4K TV Shipments Soar to 6.4 Million this year..

Awesome, I hope 4k takes off more and more :) I am looking to switch up to 4k after christmas

My friend has a 4k TV in his front room. It's ballin.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

My friend has a 4k TV in his front room. It's ballin.

Yeah same they are gorgeous !!! gaming and movies are freaking amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah same they are gorgeous !!! gaming and movies are freaking amazing

The one game he played with his 2GB GTX 670 was Audiosurf in 4k. Darude - Sandstorm never looked so vibrant. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The one game he played with his 2GB GTX 670 was Audiosurf in 4k. Darude - Sandstorm never looked so vibrant. 

wow hahahaha what a game <3

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Funny how TV channels are still on 480p, and people buy 4k TV's because they think they can watch their fav (480p) channels in 4k.

attachicon.gifpic.gif

A lot of stuff in the UK airs at 1080p. They give the standard channel as well as a HD version, both of which are viewable for free. Like BBC1 and BBC1 HD and Sky and Sky HD.

Not sure about other countries yet however. I'd say the UK would think about pushing 4K streaming when they figure out how to do it.

In fact - http://www.techradar.com/news/television/4k-tv-broadcasts-are-on-the-way-but-there-are-problems-ahead-1259434

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

A lot of stuff in the UK airs at 1080p. They give the standard channel as well as a HD version, both of which are viewable for free. Like BBC1 and BBC1 HD and Sky and Sky HD.

Not sure about other countries yet however. I'd say the UK would think about pushing 4K streaming when they figure out how to do it.

In fact - http://www.techradar.com/news/television/4k-tv-broadcasts-are-on-the-way-but-there-are-problems-ahead-1259434

Love the UK for the 1080p TV streams. BBC will definitely push for 4K. Probably for documentaries, Strictly Come Dancing (mum watches it i swear) and of course, Sport. 

Love the UK for the 1080p TV streams. BBC will definitely push for 4K. Probably for documentaries, Strictly Come Dancing (mum watches it i swear) and of course, Sport. 

No doubt about it, also Sky and BT etc are probably already working on a 4K version of popular channels such as Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc etc.

System Specs:

I love how everyone is all "But there's no 4K TV programming!" So? Pretty much everyone has a 1080p at this point and we still don't have 1080p TV programming yet! Most "HD" channels are just 720p.

So all you folks acting like we need 4K TV programming for 4K TV to sell are wrong.  ;)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Your eyes can't even see more than 720p anyway.

Pass the doobie, I think you've had enough.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Whoa now, just hold on, our most wonderful free to air TV channels are mostly broadcasted in glorious 576i not that terrible in comparison 480p.

At least it's not 480i, Ewwww interlaced video!

In here we still have some channels that broadcast in 480i, so my 720p, 6 years old Sony won't be going anywhere soon (for those who use the "free" national tv service, an old crt is enough, since the signal is so bad in many places the quality seems like I've just been sent into the 90s again). Though I do see myself, in the next 3-4 years, upgrading my 1080p monitor to a 4k one, by then windows should scale correctly (I hope). 4k television won't take off that soon, unfortunately. As someone already said, our HD channels are still transmitting in 720p (and, funnily enough, I discovered an HD one that was 576p).

I love how everyone is all "But there's no 4K TV programming!" So? Pretty much everyone has a 1080p at this point and we still don't have 1080p TV programming yet! Most "HD" channels are just 720p.

So all you folks acting like we need 4K TV programming for 4K TV to sell are wrong.  ;)

Sorry, my mistake.

I love how everyone is all "But there's no 4K TV programming!" So? Pretty much everyone has a 1080p at this point and we still don't have 1080p TV programming yet! Most "HD" channels are just 720p.

So all you folks acting like we need 4K TV programming for 4K TV to sell are wrong. ;)

not really. At least you can game on 1080p. And there is actually decent content for it. With 4k, you can't realistically game, virtually no TV programming and barely any demo content. There just isn't a point in buying one yet. The only reason at this point in buying one is bragging rights. It's also a big investment for gaming because you need a damn expensive machine to drive it.

Funny how TV channels are still on 480p, and people buy 4k TV's because they think they can watch their fav (480p) channels in 4k.

attachicon.gifpic.gif

I bought one, I don't watch TV that much. I bought it for movies.(When 4K Blu-rays come out) Stop assuming things about us 4K owners.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

That's pretty impressive considering how niche thing.

Posts from main rig, and sometimes from Surface Pro 3 (i5 128GB 4GB RAM)

I bought one, I don't watch TV that much. I bought it for movies.(When 4K Blu-rays come out) Stop assuming things about us 4K owners.

I'm not saying everyone buys 4k tv's for a stupid reason, I am saying that the average consumer doesn't know that 480p doesn't turn into 2160p magically, lol

I'm not saying everyone buys 4k tv's for a stupid reason, I am saying that the average consumer doesn't know that 480p doesn't turn into 2160p magically, lol

Hmm, OK. I understand that people to not realise that. However, I actually bought mine because I wanted a new TV and the 4K one was the same price as the equivalent 1080p one. Was on sale @ Dick Smith. So it wasn't really just because 4K HYPE!

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Hmm, OK. I understand that people to not realise that. However, I actually bought mine because I wanted a new TV and the 4K one was the same price as the equivalent 1080p one. Was on sale @ Dick Smith. So it wasn't really just because 4K HYPE!

Okay

Shipments... not sales.

A big portion of this will rot in warehouses and stores until prices are reasonable and 51% of content is 4K.

They aren't. We're talking shipments to distributors, not sales to consumers. The industry is just making a very big gamble (mistake)

I think you're significantly underestimating.

Retailers/Distributors aren't morons. They don't just order any old shit and hope it sells. There has to be a demand, and the increased shipments reflects a rise in demand.

Actually, DVB-T2, DVB-S2, and DVB-C2 do not recognize 1080p as part of the standard. Broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i and that is at the discretion of the broadcaster. BBC used to use high bit rate 1080i and it looked great. Then they dropped the quality, though, and now it looks about as good as any other HD channel.

Actually, DVB-T2, DVB-S2, and DVB-C2 do not recognize 1080p as part of the standard. Broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i and that is at the discretion of the broadcaster. BBC used to use high bit rate 1080i and it looked great. Then they dropped the quality, though, and now it looks about as good as any other HD channel.

At least its 1080 and not 480p

System Specs:

At least its 1080 and not 480p

Absolutely. I was just being a pedant. Sorry. :P

Absolutely. I was just being a pedant. Sorry. :P

Haha thats fine, I can see your point though :)

System Specs: