US Govt Pushing for Chip + PIN

ionbasa

I thought the US would have had this well before the UK/EU, but I learned on the WAN show that this isn't the case at all.

What's the big deal? Why does this require a Presidential Executive Order for these sharks to pull their fingers out?  Did no one mention they could make profit from this?  I could understand hesitation to adopt NFC due to security fears, but this?  I haven't had to swipe my cards in years!

I'll stick with this, FAR more secure. And if I need to spend it online, I can get a prepaid visa

tumblr_m084y3qKZw1rom9flo1_500.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Welcome to 10 years ago, America

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Swipe and sign doesn't need to die in a fire. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Swipe and sign doesn't need to die in a fire. 

Am I the only one who doesn't see any advantage to cards over cash other than being able to order online?

Especially when the power is out and your precious card becomes entirely worthless.

Its like apple. Its cool, but its kinda late and going to be outdated.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

im with common wealth do you know how to pay with your mobile phone nfc without buying the sticker i cant seem to find it in the app.

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/online-banking/commbank-app/tap-and-pay.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My tap and pay must be broken... it makes me put a pin in.

Am I the only one who doesn't see any advantage to cards over cash other than being able to order online?

Especially when the power is out and your precious card becomes entirely worthless.

My wife looses her purse about once a year, each time about $500 cash with it...

If I ever loose my debit card, I cancel it and don't loose any money. The one time I had my card number stolen from me took a day to get the $1600 charge credited back from the bank. Drop $1600 on the ground and see if you can get it back the next day.

I carry $100 cash in my wallet, and another few hundred in my vehicle for emergencies, but I haven't used it day to day since pry 2006.

My tap and pay must be broken... it makes me put a pin in.

My wife looses her purse about once a year, each time about $500 cash with it...

If I ever loose my debit card, I cancel it and don't loose any money. The one time I had my card number stolen from me took a day to get the $1600 charge credited back from the bank. Drop $1600 on the ground and see if you can get it back the next day.

I carry $100 cash in my wallet, and another few hundred in my vehicle for emergencies, but I haven't used it day to day since pry 2006.

Fair enough, but you can't steal cash from someone using a computer, and cash works when the power is out and phones are down (storms, unrest, etc.)

America is always pushing someone or something..

create a secure system with an easy backdoor from them , yeah right real secure.. :/

America isn't "creating" anything, the rest of the civilised world has been on chip+pin for the last decade.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

We had chip + pin for a while now and Visa recently introduced payWave in my country.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Fair enough, but you can't steal cash from someone using a computer, and cash works when the power is out and phones are down (storms, unrest, etc.)

Neither is perfect, but I don't think you should be worried about using a debit card. You can always get your "digital" money back if it is stolen. It is extremely unlikely you will get physical bills back, but on the plus side its much less likely to be robbed rather than your card number stolen.

Although.... there is another option.  :lol:

checkbook.jpg

Neither is perfect, but I don't think you should be worried about using a debit card. You can always get your "digital" money back if it is stolen. It is extremely unlikely you will get physical bills back, but on the plus side its much less likely to be robbed rather than your card number stolen.

Although.... there is another option.  :lol:

-snip-

Erm, I would rather not go back to writing paper cheques. ACH (at least in the US) payments via routing and account numbers are more convenient for recurring charges, such as with utilities (Natural gas, ISP, Power Company).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Also, a 'paywave' payment in Australia doesn't get taken from your account immediately, so you can view it on Internet banking and refute it if your card is stolen

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

Doesn't the UK and other parts of the world do this already? Aren't we like, really late to the game with it? 

Europe has had chip and pin for a long time

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

In Canada we have tap2pay which is horrible because anyone with the card can use it but yes pins are the way to go

Tap to pay is SUCH a horrible idea. When I hand someone my debit card and they tap it I'm like DAFUQ MAN! DON'T DO THAT!

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Erm, I would rather not go back to writing paper cheques. ACH (at least in the US) payments via routing and account numbers are more convenient for recurring charges, such as with utilities (Natural gas, ISP, Power Company).

Sorry, I apparently didn't do a very good job at showing it was sarcasm. I despise checks.

My power company is pretty far behind times though, the only option I (my wife) have is writing checks. Across the road is provided by a different power company and they have the fancy self-reporting meters so you don't even need to check the meter every month.

Sorry, I apparently didn't do a very good job at showing it was sarcasm. I despise checks.

My power company is pretty far behind times though, the only option I (my wife) have is writing checks. Across the road is provided by a different power company and they have the fancy self-reporting meters so you don't even need to check the meter every month.

Wow, that must be such a hassle. Both my power and natural gas utilities have electronic meters. In 1 year our municipal water district is also rolling out electronic water meters. 

Also, I think checks really shouldn't be used anymore, given that they have some of the highest rates for financial misconduct, (ie stolen checks, fake checks, bounced transfers).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I honestly don't know why they've not done it before now... Like how stupid is that?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

hmm it says it only works with samsung galaxy s4 which is shit since i have htc one and i dont wanna get one fo those tags.

That's a shame, I didn't look into it that closely as I am not with the comm bank.

Still, 2.99 for paytag is nothing. and they are quite unobtrusive.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's a shame, I didn't look into it that closely as I am not with the comm bank.

Still, 2.99 for paytag is nothing. and they are quite unobtrusive.

yeah the only thing i dont like it is that if my phone gets stolen they have that sticker on the back while if it uses nfc your phone needs to be unlocked to work

In Canada we have tap2pay which is horrible because anyone with the card can use it but yes pins are the way to go

We have that in the UK as well called contactless payment but it only allows payment up to £20 anything more and you have to put your card in the reader and enetr your pin

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

yeah the only thing i dont like it is that if my phone gets stolen they have that sticker on the back while if it uses nfc your phone needs to be unlocked to work

Yeah, I don't know about what security they have in place on that, I do know that comm bank have a guarantee that they will cover losses that are not your fault, but this probably comes with restricted purchase amounts or daily limits.