So how much does a review Influence your purchase decision?

Muffinmaddness

I do take everything into account, but also if Linus raves about a product It will influence me quite a bit, and I think that's the same for most people, even if they don't know it.

Thank you.

Wardojack.

One of the main reason that I bought a Pebble Steel was because of Linus's review and dialogue about it on WAN Show

THE VECTOR:

Intel Core i5-4690 @ stock - Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H - EVGA GTX 770 SC - A-DATA XPG 2.0 16GB 1866 - Cooler Master N200 - Seagate 1 TB Hybrid Drive - Corsair CX600M - ASUS VX238H 23" 1080p

So as the title asks, how much does it effect you?

Does the score matter more then the content of the review?

Do you solely rely on User reviews or "professional" reviews?

Have you ever bought something that has been reviewed badly ad liked it or vice versa?

Have you bought something that had a Bad review just to see how bad it is?

Do you like a simple "score" or just an overview like linus does? 

, So i remember years ago PC gamer reviews were everything if it scored less then a 6 i wasn't spending my money on it, even though really.. on a scale of 1- 10 a 6 is above average 

i have also bought a game that was reviewed badly by Total biscuit just to see for myself how bad it was ( and it was shockingly bad, but it was a steam sale so only £2 wasted) 

Just your thoughts do you rely on Linus/Luke/TB etc to give you the "BUY THIS" stamp, or do you go off user reviews more? 

personally i do both i will watch a product linus/luke/TB etc has reviewed then i'll look at user reviews, then forums to see the problems people have had if the problems seem managble or not that seveer then i usually buy it, if it has decent feedback/reviews, 

just interested to hear your thoughts after the Ubisoft thing that's been going on, and also just in general =) . 

It's so BIG YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW

Hi friend.Who are you?

Not really.

A little bit of both, so I know the professional reviewer isn't influenced by a sponsorship or something like that, and that way I know more about the product, since sometimes users can be more nitpicky about their reviews (kinda like me).

Have you ever bought something that has been reviewed badly and liked it or vice versa?

Yes, kinda. I bought a couple of Rosewill fans (cheapo 80mm and 120mm ones), and they aren't all that great.

Have you bought something that had a bad review just to see how bad it is?

No.

Overview. This way I get to know more about the product.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Linus's review of the R7 260X  got me to buy it... and it performs as expected...

I look for a product category in a certain price range, then look for reviews... If there are no notable problems, and there's a great deal up, then I'll buy it...

For games I absolutely never decide based on reviews, I always go by what looks interesting to me. A 10 minute gameplay video is enough for me to decide whether or not to buy. I do watch reviews sometimes, but not much, I'm more likely to watch a review of a game I'm never going to get anyway.

When it comes to tech however I look for as many reviews as possible. I'm by no means an expert on PCs, so I need to get the opinions of experts to make an educated decision. I especially look for benchmarks. I must have watched hours of benchmarks and reviews of graphics cards alone in the last few weeks.

I look at a few reviews, some professional, some amateur - gives a better view of it all.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I pretty much base most my purchases based off of reviews from Customers/Reviewers. Unless I really trust the brand, or had chance to use it before hand.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Hardware... i usually read a review..

Games/Movies... i am now waiting upon release to see if shit works correctly, even for a console.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I like to watch reviews of things I'm interested in buying to see how they use the device, and how the device worked. 

I might take into account the comments of the reviewer if they mention something that is in line with what I plan to do if I purchase, but mostly is because I want to see the things working before buying them.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I mainly listen to game reviews from TotalBisquid. And those heavily influence my purchasing decision, most of the time.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I look at both, but i like those professional review and lengthy comments a lot more than something like: "It sucks, don't buy it", and there're a metric ton of comments like that, and maybe a few actually good ones.... It gives me a better image of what i might be buying :D

And I'm definitely not loyal to any brands! Ex. I like Sony, but if it goes like this (my Xperia M2 not getting 5.0 lollipop), then after my contract is over, i'm switching to some other brand, probably Motorola, if it continues like this :D

Just look into the MSI GS60 ghost pro 4k, an ideal laptop for me, i would have bought it no questions asked, but then i read a review about the refresh rate lock it had (48Hz) and i was like WHAT????? and then i googled it and was disappointed as a child who dropped their icecream :'c

So I decided not to buy it :'c 

Stupid MSI with stupid 48hz refresh rate lock on the best laptop ever.

it even had 6GB vRAM but noooo stupid msi with crappy screen selection :'c

so i've decided to get the 3k version

Have you ever bought something that has been reviewed badly ad liked it or vice versa?

