Upgrade from i5 3570k to i7 4790k

Hi everyone, 

i've been saving some money lately and i've decided to upgrade my computer.

My old PC :

-i5 3570k @4.2 Ghz 

-AsRock Z77 Pro3

-Corsair Vengeance 8Go

-Asus GTX680

-H80 WC

-Corsair G700w (Non-modular)

For my new rig i think i'll probably go with 

-2X GTX970 

-Corsair HX750i 80+Plat. (need some feedback about this product)

-i7 4790k (May be i'll upgrade my H80 to an H110)

-A motherboard that support SLI + has room for an additionnal Soudcard (Essence STX)

Thanks a lot

P.S.; English isn't my main language, so sorry for the mistakes :S

Nice :)

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

I don't see where it's worth upgrading your PC, your old/current one is pretty good. Although your new one is better I still don't see the point - are you changing your monitor aswell?

So did you do it? If not, and of you're just gaming, then don't do it. It's not worth it.

This. 

Although if you do more than just gaming then I would say the CPU is quite worth it.

Spoiler

Oh sorry, I totally forgot to ask my question..

1. Is it worth it (upgrading from an i5 3570k to an i7 4790k) ?

2. What motherboard should i buy in order to have 2 GPU + Soundcard ?

3. Is the powersupply enough to hold both graphics card and an OCed CPU ?

4. Should i buy a reference GTX970 or a non-reference GTX970 ? 

5. Is two GTX970 better that a single GTX980 (both in terms of practicality and performance) ?

I don't see where it's worth upgrading your PC, your old/current one is pretty good. Although your new one is better I still don't see the point - are you changing your monitor aswell?

I have up to 1500€ to spend. If i can squeez an 2560x1440 monitor then yes. Otherwise, i'll probably keep my 1080p and enjoy playing games like The Witcher 3 at Ultra. 

However, am still wondering if a 144Hz 1080p monitor is more interesting than a 1440p monitor. 

Sig under construction.

And they seem to say 2x970.

Thanks a lot for your answers. When i've asked about the difference between 2x970 or single 980, i was talking about SLI vs Single GPU. I've heard that SLI suffers from certain issues (i.e.: You need to wait for updates in order to use the second GPU) 

Thanks a lot for your answers. When i've asked about the difference between 2x970 or single 980, i was talking about SLI vs Single GPU. I've heard that SLI suffers from certain issues (i.e.: You need to wait for updates in order to use the second GPU) 

That's what I was looking for, but then I didn't really think about it.

SLI is pretty good these days, with the only real problem being performance scaling, which is improving too.

Sig under construction.

That's what I was looking for, but then I didn't really think about it.

SLI is pretty good these days, with the only real problem being performance scaling, which is improving too.

Thanks for your feedback. Btw, i was wondering was would be the advantage of getting a motherboard that can handle two GPU at 16x, instead of a mobo with 8x 8x

Thanks for your feedback. Btw, i was wondering was would be the advantage of getting a motherboard that can handle two GPU at 16x, instead of a mobo with 8x 8x

There isn't much of an advantage.

I should've thought about that.

Sig under construction.

absolutely none with current gen GPU's...PCIe2.0 at 8X is okay as long as you don't put a dual GPU card in both slots...if you have pcie 3.0 at 8x/8x you can play dual titan Z if you want it's not gonna slow you down.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Is it bad to say "wait till broadwell"  cause the 3570k is still a awesome CPU, if it's just for gaming, upgrade those gpu's for definate then upgade the cpu once broadwell rolls out, just so as you have a bigger option list + price reduction.

Hey bro whatcha DOOOOOOOOIN *Barfs fruit salads on your chest*

i7 4820K / Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ 6GB \ 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4X4) / Gigabyte X79-UD3 \ EVGA Supernova G2 850W / Windows 7 Ultimate / Dell U2412M \

Dat be spooky....my hella rad pootpoot *u*

Is it bad to say "wait till broadwell"  cause the 3570k is still a awesome CPU, if it's just for gaming, upgrade those gpu's for definate then upgade the cpu once broadwell rolls out, just so as you have a bigger option list + price reduction.

Okay. I'll upgrade my PC in June, so i guess i still have time.

Its probably not worth it. You could upgrade peripherals like your keyboard, mouse, monitor and stuff. Both the i5 and the 680 are very capable cpus/gpus.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Its probably not worth it. You could upgrade peripherals like your keyboard, mouse, monitor and stuff. Both the i5 and the 680 are very capable cpus/gpus.

i agree...the games that are coming out this year are all sh!t anyway...and they run maxed out or close enough on such hardware...not worth the upgrade at all.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well there's the Witcher 3 that is comming in february if i'm correct. GTA V in january (if the game is optimized the same way as GTA IV, we're in some serious trouble). 

In terms of peripherals, i think am good. A have a Mechanical Keyboard (Mx Blue), a Zowie EC2 evo mouse and Sennheiser HD600 with an STX soundcard. I think it's time for me to upgrade my component in order to keep up with the new game. Plus, since am in college, i won't be able to purchase a new PC for at least the next 3-5 years, so i prefer to futur proof my build as best as possible

Personally, if I had an i5-3570K, I'd be looking toward Skylake. I've got an old i5-750 now and I'm trying to decide if I should jump on Broadwell or just stick it out for Skylake.

Well there's the Witcher 3 that is comming in february if i'm correct. GTA V in january (if the game is optimized the same way as GTA IV, we're in some serious trouble). 

