, Data and Contacts. 

TouchWiz is a bit pants, but its not as bad as it previously was

The Android app store is ok, but I still prefer the Apple app store, more apps, more games too and generally higher quality

Transferring stuff should be fine, but games saves i HIGHLY doubt are transferable, music, photos  movies and documents should be easy, just back up your phone and you can drop them onto the Android phone etc, contacts should be simple too

(note I am an iOS user)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's not hard to adjust (you can flash a different version on it very easily, you just have to look up a tutorial on it)

The App Market is pretty dang good and comparable with the App Store now (have a look for yourself at http://play.google.com/:P )

And putting music on an Android device is just as easy as putting it data on a flash drive. 

Connect your phone to the PC and drag and drop files. Could not be easier.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is pretty easy to adjust. A simple root with rom toolbox and everything can be changed, you can even overclock your phone if you would ever want to do this. As for transferring stuff over, if it is a file type that works on android, it will copy over easily.  

Well my phone is shit, I can't overclock it. I can underclock it. I guess that is what I get for buying a phone for less than 100cad.

First, touchwiz is not that great its a big battery hog and the number one reason people root their phones,  i suggest getting a phone with vanilla Android like the nexus 6 or the Moto X (2nd gen)    

second, im not sure as i've always used andriod

Third, Its not as large as IOS but it has a lot of apps. my mane problem is the top 100 apps seems like they were all downloaded by toddlers

fourth, game saves are gone you are SOL, music, movies, most data (PDF, Imamges ect) can be transferred over and contacts can defiantly be transferred 

HTID

Is it possible to transfer game saves from files? I know some games use facebook to transfer saves but that's that? Everything else is easily transferable, I wouldn't use itunes though. 

Call me an idiot, but i'm mostly concerned about my Clash of Clans village and Real Racing 3 save xD

And my Flappy Bird highscore..

It is pretty easy to adjust. A simple root with rom toolbox and everything can be changed, you can even overclock your phone if you would ever want to do this. As for transferring stuff over, if it is a file type that works on android, it will copy over easily.  

Well my phone is shit, I can't overclock it. I can underclock it. I guess that is what I get for buying a phone for less than 100cad.

First, touchwiz is not that great its a big battery hog and the number one reason people root their phones,  i suggest getting a phone with vanilla Android like the nexus 6 or the Moto X (2nd gen)    

second, im not sure as i've always used andriod

Third, Its not as large as IOS but it has a lot of apps. my mane problem is the top 100 apps seems like they were all downloaded by toddlers

fourth, game saves are gone you are SOL, music, movies, most data (PDF, Imamges ect) can be transferred over and contacts can defiantly be transferred 

It's not hard to adjust (you can flash a different version on it very easily, you just have to look up a tutorial on it)

The App Market is pretty dang good and comparable with the App Store now (have a look for yourself at http://play.google.com/ :P )

And putting music on an Android device is just as easy as putting it data on a flash drive. 

Connect your phone to the PC and drag and drop files. Could not be easier.

TouchWiz is a bit pants, but its not as bad as it previously was

The Android app store is ok, but I still prefer the Apple app store, more apps, more games too and generally higher quality

Transferring stuff should be fine, but games saves i HIGHLY doubt are transferable, music, photos  movies and documents should be easy, just back up your phone and you can drop them onto the Android phone etc, contacts should be simple too

(note I am an iOS user)

Thanks for the advice. I'm not lazy, but if it exists I would use it:

Is there any kind of software which you point your iTunes library to and it does it for you?

And how long does syncing data take, in general? I find that syncing just 1-2 songs onto my iPhone is such a pain through iTunes:

1) Connect your iPhone

2) Disconnect and re-connect your iPhone because iTunes only detected it for a brief second before rejecting it

3) Sign into iTunes multiple times, authorize your PC despite having already done it

4) Sync Purchases despite not having bought anything since the last sync

5) Attempt to add new .mp3 files to the library, no response

6) Do the same thing again, end up with 2 of the same .mp3

7) Delete the duplicate .mp3, sync your files

8) Finally sync your phone, unplug and use

9) Check your phone, realize nothing actually happened and there's no new music

10) Repeat steps 3,4,8 and 9 two more times until it finally works (usually 2-3 tries later)

11) Don't enjoy listening to new music because i'm in a bad mood

Time taken: 1hr, 12mins Mood: Hateful and Cynical

I'd really hate to have to do the same every single time I have to add something.

Also, what is Samsung's, or rather Google's software alternative to iTunes, or do you literally go into Windows Explorer and add them?

SNIP

Strange, never had an issue like that with iTunes for myself, also I sync over WIFI so I dont have to physically connect my phone, I just apply a new playlist on my PC and my phone automatically gets the new data, no effort or syncing required

You do not sync on android - you just connect the phone (or sd card) and drag and drop your music - done

(or you could use google music and upload 50 thousand tracks to their online service and stream your music down also works on ios and PC too)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Call me an idiot, but i'm mostly concerned about my Clash of Clans village and Real Racing 3 save xD

And my Flappy Bird highscore..

Real Racing 3 won't work for sure. I tried so many times. I cried for 2 weeks. I almost had all the cars

Is there any kind of software which you point your iTunes library to and it does it for you?

