1440p Suggestions

whatthe_fuzz
Go to solution Solved by OneGun,

My QX2710 has Zero dead pixels and minimal BLB..And the SquareTrade Warranty will refund him for anything they can't fix..I has a Asus PB278q and it was a worse panel then my QX2710 lol..Like i posted go to this dell site and watch people go through up to 8 monitors to get a good one lol..But they are suppose rto be quality panels at dell?Some people will just always hate cause they paid $700 for a sub par monitor running at 60hz.. :D

Go read through here regarding your Quility dell panels..They are worse then the Qnixs..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1380527/dell-u2713hm-2560x1440-semi-glossy-ips-club/550#post_20116743

And we all know response times mean nothing as the Viewsonic at 12ms has the fastest response time of any IPS/PLS panel monitor..

I'm looking at getting a 1440p monitor and so far the one that has truly won my heart is the matte finish qx2710 from hulustar on ebay. it is one of the korean ones but has gotten EXCELLENT reviews and I dont mind the build quality. most people can overclock it to 120hz which is phenomenal. I can afford the qx2710 in a week or wait another month and save for a 30" korean of a 27" brand name. any suggestions are welcome! I wanna keep the price at $650 or below. im open to refurb models also!

thanks

John

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

IPS panels can't go at 120Hz. The response time of the LCD liquid is unable to turn fast enough.

If it was possible, then 120Hz IPS monitor would exists, there is a need and push by TVs to support it (mostly for 3D).

There is no advantage for any manufacture of IPS panel to hide this fact, because TV manufacture are opting for other panel technologies to get the needed refresh rate. So it's huge revenue loss.

So what you really get, is potentially dropped frames, and some weird  motion blur, which people believe it's smoother image, as in they see more frames, when in reality it's not.

In any case, you seam to understand the risk and long list of downsides of buying such monitor. So I say, go for it.

IPS panels can't go at 120Hz. The response time of the LCD liquid is unable to turn fast enough.

If it was possible, then 120Hz IPS monitor would exists, there is a need and push by TVs to support it (mostly for 3D).

There is no advantage for any manufacture of IPS panel to hide this fact, because TV manufacture are opting for other panel technologies to get the needed refresh rate. So it's huge revenue loss.

So what you really get, is potentially dropped frames, and some weird  motion blur, which people believe it's smoother image, as in they see more frames, when in reality it's not.

In any case, you seam to understand the risk and long list of downsides of buying such monitor. So I say, go for it.

that was extremely informative! thanks! I believe the qx2710 is based off samsungs PLS monitor. is this false overclock ideology still relevant if its a PLS?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

looks good! its twice the price of the qx2710 though :/ I might get it if it's justifiably worth it. only problem is I can get zero dead pixels guarantee on ebay and I cant with asus... do you own this monitor?

Not right now, but I will eventually.

I just read some reviews about that monitor and it seems a large majority are getting dead pixels or backlight bleed...I think I've sold myself on the qx2710. im guaranteed ZERO dead pixels and return shipping on excessive backlight bleeding

Dell U2713HM is another great option. I'd stay close to reputed manufacturers if I were you.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

To explain why ASUS or Dell monitors are suggested, and why people suggest reputable brands instead:

While I agree with everyone, and I am a big supporter of reputed manufactures, and I think buying these uncertified/reject LCD panels are completely idiotic, and the right choice is getting a proper monitor. This is where the risk factor comes into play. Keep in mind that what happens if you get a dead or bright pixel on your 0 dead pixel warranty. Or how about any other fault (badly formed LCD grid on a or group of pixel, for example). Look up how much it will cost you to ship that 27inch monitor all the way back to Korea, and time. Reports vary from 200$ to 300$, plus repay duty fees for the replacement monitor in some countries, due to their laws, base don what I read. So that's almost the price of the monitor. And who says that replacement monitor won't have any issues.

Its part of the risk factor talk about. Many here, including myself, believes that it is not worth it.

But that was just to say why people are suggesting otherwise.

that was extremely informative! thanks! I believe the qx2710 is based off samsungs PLS monitor. is this false overclock ideology still relevant if its a PLS?

PLS are Samsung version IPS panels. They could have called it: Samsung-IPS, but S-IPS was already in used by them. To have another name, marketing team had the idea of calling it PLS, which makes people think it's something apart... when it's really not. And it works. They are far better IPS panels that you can get, like they are worse. They are just an IPS panel. :)

Go on overclock . net as the Dell 2713hm is one of the worst monitors in the fact most people have to return at least 4 to get a good one.. On that forum today a guy got a 2713h instead of a hm because Dell told him they know there are too of issues with cross hatching yellow blb and image retention.. So for anyone to recommend that monitor to you does not know of the issues.. I had a Asus PB278Q and a monoprice and now I have a QNIX Korean monitor.. Yes it's OCed but the difference in pixel the lcd response time on a PLS or ips is slower then TN but only by 10 percent.. Lol and by the way my Asus had 2 dead pixels and yellow blb in left corner so I returned it.. My Korean Qnix I got is perfect.. Plus it does not skip frames..Go read through this forum to read about 2713 HM

http://www.overclock.net/t/1380527/dell-u2713hm-2560x1440-semi-glossy-ips-club/530

Here is a review on the Qnix..

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

Go down to the second to last post on this page and he will explain motion blur and lightboost etc..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1393854/best-currently-available-120hz-monitor-for-gaming/20

Thanks guys for all the responses :D

in a week I'll probably order a pixel perfect version and also invest in square trade. my return shipping will be covered so I'll be good.

thanks yall I'll be sure to post my findings!

Best deal I could find and still keep quality. 5ms response time (best Ive seen for 1440) LED $622

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

Best deal I could find and still keep quality. 5ms response time (best Ive seen for 1440) LED $622

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

but once again the qx2710 is HALF the price :/ do you know if there is a refurbished market for dell or asus monitors?

but once again the qx2710 is HALF the price :/ do you know if there is a refurbished market for dell or asus monitors?

The only issues with brands like the qx2710 is they take bad or not quality panels from all brands like dell, asus, hp ect. And they sell them at discount and when you receive them in the mail they have issues or dead pixels and unless its more then 8 pixels or its broken its considered ok and you cant get a replacement. I am only saying this becasue it happened to me when I first got my 3x 27" displays. They where off brand and when they came one had a dead pixel or leds where not fully bright so there was different levels of brightness on the same monitor.

As for the refurbished market, yes there are sometimes but I have not found a dedicated area to search in. I just have seen them on places like Newegg but its rarely.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

My QX2710 has Zero dead pixels and minimal BLB..And the SquareTrade Warranty will refund him for anything they can't fix..I has a Asus PB278q and it was a worse panel then my QX2710 lol..Like i posted go to this dell site and watch people go through up to 8 monitors to get a good one lol..But they are suppose rto be quality panels at dell?Some people will just always hate cause they paid $700 for a sub par monitor running at 60hz.. :D

Go read through here regarding your Quility dell panels..They are worse then the Qnixs..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1380527/dell-u2713hm-2560x1440-semi-glossy-ips-club/550#post_20116743

And we all know response times mean nothing as the Viewsonic at 12ms has the fastest response time of any IPS/PLS panel monitor..

You know that if Dell has faulty panels.. then that means that LG is producing faulty panels, and that means that the cheap Korean brand panel are also faulty, or more so faulty, as they are rejected. That, or LG got confused with the reject and approved bins.

Faulty batch is possible that it occurs. From my understanding on the post, people didn't return or exchange their monitor, they pass it through warranty repair, which means that they got refurbished. Refurbished are returned monitors, or monitors that were fixed. Dell does check the refurbished monitors, but they don't sit down with the monitor for a few hours to detect small faults like this. Beside it might not be visible with the strong light of the building where this takes place. Also, when you place an exchange or do a repair, you get to keep the monitor, you loose nothing, and feels like nothing. Shipping is free, everything is done for you, you just swamp monitor.

In any case, the error was on them. If you can return your monitor or exchange.. DO IT, don't send it for repair, that's just stupid. Dell pays shipping in any case, for those who don't know, so it cost you nothing.

Also, it is normal that the QX2710 is better than the ASUS PB278Q. The panel is a higher end one.

Ahh all the Korean monitors now use Samsung panels..lol..It sounded good though..... :)Here is a Quote from a member on OC.net which says there isn't much more motion blur on a OCed Qnix compared to a Lightboost TN panel.lol 

Originally Posted by mdrejhon go_quote.gif

Correct, but it looks nearly exactly the same.
Also see LCD Motion Artifacts 101.

CallSignVega confirmed this, when he ran tests on an overclocked 120Hz monitor. He confirmed the motion blur is similiar to non-LightBoost TN, albiet slightly worse due to slower pixel transitions of IPS. (somewhere between the 60Hz photo and the first/blurrier 120Hz photo, albiet slightly closer to the first 120Hz photo)

The sample-and-hold effect makes motion blur mathematically identical on all sample-and-hold "X Hertz" monitors, because each frame is displayed for exactly the same amount of time. On all 120Hz LCD monitors that don't strobe their backlights, 1/120sec is a mathematical constant.

The speed and accuracy of pixel transitions, adds a minor variable, however. The difference in pixel transitions for IPS versus TN, the motion blur will be slightly worse on QNIX than for a TN with LightBoost disabled. However, it's very subtle (QNIX ~40% less motion blur versus TN ~50% less motion blur), since the sample-and-hold effect creates the majority of motion blur. Pixel transitions is NOT the major creator of motion blur on modern LCD's, because pixel transitions take less than a half frame to complete. (The high speed video also proves this).

Another good article is Why Do Some OLED's Have Motion Blur?, which has excellent scientific references listed at the bottom, to scientific papers explaining the sample-and-hold effect (eye-tracking-based motion blur). Even 0ms instant pixel response displays have motion blur, due to sample-and-hold. As you can see, the vast majority of motion blur you see on modern LCD, is all caused by eye-tracking, not the speed of LCD pixel transitions. This is fixable by adding more Hz, or by adding black periods between Hz. (aka shortening the frame length -- ala CRT flicker effect in eliminating motion blur)

So, it's really:
Photo of 60Hz -- applies to all 60Hz LCD's with continuous shine backlights
Photo of 120Hz -- applies to all 120Hz LCD's with continuous shine backlights
I've actually posted the best-case-possible scenario (fastest non-strobed LCD 120Hz motion blur).

Assuming perfect motion at fps=Hz (frame rate matching refresh rate), to eliminate stutters from contributing to blur....
Tracking-based motion blur is directly proportional to the length of time a frame is displayed for.
60Hz LCD = 16.7ms continuous shine = baseline
120Hz LCD = 8.3ms continuous shine = 50% less motion blur
120Hz LightBoost "100%" = 2.4ms backlight flash = 85% less motion blur
120Hz LightBoost "10%" = 1.4ms backlight flash = 92% less motion blur

(The LightBoost strobe backlight flash length is adjustable, by changing the OSD setting for "LightBoost", see TFT Central's oscilloscope tests)

We consider a 60Hz the baseline for motion blur, a frame being continuously shone for 16.7 milliseconds (1/60sec)
The 120Hz frame ratio of 8.3ms:16.7ms is 50/100ths of the original motion blur (50% less)
The strobe flash length ratio 2.4ms:16.7ms is 15/100ths of the original motion blur (85% less)
The strobe flash length ratio 1.4ms:16.7ms is 8/100ths of the original motion blur (92% less)
The mathematical relationship between motion blur and length of visible frame, is pretty accurate when pixel transitions are far less than one refresh long. The pursuit camera photographs confirm this mathematical motion blur equivalence.

I dont mind going through the ordeal of a Korean dud. heres why

1. i cant afford a $650 monitor ATM 

2. i CAN afford a Korean

3. if the korean is fine then i save time and money

4. if the korean is faulty i get a working model in the same time it would take to save for a $650+ one. and i still save money.

why not? i'll take the risk. watch the forums in the coming weeks for my review. 

thanks all who contributed! was insightful and intriguing! much appreciated!

-John

Go on overclock . net as the Dell 2713hm is one of the worst monitors in the fact most people have to return at least 4 to get a good one.. On that forum today a guy got a 2713h instead of a hm because Dell told him they know there are too of issues with cross hatching yellow blb and image retention.. So for anyone to recommend that monitor to you does not know of the issues.. I had a Asus PB278Q and a monoprice and now I have a QNIX Korean monitor.. Yes it's OCed but the difference in pixel the lcd response time on a PLS or ips is slower then TN but only by 10 percent.. Lol and by the way my Asus had 2 dead pixels and yellow blb in left corner so I returned it.. My Korean Qnix I got is perfect.. Plus it does not skip frames..Go read through this forum to read about 2713 HM

http://www.overclock.net/t/1380527/dell-u2713hm-2560x1440-semi-glossy-ips-club/530

Here is a review on the Qnix..

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

Go down to the second to last post on this page and he will explain motion blur and lightboost etc..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1393854/best-currently-available-120hz-monitor-for-gaming/20

The 2713HM I received is perfect, and I have a mate who now has 3, no problems at all. I have very little faith in the probability of getting a good Korean el-cheapo panel. They might be great on delivery, but just wait 6 or 12 months... one day it won't turn back on.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The 2713HM I received is perfect, and I have a mate who now has 3, no problems at all. I have very little faith in the probability of getting a good Korean el-cheapo panel. They might be great on delivery, but just wait 6 or 12 months... one day it won't turn back on.

Typical response of someone who overpaid for a monitor at 60hz lmao...Let me guess you also have a iphone? 

Typical response of someone who overpaid for a monitor at 60hz lmao...Let me guess you also have a iphone? 

Lol, I paid $550 for it, Dell has sales all the time. I rather have respectable build quality, adjustable settings, multiple inputs, factory calibration, 4x USB 3.0 inbuilt hub, height/angle/rotation ability and an outstanding included warranty. The panel isn't the only thing you pay for, don't try to take the piss. Have fun running your monitor into the ground by overclocking it for a minimal gain while increasing response time and needing to buy another one in 12 months. The QX2710 'Pixel Perfect' eBay page even says there can be 1-2 defective pixels and backlight bleeding issues. Also I have a GS3  ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You are the one pushing your cheap Korean monitor.. buyers remorse all the way.

You feel the need to see others with the same monitor as you, so that you feel better about your decision.