, So i remember years ago PC gamer reviews were everything if it scored less then a 6 i wasn't spending my money on it, even though really.. on a scale of 1- 10 a 6 is above average

i have also bought a game that was reviewed badly by Total biscuit just to see for myself how bad it was ( and it was shockingly bad, but it was a steam sale so only £2 wasted)

Just your thoughts do you rely on Linus/Luke/TB etc to give you the "BUY THIS" stamp, or do you go off user reviews more?

personally i do both i will watch a product linus/luke/TB etc has reviewed then i'll look at user reviews, then forums to see the problems people have had if the problems seem managble or not that seveer then i usually buy it, if it has decent feedback/reviews,

just interested to hear your thoughts after the Ubisoft thing that's been going on, and also just in general =) .

In LTT i trust!

1. Very Little. Reviews on just about everything is more OPINION than fact, and thus I do not trust them at all.

2. No. A Score is useless to me. For the most part, neither does the reviewers "findings" on most products. I want facts, strait facts and testing with useful to me benchmarks (or real world use for hardware), not opinions on the switch type, materials used, or usefulness of x hardware.

3. I could care less. Generally "Professional" reviewers have a personal agenda making their opinions useless to me and user reviews are generally only 0/10 or 10/10, it is either shite or it is gods jizz, and generally very scewed one way or another (for instance a review of a Quadro K4000 running BF4 means just as much to me as a AR15 tested as a piece of lumber, and there are many reviews of products performing poorly in workloads they are not designed for, and thus people revew them badly.)

4. Reviewed badly, yes. Call of Duty games, German Simulators, Time Warner Internet, Hatachi HDDs, etc. I personally loved them all to a certain point, and have not been let down yet.  Reviewed well, yes also. In that line goes Android (everyone speaks very highly of it, but it is a steaming pile of droppings in my opinion.), Corsair Cases (the build quality is just as bad if not worse than the HAF912 I had, and it wa a rip off for the $60 it cost), and the HD7950 GPUs I have (not crossfire, it is decent now that it is set up properly, that is until I buy a new game and have to screw around in drivers to get it to run, but the GPU itself. The performance is fine in games, but for compute workloads (rendering, etc), Nvidia is the way to go. Same reason why I have about a 1000 watts worrth of GPUs in my system (2x 7950 and a GTX480). Hindsight I guess.)

5. Several Flashkeys, SD cards, HDDs, etc. Generally people review badly based on a single failure, or a simple broken key loop, etc, but the product performs well.

6. I prefer neither. I want solid details, without inferences with hardware. I want to know if you open the box to find loose parts, or if you for instance recieved a "used/Referb" sample for a new product. I also want to know how it operates under 200%+ duty cycles. 750 watt PSU, put it under 1200 watts and see how it functions. 12V fan, how well does it operate at 24V?   For games, I just want to see the gameplay on a few maps or missions or jobs, etc. I don't care what John Q. Reviewer thinks of it, I just want to see what the game does and how it functions, and based on that I will know if I want to spend my money on it. THough I will say I have bought several games based on NerdCubed's views, but in both cases the gameplay was awesome to begin with.

6b/7.  I do not trust them. Personally, I find that Linus is scewed in some reviews to a point the review is more of a JOKE than informational. This is one reason when I see LinusTechTips and Asus or Samsung in the title, I skip the "review" as there is going to be hardly any useful info in it that it not also on the box.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I trust verified purchase reviews the most. Not that professional reviews are invalid, it's that we're comparing those who got their gear for free to test out for awhile vs someone who bought the thing and is using it everyday. That alone holds more weight. Pro reviews for seeing if a product has the features I want and consumer reviews to see if it's worth living with.

Kind of like with games while someone dodgy can have a review copy with 0.1 play time on it giving it a rating vs a real gamer who played longer than the first cut scene.

On hardware, a lot, on games, nothing, i'll just pirate the game and buy it if i like it. There are exeptions where i'll pre-purchase it, for example when GTA V will be able to pre-purchase, i will

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

More on user long term reviews as sponsored reviewers can't really admit that a product is bad fainting to loose their sponsors or have their brands showed to deep into  their "you know where". I first google "Product" + "Issues" after 2 months when it came out before purchase.

Sure reviews has an impact but not that much at all. Most reviewers only rush over the specs which is ok though but shows nothing how well it does on a daily use. For games I don't care really. I shouldn't come from EA or Ubisoft that's all.

Actual yes there was this headset with bad reviews but turned out very good for the price. Only the mic stopped working after a year but I've been warned.