Ouch! I thought the US laws that are starting to become more strict were bad...... Too many grey areas and blanket laws IMO. (the US laws arent much better, just, less of them :P)

It's funny, alot of quadcopter/FPV crowd here in the US tends to hate Phantom owners...mostly because they are so powerful and good, but also so well marketed. Kinda like Apple, everyone thinks "that white one with red stripes" whenever you say "drone". So, you end up with folks making the rest of the community look bad, by flying them downtown new york, crashing into cars, hurting people, buzzing homes, etc etc. Oh, and crashing in the white house lawn....

Not saying anything against you or what you said, just mentioning the "weather here in the US". Interesting times for RC owners. 

Yea, I've gotten that A LOT. I stopped hanging around /r/multirotors specifically because they think anyone touching a DJI product, whenever it be a Phantom or even a A2, is a bumbling idiot. 

You're right. DJI is popular and they sell a lot so of course if stupid shit happens, chances are it'll be a DJI product simply by the law of averages. Doesn't make all of us idiots. More like 5% are idiots, just like 5% of all hobbyists have idiots. 

Plus, some people get awfully elitist about the hobby. It really has to do with how plug and play even building your own quadcopter has become. No more witchcraft, just follow a spreadsheet and build something that is assured to work. 

@LinusTech

You might find this interesting.

A recent video from MrTechnicalDifficult showed his DJI F550 drone going rogue and injuring some lady (luckily not seriously). Something happens and the  "return home" feature fails. From there it goes a little crazy. This could have ended a lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szTkg_78sF0

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Yea, I've gotten that A LOT. I stopped hanging around /r/multirotors specifically because they think anyone touching a DJI product, whenever it be a Phantom or even a A2, is a bumbling idiot. 

You're right. DJI is popular and they sell a lot so of course if stupid shit happens, chances are it'll be a DJI product simply by the law of averages. Doesn't make all of us idiots. More like 5% are idiots, just like 5% of all hobbyists have idiots. 

Plus, some people get awfully elitist about the hobby. It really has to do with how plug and play even building your own quadcopter has become. No more witchcraft, just follow a spreadsheet and build something that is assured to work. 

I think the fact that the hobby is both so extremely expensive, but also so cheap, you will have the people who built a $2k unit who will look down on the dude who got one for $200 off amazon or someone who bought a prebuilt unit. Plus, it does take some skill to fly alot of these units well. Although that as well is getting easier. I could almost compare to Custom PC builders versus those who buy prebuilt...but...not really?

Thankfully I ran across FliteTest when I was first looking at quads (or, in their case, their tri's, and they seem to be very down to earth about their RC stuff and beginner friendly. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I think the fact that the hobby is both so extremely expensive, but also so cheap, you will have the people who built a $2k unit who will look down on the dude who got one for $200 off amazon or someone who bought a prebuilt unit. Plus, it does take some skill to fly alot of these units well. Although that as well is getting easier. I could almost compare to Custom PC builders versus those who buy prebuilt...but...not really?

Thankfully I ran across FliteTest when I was first looking at quads (or, in their case, their tri's, and they seem to be very down to earth about their RC stuff and beginner friendly. 

Yea I enjoy FliteTest, they're harsh but fair on everything they review and their videos are often great to watch. 

Mandrewoid

Linus, it looks like you had tons of fun making this video, but perhaps before you make the next drone video, you should make sure you don't break the law (repeatedly)while you do so

And where you see Linus braking Canadian law ?

Fact_Graph2_EN_s2.png

R\C copter and planes has been over 50 years and now everybody make big fuss about it

Worlds First RC Helicopter from 1941

it like bicycles 95% drive nice and safe but 5% stupid driver and everybody hate bicycles for couple of idiots  :mellow:

Could TunnelBear be used to circumvent dirty ISPs trying to put some services *cough* Netflix *cough* into a slow lane?

@Sokar80

He clearly flew the uav in a built up area, as evidenced by the houses. He also flew over a road, I'd be willing to bet, which is also strictly prohibited.

There are also more grey - ish areas such as this was a commercial flight, and I would assume he was flying fpv for the high aerial shots, as it would be impossible to tell the orientation of the drone at that height. Then there's the issue of altitude. Linus says it does go 1500 without even the disclaimer that this is illegal in Canada.

I think it would prudent for Linus to do his homework before playing with his "not a toy" because he has thousands of viewers who will consider this their homework and maybe go out and buy one and have it taken away.

This drone looks like it could be really fun to use filming people doing competitive of freestyle downhill skiing. Does anyone know what the environmental tolerances on these sorts of devices are? Especially cold. (I imagine that they don't work the best.)

Lithium Ion batteries don't perform well in the cold, so I'd imagine they wouldn't do that well :(

If that's what you will be doing with the bebop drone, I would recommend getting a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ v3 instead, but it does cost a bit more (it is $1,300)

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

"Our SD cards are in HD"
Oh my god. Whoever came up with that needs a "get un-fired free" card. Funniest thing I've seen for weeks!

Fractal Core 1000. Rosewill Capstone 450. EVGA P55 Micro. i5-750 @4.0 Ghz. Hyper 212+. EVGA GTX 670. 2x 4GB Corsair Vengance 1600. Corsair Force 120. Misc storage drives.

The drawing style of that grizzley bear on that site looks similar to the ones drew by Matthew Inman from the Oatmeal. I wonder if they hired him to do their website.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That's to bad, on the other hand ski hills near me are plenty warm right now (grrr Whister :angry:)  so maybe it is the perfect time for this sort of thing!

People have probably done the same thing with other drones before.

The thing about these $200+ quadcopters is that they start to become a little too expensive for simple toys, but they still make a ton of sense for serious work.

Getting an aerial view of some event, or some patch of land is probably worth the grand you'd spend on it in the first place.

I like it, especially the tablet and the controller that is really cool. But I really don't think it is worth $900, it would way better to just build your own quad, it would also give you the option to choose what type of camera you want on it, rather than being stuck with the one pre-installed on the Parrot.

Get back to work LMG, you are having too much fun.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Its an incredibly "stupid" platform in the sense that anyone can fly it, its so stabilized. But that also makes a dead end for anything more advanced. The main limitation is going to be range, its usually best to have a 2.4GHz band AND a 5.8GHz to handle control and video respectively, these all in one units combine everything to a single band which diminishes range. 

Its a nice enough drone, but for what they charge you're only a couple hundred off a Phantom 2 Vision which will be much better for you, just my thoughts. 

Alright I will keep that in mind!

iI'd love to see more video with this thing, On channel super fun. even just some fun derping around that the LMG guys think of. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

• 2 weeks later...

This would be fantastic for B-roll footage and vlogs. No jerky camera movement when trying to ghetto mod something while also trying to hold a camera.

something