And how long does syncing data take, in general? I find that syncing just 1-2 songs onto my iPhone is such a pain through iTunes:

1) Connect your iPhone

2) Disconnect and re-connect your iPhone because iTunes only detected it for a brief second before rejecting it

3) Sign into iTunes multiple times, authorize your PC despite having already done it

10) Repeat steps 3,4,8 and 9 two more times until it finally works (usually 2-3 tries later)

I'd really hate to have to do the same every single time I have to add something.

Also, what is Samsung's, or rather Google's software alternative to iTunes, or do you literally go into Windows Explorer and add them?

Connect phone with cable -> drag and drop a song to it.

Duration: 2 mnutes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Real Racing 3 won't work for sure. I tried so many times. I cried for 2 weeks. I almost had all the cars

They're bound to implement it sometime in the future. There may already be a way to sync it - when was the last time you tried?

And how long does that game take? I've been playing for about a year, and I only have 5 cars

They're bound to implement it sometime in the future. There may already be a way to sync it - when was the last time you tried?

And how long does that game take? I've been playing for about a year, and I only have 5 cars

About 6 months, with the help of a brother and a girlfriend. I used money doe

Heyyo,

One thing to take heed of? Disable iMessage before moving to Android! Otherwise people using iMessage won't be able to send you texts for over a month.

http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/How-to-deactivate-iMessage-if-you-re-switching-from-iPhone

I don't wanna repeat what most have said but they pretty much said it spot on if you read all their posts.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

One thing to take heed of? Disable iMessage before moving to Android! Otherwise people using iMessage won't be able to send you texts for over a month.

http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/How-to-deactivate-iMessage-if-you-re-switching-from-iPhone

I don't wanna repeat what most have said but they pretty much said it spot on if you read all their posts.

I have known about this problem, but thanks for reminding me. By deleting your iDevice from iTunes, do you lose any data?

OP, make sure you disable iMessage using apples online tool when you get your new phone. (ignore the first step on their site (the one that says "still have an iphone?", it doesnt work all the time, just go straight to step 2 when you get your new phone)

If you dont do this, you will find yourself not getting texts (iMessages) from your contacts that have Apple Devices. Not fun. Many people I know threw away android for this one stupid reason. 

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I switched, coincidentally, from a iPhone 5 to a Samsung S4 about two years ago. All of my songs were easily synced through Windows Media Player. Samsung does have its own syncing program called Samsung Kies (if memory serves correctly) that works a lot like the iTunes client minus the store.

Game saves, as far as I know, are NOT transferrable except maybe in rare cases.

The transition wasn't as rough as I expected except for having to buy back some of my apps. But after that was done, I'd never go back.

// Don't forget to enter a concise, possibly witty statement about yourself

1) Connect your iPhone

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2500610?hl=en

That might help you out a ton

HTID

OP, make sure you disable iMessage using apples online tool when you get your new phone. (ignore the first step on their site (the one that says "still have an iphone?", it doesnt work all the time, just go straight to step 2 when you get your new phone)

If you dont do this, you will find yourself not getting texts (iMessages) from your contacts that have Apple Devices. Not fun. Many people I know threw away android for this one stupid reason. 

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage 

I've heard about this problem before, but thanks for the tip.

I switched, coincidentally, from a iPhone 5 to a Samsung S4 about two years ago. All of my songs were easily synced through Windows Media Player. Samsung does have its own syncing program called Samsung Kies (if memory serves correctly) that works a lot like the iTunes client minus the store.

Game saves, as far as I know, are NOT transferrable except maybe in rare cases.

The transition wasn't as rough as I expected except for having to buy back some of my apps. But after that was done, I'd never go back.

Kies sounds familiar - that might be it, actually.

Do apps cost alot on Play as they do on App Store? Would it be worth getting a Google Play Voucher?

Do apps cost alot on Play as they do on App Store? Would it be worth getting a Google Play Voucher?

You can try contacting the developers of the paid apps that you have on iOS and asking if they can get you a discount or code to get the app for free on Android.

And my Flappy Bird highscore.

In Clash you can link your village to facebook and that's milti-platform.

Apps cost the same if not less than the App Store. Some apps like Angry Birds are actually free w/ads instead of being $0.99. Also there seem to be more sales on Google Play than on the App Store

An iOS app developer once told me: "I develop for iOS because Android users don't like to pay." I'd still grab a voucher though. Just get some apps you may need regularly. However I've gotten away with maybe only buying some games with higher production values (Leo's Fortune, Civ Rev 2, etc.). If you have any specific questions, you can search the Google Play app store online.

// Don't forget to enter a concise, possibly witty statement about yourself

In Clash you can link your village to facebook and that's milti-platform.

Apps cost the same if not less than the App Store. Some apps like Angry Birds are actually free w/ads instead of being $0.99. Also there seem to be more sales on Google Play than on the App Store

An iOS app developer once told me: "I develop for iOS because Android users don't like to pay." I'd still grab a voucher though. Just get some apps you may need regularly. However I've gotten away with maybe only buying some games with higher production values (Leo's Fortune, Civ Rev 2, etc.). If you have any specific questions, you can search the Google Play app store online.

Much appreciated, thanks for the information.