Want to make a few bucks for developing an app?

LinusTech

I think he wants it for his phone reviews. Testing WiFi performance..

Whoever makes this is gonna get lots of free advertisement if Linus is actualy planning to use said app for said purposes. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Seems like a good idea to be honest. Should be a good tool for diagnosing network problems, wireless-ly. 

MEH

I want it for easy throughput testing when evaluating phones, routers, or really any number of other things.

Iperf is a giant piece of garbage on Windows. Every configuration guide has different tips and tricks none of which work and I don't trust a test that consistently spits out 600mbit when I can transfer a file between the client and server at 100MB/s

I understand it works great on Linux but that's not convenient for literally 99+% of people.

And I'm not going to buy ichariot just for this basic functionality... :P

Wait so is it a phone app specifically you are after? Or is it an app for all ze devices? 

Or one app to rule them all?

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Good suggestion and very easy to configure, but getting results that just aren't that helpful. Running the .exe on my windows 7 computer (the one that transfers at 100MB/s anywhere else in the house) and on my Shield Tablet I'm hitting the max of my Internet connection consistently (100Mbit) with speedtest, and this app is giving me 33Mbit without any option to configure for more concurrent connections or anything like that...

Then again downloading a video file to the device locally results in around 30Mbit speeds, so is it speedtest.net that's blowing smoke up my butt? Am I missing something critical here? Is it possible to have a network connection that reports a 300Mbit link speed (obviously if we get half of that in the real world we should be happy), sustains 100Mbit over the internet, but can handle only 30Mbit when transferring locally from either my home server or my desktop?

I see a few people suggesting setting up our own speedtest.net server. Will have to look into it, but it looks like it's intended to run on something that's already set up as a web server, so we'd be building a specific machine for this. Feels like an awful lot of work for something that just shouldn't be that complicated.

i would love to help but i am not that good a coding yet (i only know a little python and a little java) but maybe i will give it a try at some point

and if someone starts doing it i would be happy to help

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

After doing some internet detective work, the app they used in the video, was written by the people at iClarified, but it isn't actually available on the app store.  

He posted it to FaceBook and tweeted it, I think :P

Edit: It's out there already?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.android.localwifispeedtester

Regardless of how helpful this was for Linus this is a pretty cool app. Personally I find that iperf works well enough for my use (even if just personal use and often with Linux boxes) but the Android versions of iperf I've found to be garbage. This is the first LAN speed tester for Android I've used that is easy to setup and works. So cheers for that! :) 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Good suggestion and very easy to configure, but getting results that just aren't that helpful. Running the .exe on my windows 7 computer (the one that transfers at 100MB/s anywhere else in the house) and on my Shield Tablet I'm hitting the max of my Internet connection consistently (100Mbit) with speedtest, and this app is giving me 33Mbit without any option to configure for more concurrent connections or anything like that...

Then again downloading a video file to the device locally results in around 30Mbit speeds, so is it speedtest.net that's blowing smoke up my butt? Am I missing something critical here? Is it possible to have a network connection that reports a 300Mbit link speed (obviously if we get half of that in the real world we should be happy), sustains 100Mbit over the internet, but can handle only 30Mbit when transferring locally from either my home server or my desktop?

I see a few people suggesting setting up our own speedtest.net server. Will have to look into it, but it looks like it's intended to run on something that's already set up as a web server, so we'd be building a specific machine for this. Feels like an awful lot of work for something that just shouldn't be that complicated.

I just tested the app and I got 40Mbit/sec and I'm on wireless N...

Edit: I could just be using/reading it wrong though... Haven't slept in 40ish hours..

CPU: 4970k 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 980 Stock RAM: Mushkin 1600MHz 16GB Cooler: Noctua DH 15

I just tested the app and I got 40Mbit/sec and I'm on wireless N...

anyone on AC want to give it a try?

It's kinda easy if you want this kind of app on Ubuntu. It would be a simple shell script that sets up a iperf listener. Then does an nmap port scan and then use netcat to verify it's a iperf server, and show these results in a list.

Now just let's wait for an Android dev to jump in :)

Ok, so I just tried it with my TL-WR2543ND and it worked (yaay, IDK why it did not work before), my result was 59,66Mbit/s with 3/4 signal strenght and 41,71 Mbit/s with 1/4 signal strenght.

Did couple more tests and with 75% to 100% signal strenght my average is about 60Mbit/s.

I should also note that its running on 2,4Ghz and I changed 2 of 3 antennas for 8dBi ones.

Haha, I have actually started working on a such app for android, release will be probably around february

I want it for easy throughput testing when evaluating phones, routers, or really any number of other things.

Iperf is a giant piece of garbage on Windows. Every configuration guide has different tips and tricks none of which work and I don't trust a test that consistently spits out 600mbit when I can transfer a file between the client and server at 100MB/s

I understand it works great on Linux but that's not convenient for literally 99+% of people.

And I'm not going to buy ichariot just for this basic functionality... :P

Whats so inconvinient about setting up a VM with ubuntu?

After doing some internet detective work, the app they used in the video, was written by the people at iClarified, but it isn't actually available on the app store.

That's because iClarified is also a repository on Cydia. And to get Cydia you must first jailbreak your iDevice.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Could make something like this on the desktop, but I don't know Java to write something on android. Problem with doing a lan speed test, which is why you don't often see them, is because you'd need a host computer to transfer a file to (and from). I'll see what I can come up with, it'd be written in python and open source ($free) 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

well i could write a program to do so and i also could write a android/windows phone app for that my problem is publishing it i havent published anything yet and im not going through the hassle just for this one bit. i could give you the apk though so you could either publish it yourself or sideload it to the devices. might take me a couple of days. ill se what i can through together after work

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

That's because iClarified is also a repository on Cydia. And to get Cydia you must first jailbreak your iDevice.

Well I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 5s, so is it is available on cydia?

I'll see can I get clearance to make this in college.

GB/s servers should be useful xD

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Nice to see Linus using an Apple device.

Anyone know how I know?

Well I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 5s, so is it is available on cydia?

I'd imagine it would. All my repositories have stopped working (as in recent is not updating at all) so I cannot check.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III