For some reason I feel like everyone has bought into a miss-conception.

Jack.EXE

Alright, we all know Crossfire and SLI suffer from stutter, or at least they did.

However, while 2 way has always had this issue, 3 way has been flawless since day one.

A common solution back when the 6970 was a thing was to buy a third card if the two were stuttering.

you see, when you run 3 way cards, an odd phenomenon occurs. No matter how many GPUs were in the system, an odd number does not suffer from stuttering.

Tom's Hardware conducted a study in 2011 about how GPUs behave in multi-card situations, using 3x 6870s for this specific test:

Crossfire-SLI-stuttering,W-K-300548-22.p

We repeated this same test using a number of games yielding different average frame rates. So long as the average is above 30 FPS, the resulting output is almost stutter-free. Minor differences in when frames hit the screen are not apparent, and so they don't bother us at all. The experience is similar to using a single GPU.

After analyzing the dual-card configuration, this is certainly not what we were expecting.

The point is, people all too often overlook this phenomenon, which is all too useful for higher end configs.

Tom's Hardware Article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Alright, so the science behind this is actually in the way the drivers handle the multi-gpu configs.

In a two or four way config, the drivers assign each card its own frame, each taking a turn to render. the issue here is that if one GPU lags behind the other(s), it will cause micro-stutter.

in a three way GPU config, the drivers actually cant make sense of the 3rd card, it doesn't know how to incorporate it into a turn system, so it results in the 3 cards being treated as one, large, GPU, each contributing pixels to the picture as fast as they can, in no specific order.

Probably just AMD drivers being shitty as usual... ;P

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

And it looks nicer. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Uhm, explain this reasoning?

This occured with both Nvidia GPUs and AMD gpus, back in 2012 and earlier, both cards stuttered in dual card configs, yet were perfectly fine in 3 way.

Uhm, explain this reasoning?

This occured with both Nvidia GPUs and AMD gpus, back in 2012 and earlier, both cards stuttered in dual card configs, yet were perfectly fine in 3 way.

I was just kidding, i know both brands have had issues with this. AMD's drivers are just notoriously bad

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

so, the solution is to throw money at the problem?

hard to justify to signifigant other that buying ANOTHER graphics card wont add performance in most situations, and in some cases hurt it, but still helps lol

I suppose the real question is whether it is worth buying a whole new card (a new fantastic GPU) just to stop stuttering in a really minuscule number of games when the performance scaling really isn't fantastic. If it scaled well across the board AND established always consistent frame times then it would make more sense.

Alright, we all know Crossfire and SLI suffer from stutter, or at least they did.

However, while 2 way has always had this issue, 3 way has been flawless since day one.

A common solution back when the 6970 was a thing was to buy a third card if the two were stuttering.

you see, when you run 3 way cards, an odd phenomenon occurs. No matter how many GPUs were in the system, an odd number does not suffer from stuttering.

Tom's Hardware conducted a study in 2011 about how GPUs behave in multi-card situations, using 3x 6870s for this specific test:

Crossfire-SLI-stuttering,W-K-300548-22.p

The point is, people all too often overlook this phenomenon, which is all too useful for higher end configs.

Tom's Hardware Article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Bear with me while I get the science behind the phenomenon.

I had a 3-way setup and it was worse than 2-way..

But I'm sure its because I play on a 1080p display.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

I had a 3-way setup and it was worse than 2-way..

But I'm sure its because I play on a 1080p display.

Which cards?

But two-way SLI/CFX suffers less from issues of negative scaling, and in some cases, lower minimum framerates.

As far as I know microstutter is a non-issue today anyway, but that was an interesting read.

I wonder if they could implement the technique which accidentally solved 3way solutions to two and four cards.

Which cards?

Reference 7950's

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

3 way sli motherboards are so expensive though :(

I was just kidding, i know both brands have had issues with this. AMD's drivers are just notoriously bad

not the most recent one.... its working pretty damn well.

3 way sli motherboards are so expensive though :(

i dunno.. the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 from asus isnt that bad... only 110.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

But two-way SLI/CFX suffers less from issues of negative scaling, and in some cases, lower minimum framerates.

As far as I know microstutter is a non-issue today anyway, but that was an interesting read.

I wonder if they could implement the technique which accidentally solved 3way solutions to two and four cards.

oh it is definately a thing nowadays. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Both Nvidia and AMD drivers were balls-awful until a few years ago. I know for AMD at least you can assign AFR (alternate frame rendering) to assign each card to its own frame or even 1x1 AFR for severe compatibility issues, but regular crossfire and SLI do not work like this normally unless you manually set CF/SLI to AFR mode, which sucks. in a 3 monitor setup, I can see 2 cards causing all kinds of issues.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

oh it is definately a thing nowadays. 

I am very sensitive to micro stuttering and I can only tell you this I can´t see it anymore with my GTX980 2 way SLI. I recently built a rig with a GTX970 2way SLI and same, no MS at all. Maxwell and the nVidia drivers are working perfectly fine as far as I can tell.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I am very sensitive to micro stuttering and I can only tell you this I can´t see it anymore with my GTX980 2 way SLI. I recently built a rig with a GTX970 2way SLI and same, no MS at all. Maxwell and the nVidia drivers are working perfectly fine as far as I can tell.

well, the whole ''nowadays'' was very general.

with th newest tech no, however im sure it might happen eventually with certian issues.

with tech that is still valid today yes. (270, some APUs, yaddah yaddah)

-Jim Hensen

well, the whole ''nowadays'' was very general.

with th newest tech no, however im sure it might happen eventually with certian issues.

with tech that is still valid today yes. (270, some APUs, yaddah yaddah)

Oh I´ve seen other scenarios with cards like the 7990... that micro stuttering was driving me almost insane, and same with nVidia cards in the past. But lately AMD and nVidia seem to optimize their drivers better.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

That was also almost 4 years ago at this point

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Oh I´ve other scenarios with cards like the 7990... that micro stuttering was driving me almost insane, and same with nVidia cards in the past. But lately AMD and nVidia seem to optimize their drivers better.

yup.

it aint microstutter. its full on all 30 of my 42 fps in TF2 are being displayeed in the first 1/6 of the second, and the last frame is just kept there. 

annoying as hell. smooth STAHP.............. smoooooooooo as baby butt STAHP................. smooooooooooooooooo DIE IN A HOLE

-Jim Hensen

I seriously hope you are just a troll, This occurs in BOTH AMD and Nvidia dual GPU configs, so it may be badly designed drivers, but i would be badly designed drivers on both AMD and Nvidia's part.

I see a serious problem in designing the drivers like this, When you have a dual GPU setup, sure they are supposed to be the same card and output the same performance, but when you put two cards into SLI / CrossfireX next to each other, the top card gets significantly hotter, basically creating a bottleneck for the top card, it may not seem like much but it could be enough to create this kind of stutter. That is not even considering the amount of variation from card to card due to the manufacturing process.

Anyway, I find this quite interesting and I am going to give this a shot, I have a 6990 that is still going strong, I can probably find a 6970 for not too much, and report back my experience.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

This is completely accurate, the newest of both AMD and Nvidia have improved the frame stutter issue immensely.

The 290 / x fixes it by somehow making the CrossfireX do voodoo magic shit through the Pcie bus, and the Maxwell GPU's have some sort of actual physical hardware thing with them to improve it.

You just need to go back to 280x / 7970, or 770 / 680, to find microstutter.

So, technically the newest parts have fixed the problem, but people are still buying the older hardware and it isn't fixed in that. Leading me to believe it is more of a hardware problem than a software problem, although I am very aware that the software plays a big part in it.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.