Intel "Talk to the Expert" Haswell-E Live Chat [POSTPONED]

Thanks for holding this in the middle of the day, in the middle of the work week. Great news for all the high schoolers, I suppose...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

awesome news for us in EU :D

starts at 20.00 for me \o/

and a question!

i wonder how the process of making this chip was done

i mean, who got the idea/who is paid to come up with such ideas, who do they tell that idea next, and so on, till the finished product, even how they transfer that idea and plan to the factories, who then make that chip

i wanna know all!

and what does that team do now?

are they already planning on new extreme edition?

when did the idea for haswell-e pop up?/how long did it take them to get it from the idea to the finished product?

also, where there any hiccups on the way?

how long till the new one?

will we see it with broadwell, skylake, cannonlake?

EDIT:

just wanna spam some more questions that popped in my mind at work, coz i don't have anything better to do :D

but these still kinda refer to the previous ones

how many CPUs are developed simultaneously at intel, how many teams are dedicated to making new CPUs and also, how many steps/teams does it take from an idea to the finished product (this one is kinda similar to the first one) and also, is there 1 team doing only 1 step at developing 1 CPU, or is 1 team dedicated for the whole CPU from the idea to the end?

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Didn't get a chance to watch the first one live, but will get to watch this one! Great to have Intel reaching out to Youtubers like Linus in this way. Looking forward to watching it!

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

Why couldn't it start an hour later? I'll be at schoooooool. D: I want to ask random questions! T_T

(I guess not random, per se, but just things!)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just a question of mine that I'm curious on yet have never researched, but how to intel, and any chip designer/manufacturer for that matter, know what is an efficient and powerful design, and therefore how do they actually design it? Especially as it is at such an incredibly small scale.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

How long will it last?, and why thursday :(

I'm also wondering how long will this last?  It fits perfectly between classes for me but I can only watch for 90 mins.

Any idea Linus?

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Hopefully I will be able to tune in while in math class..

The teacher will understand right?

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Cool, I might try to see if I can chime in. 

I would like to know if he sees AMD making anything soon that can compete with Intel's knew enthusiast line. Also, I would want to ask in his opinion, how long does he see it taking before the USB standard is adopted on a Intel Platform. If I think of anything, I will update my post. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I can only watch for an hour because I start work at 3EST So I'll be stuck watching it it the cafeteria at work so I'm not late ... #geekproblems

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

What does being logged in on this forum have to do with twitch? I mean how are they going to link these two things?

We will find out tomorrow.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I'm also wondering how long will this last?  It fits perfectly between classes for me but I can only watch for 90 mins.

Any idea Linus?

In the time conversion page, it says that it will be for an hour. I am not sure if it's accurate, but at least its on the right track to an answer :lol: 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Well, this is awesome.  Chance to maybe get the new processor in my new build?  HECK YEAH.  

I suppose a question to post in here ahead of time for the Livestream is in relation to the 39**x parts.  Will Intel ever in a point of time in the future release a xx60X part and then release an updated version that is a xx70X but not just having a higher clock and all, but perhaps if technology is furthered, more cores?  Say, if there is manufacturing and RND strides that allow during a new release to allow for another consumer release a month or three later for ten-core's or maybe even it is a six core instead of an 8, but pre-OC'd by intel not 200mhz like the 3970x, but instead being an entire ghz or so?  Just thinking on it as I know some people are discouraged from overclocking and would spend more on parts that're pre-oc'd from the factory and all!  

I have a question for the live stream. What challenges are Intel faced with when moving to smaller and smaller manufacturing nodes, and how much longer do you think these processors can keep shrinking before something has to fundamentally change for them to work properly?

Unfortunately i'm going be studying for an exam tomorrow night. If I try hard, I may still be able to catch the stream.It starts at 19:00 for me. Wish me luck :)

4am AEST Linus you're lucky I love you no homo.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

ill be in school  :(

wait..maybe i can watch it in art class?....

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I also have a  question for the live stream, what things were looked at and how did you go about determining what was needed for the haswell re-fresh.

I wanted to make sure anyone who mentioned calling off work/missing school/staying up late/getting up early saw this.

The stream has been postponed until a later date. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately it is beyond our control.

We just got this information about 10 minutes ago, trying to give everyone as much notice as possible!

Check back soon for an update on the new date and time.

Thanks for your understanding!

I wanted to make sure anyone who mentioned calling off work/missing school/staying up late/getting up early saw this.

The stream has been postponed until a later date. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately it is beyond our control.

We just got this information about 10 minutes ago, trying to give everyone as much notice as possible!

Cheers for the update, any idea if it might be only a few days? Or about a week or so?

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

All man, now this means I have to wait longer to win my Haswell-E? :lol:

On a serious note, it's all cool. I look forward to seeing when the new date is. Any idea how long the delay might be? Understand if you guys don't have any info right now as it a spur of moment thing. Hopefully it will be during a time I can watch it, tomorrow was my day off from work and school so it would have been a good time for me. 

Thanks for the update Nick. :D

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Yo. "Master of Azeroth" here or as my mother calls me "That creepy kid in my basement"

First of all thank you for doing all these cool events. Been following you Linus since the good old ncix days. Couldn't be happier with the Linus group.

Can't wait to watch the stream :) ! Cheers from Denmark

So some topics and or questions...

When designing the new intel processors what are your thoughts on optimization for video games. Realizing most of the viewers are prolly just video gamers I figured it'd be interesting to get intels point of view on this topic. Considering most gaming, game recording and so on is moving away from the cpu and utilizing the gpu better it'd be interesting to hear if intel is gonna move focus away from targeted for gamers marketing or keep their head in the "game" so to say even though it's pretty much all on gpu's now.

These "custom-socket" thingamajigs we see on fx asus boards... yay or nay. What is your opinion on these custom sockets. and is it worth it in your words?

Facing that most on these forums and prolly in the stream are gamers. Do you think your new chips are worth the upgrade for gamers from let's say... well I guess actually all the way back to 3xxx series (maybe even further). I don't really see games out there needing any more since it's more on the GPU. Explain some of the improvements gamers can see and why they should upgrade to these faster more efficient chips and new architecture.

At the intel office. What motherboard manifacture do you guys say your prayers to? I realize not all use the same brand, but what is to your experience the best brand with the least issues with your chips?

and you know... it's my birthday this saturday. Turning 20 and all... you know ^^ I'd put it to good use. Just left UNI to try for a year to make youtube become a thing in my life. Made over 500 vids so I'd put that processer to good use ^^ 

Then I have a question that I'd just want answered since I've talked to both intel and asus (my mobo brand) and I cant seem to figure it out. I've created over 500 youtube vids and I livestream. Whenever I record or put my computer under load my audio start crackling. Popping and clicking. Wont go away unless I restart my PC. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is and you guys had no idea when I asked you at Dreamhack.

Current Hardware

Motherboard - Asus ROG maximus V gene
CPU - i7 3770K
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i
GPU - MSI GTX 680 Hawk
RAM - Samsung Green Series 8gb kit @1866mhz
PowerSupply - Corsair TX750W
Case - Corsair obsidian 350D
Webcam - Logitech C920

Storage
- Kingston hyperX 120GB SSD
- WD black 1TB
- Seagate Barracuda 3TB
- 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Monitors
- LG Flatron W2363D (Main monitor)
- Samsung Syncmaster 226BW (Second Monitor)

Peripherals

Keyboard - Logitech G710+
Mouse - Logitech G700
SkypeHeadset - Logitech G35
GamingHeadset- AudioTechnica m50s
MIC - Blue Yeti