Norway has different views on privacy: Police may stand to lose access to DMV records and more

That Norwegian Guy

In a surprise proposition, Norwegian legislators want to revoke police direct access to DMV records. The reason: privacy of Norwegian citizens.

2324868.jpg

Where before, any police officer could easily and quickly look up the road record of both driver and car, it is no longer going to be that easy if the proposition goes through.

The Norwegian police expectedly shudder at the thought of the added bureaucracy of having to go through the process of getting a warrant to get these records, which they've had unbridled access to for more than 100 years. While proponents of the legislative change are happy that 'recreational', 'nosy' or 'low threshold' use of the two registries (one for car owners and one for the vehicles) would be a thing of the past.

Access to the registries would be given as usual ahead of time to routine traffic patrols, however. But it would only be valid for the duration of the patrol.

Previously this year, Norway also reigned in on the 'tax search engine' system it has had for many years. Previously, anyone with a computer were able to look up official tax reports on any Norwegian citizen and see their income and tax for last year. Since 2014, this system is no longer anonymous, and each person are now able to see who searched for them. This has cut down searches by more than half.

Source: VG.no

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That's just. Weird.

It is quite usefull for them to have that information so easy at hand

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

One word: LUCKY!!!

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

So now the cops won't know if they are pulling over an extremely dangerous murderer that has 7 warrants out against him?

EDIT: it's a legit question, I can neither read Norwegian nor is the answer in the OP. 

EDIT2: spelling :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So know the cops won't know if they are pulling over an extremely dangerous murderer that has 7 warrants out against him?

EDIT: it's a legit question, I can neither read Norwegian nor is the answer in the OP. 

For the purpouse of prosecution, no they would not be able to access DMV records without court order.

The article states that during normally planned traffic controls/ patrols, permission to access the registries would be set in advance with a predetermined period. So in the field, officers would be able to search, granted only within a specific timeframe during a planned routine control.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

So know the cops won't know if they are pulling over an extremely dangerous murderer that has 7 warrants out against him?

It doesn't seem to read like that, no.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

For the purpouse of prosecution, no they would not be able to access DMV records without court order.

The article states that during normally planned traffic controls/ patrols, permission to access the registries would be set in advance with a predetermined period. So in the field, officers would be able to search, granted only within a specific timeframe during a planned routine control.

To be honest not too sure how I feel about it.  The cops can do that in Australia ( I guess in the US too),  I know if you rub a cop the wrong way you can land in an awful lot of trouble, however with electronic logs on everything they do, it is getting harder for cops to anonymously look up information or access files..

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think that is a little bit silly, I am all for privacy, but Police SHOULD have access to that kind of stuff

I guess as long as they have access during normal routine partrols then its ok

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

if i were an internet company i would be looking to move servers to norway, i mean green energy, sensible laws.