In terms of peripherals, i think am good. A have a Mechanical Keyboard (Mx Blue), a Zowie EC2 evo mouse and Sennheiser HD600 with an STX soundcard. I think it's time for me to upgrade my component in order to keep up with the new game. Plus, since am in college, i won't be able to purchase a new PC for at least the next 3-5 years, so i prefer to futur proof my build as best as possible

Broadwell is only a die shrink and will bring only a small performance increase if any (it will mainly be more energy efficient and potentialy slightly higher clockspeed but this is no guarantee) so even then it will not be a worthy upgrade to the i5-3570K at least in regards to gaming...what you should do i think if you wan't more gaming performance is sell the GTX 680 online they still are worth a pretty penny and many are seaking them for SLI ATM and then order a new GTX 970 online which you will be impressed by the perfomance of...overclock the core i5-3570K a little (get a good CPU cooler if you don't already own one) and you'll run GTA V and witcher 3 on very acceptable settings if not maxed out or nearly.

I understand you want more ''future proofing'' from your PC, the next step-up in that direction would be Z97 and core i7-4790K or X99 and i7-5820K but both are not worth the invesstment for what you'll get out of it IMHO...

I have a 3570k @ 4.2Ghz as well and I personally don't see a need to upgrade at all for the next 4+ years. Even if something really F&$#ing fantastic comes out in boosted clock speeds I can play EVERY modern game I own at 60+ @ 1080p with high to ultra high settings.

Before my 3570k I rocked a core2duo E6750 @ 4.3Ghz for nearly 5 years. It still ran EVERYTHING I played on it. The only thing I did upgrade wise was go from a Nvidia 8800GTS to a GTX 460. And the change in performance just upgrading my GPU only was huge. If anything OP just upgrade the gpu first and see what difference it makes. If you're still not satisfied then go ahead and upgrade everything else.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

Oh sorry, I totally forgot to ask my question..
1. Is it worth it (upgrading from an i5 3570k to an i7 4790k) ?
2. What motherboard should i buy in order to have 2 GPU + Soundcard ?
3. Is the powersupply enough to hold both graphics card and an OCed CPU ?
4. Should i buy a reference GTX970 or a non-reference GTX970 ? 
5. Is two GTX970 better that a single GTX980 (both in terms of practicality and performance) ?

1. I don't think it's worth the upgrade unless you're bottlenecking (I highly doubt it) :P

2. I have a Maximus VII Ranger Motherboard (ROG, some people cry at the thought haha) but I really like mine and is SLi capable (I think 2 is maximum recommended). It's meant to be good for overclocking but it is flashy and aggressive which is slightly expressed in its price tag ;)

3. That PSU will be perfectly fine for dual 970s. If you want to cut the price a little 80+ platinum is definitely unnecessary (could go with 80+ bronze), however I think it depends on how often you use your PC per day. I've got a 630w be quiet! PSU and I think that's good enough for dual GPUs, although not sure about when overclocked.

4. Only buy reference if you plan to add your own coolers on afterwards, such as the NZXT Kraken G10.

5. Dual 970s is better than a single 980 in performance terms, probably not as practical but I'd go with the dual 970s personally. Someone before me said SLi is getting better and I read that you're choosing to go 1080p 144Hz or 1440p so I reckon the dual 970s will be the best option for you.

Hope that helps :)

I have up to 1500€ to spend. If i can squeez an 2560x1440 monitor then yes. Otherwise, i'll probably keep my 1080p and enjoy playing games like The Witcher 3 at Ultra. 

However, am still wondering if a 144Hz 1080p monitor is more interesting than a 1440p monitor. 

Steve from Newegg says he much prefers 144Hz 1080p compared to 1440p iirc. Up to you, though - best to research and weigh out the advantages of either :P

Thanks guys for the feebacks !! They're awersome.

I've read all the comments and i think i'll keep my i5 3570k, and maybe upgrade my Cpu cooler. As for the GPU, i've read that Reference GPUs are better for SLI because they throw hot air outside the case. However, non-reference GPU are also interessting thank to their innovative cooler and also their factory OC. Since i have a HAF 932 Advanced, i think going non reference might be better, but then again i don't' have much experience about SLI configuration :(. So anyone?

Thanks guys for the feebacks !! They're awersome.

I've read all the comments and i think i'll keep my i5 3570k, and maybe upgrade my Cpu cooler. As for the GPU, i've read that Reference GPUs are better for SLI because they throw hot air outside the case. However, non-reference GPU are also interessting thank to their innovative cooler and also their factory OC. Since i have a HAF 932 Advanced, i think going non reference might be better, but then again i don't' have much experience about SLI configuration :(. So anyone?

yes if you have a case that has good airflow and can support 140mm intake fan and good exaust too, going with non-reference coolers is ideal, if you would have a cramped case with somewhat bad airfolw then reference is better to go with.

The GTX 970 GPU's are efficient and won't trow that much heat so your case would handle non-reference coolers just fine.

Cooler master even shows how the airflow should be managed in that case, here:

HAF912Adv-web-feature-02-600.jpg

As for the CPU cooler, a cooler master hyper 212 evo is a good place to start and should allow a lot of overclocking headroom for cheap, again providing you have correct airflow through your case.

Even better would be a dual tower heatsink such as the noctua NH-D14 and NH-D15, and if you're after good look and even better performance and whiling to spend some more a dual sized rad AIO

unit such as the corsair H100i or cooler master 240L is also an option...but your overclocking potential is more likely to be limited by the capacity of your chip to overclock rather than heat issues even with a

lower end CPU cooler.