G5ive

Shawy

Bad troll is bad.

On the off chance.....

X79 is silly if you're going to spec a quad core.

560ti SLI is just silly.

Wait, Build logs? This is a running system? Internal pics please. :D

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Pics or it doesn't exist! :D

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Internal pictures? In process pictures?

Bad troll is bad.

On the off chance.....

X79 is silly if you're going to spec a quad core.

560ti SLI is just silly.

Wait, Build logs? This is a running system? Internal pics please. :D

Pics or it doesn't exist! :D

It's a build log. As in I'm posting my progress throughout the build, rather than just posting pictures of my finished rig.

As for x79 platform, I got a great deal on a 3820 (£150) so I decided to upgrade to x79 while I had the chance to buy a processor and motherboard for only £270 total. The 560s will be upgraded once I have the cash to do so.

So you don't think I'm trolling, here's a render to show how things should look when finished as I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive.

IzruDJE.png

Alright, sorry mate - I'm far more used to posting in advice threads, I literally didn't realise I was in build logs.

I'm also interested to see how this turns out. Plus, I just figured out where Bitfenix got the idea for the prodigy. :lol:

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

looks to be pretty cool!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Wow this looks sweet! Will this be a Hackintosh or just a Windows rig in a Mac box? 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Which program do you use to make these images? I'm working on a G5 as well, it would be nice to show people what my plans are :-)

I really like the case but mine will be without a window, it ruins the looks of the case but that's just my personal opinion!

It's nice to see people modding on the same case as me!

Alright, sorry mate - I'm far more used to posting in advice threads, I literally didn't realise I was in build logs.

I'm also interested to see how this turns out. Plus, I just figured out where Bitfenix got the idea for the prodigy. :lol:

No worries, I wasn't sure if people just posted their end results here or not, but I figured that's more of a gallery than a work log.

Wow this looks sweet! Will this be a Hackintosh or just a Windows rig in a Mac box? 

Definitely going to look into making it a Hackintosh at some point, but for now it's just windows 7.

Which program do you use to make these images? I'm working on a G5 as well, it would be nice to show people what my plans are :-)

I really like the case but mine will be without a window, it ruins the looks of the case but that's just my personal opinion!

It's nice to see people modding on the same case as me!

I use PTC ProDesktop - it's what I used in high school and I already own and know my way around it. There's much better choices though, something like Google Sketchup is used by most people.

Still undecided on the window, I've tried to find somewhere reasonably local I can get it laser cut but no where has machines capable of cutting the 3mm aluminium.

looks to be pretty cool!

Very impressive!

Looking forward to this one!

Thanks guys, just waiting on a few more parts to come in the post over the next few days so I can post some photos.

No lighting? You have a window panel though...

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No lighting? You have a window panel though...

I'll probably add some white LEDs when it's finished.

"closed cell foam". Linus just came...

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

3ds max is the best 3d modeling program out there, but unless you're a student (who can get it free) it costs a pretty penny.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Oh, sorry. With how professional those rendered images looked I thought it was done already or just a wild idea for fun.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

"closed cell foam". Linus just came...

Haha!

IlmjDQ2.png

Interesting! looking forward for more pics :).

Interesting! looking forward for more pics :).

My tripod should arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to upload some progress shots soon.

Case modding is well underway, I should have some pics to upload soon. For now though, here's a little hardware teaser. 09CSFYO.png

Update: parts are starting to come together.

Motherboard capacitors have all been polished:

7boVaSB.jpg?1

All nice and shiny.

yCAMsQH.jpg?1

The silver is to match my RAM:

DrVawQo.jpg?1

And my fittings:

Wh64Nyk.jpg?1

As well as the bracket for my CPU block:

yJslBYu.jpg?1

vR0NBSV.jpg?1

The black and silver theme extends to my GPU blocks:

nt5j8QS.jpg?1

U0M7vg2.jpg?1

Bling bling. :cool:

dkFQH4r.jpg?1

A splash of colour will be added by some Gelid Wings:

UbWaFof.jpg?1

Not all of them though, the 140's are from my previous build.

e4BwfoI.jpg?1

I tried to hide the cables the best I could and try to smooth out the lines on the backs of the fans which will be visible from inside the case.

B1yc578.jpg?1 

What monster might these fans be mounted to? Well a Monsta, what else!?

xBKakWe.jpg?1

I sorted out the cables the best I could without having to make custom length cables. Everything will be tucked away out of sight.

9BOEO8h.jpg?1 

pUYqTmM.jpg?1

An update on how the case is looking should be online shortly. :D

Looking pretty awesome, your rad has a little ding on it though :(.

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

Looking pretty awesome, your rad has a little ding on it though :(.

It has a few, I've been using it for about 6 months, still works great and the mark won't be visible inside the case. :)

It has a few, I've been using it for about 6 months, still works great and the mark won't be visible inside the case. :)

Thats good, what case where you using before the g5

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

Thats good, what case where you using before the g5

My last case was a Lancool K62 - Here's an album from when it was first put together. For a while now I've just been using a motherboard tray (used in this mod) and had my build out in the open as I've been upgrading etc. The plans for the G5 mod date back to before Christmas but I've been busy with a lot of University work to complete it so everything has just been a mess for quite some time. Things are all coming together at last though. :D

Next big update: the case itself! I didn't take many photos while actually modding as I tend to just get stuck in until it's done. It was basically a case of measuring the motherboard tray, cutting a hole in the back of the case with a Dremel and test fitting the motherboard tray. It took 5 or 6 test fits to get it right, as I had to file grooves for the rivets to allow the back of the motherboard tray to sit flush with the back of the case.
I have tapped 4 of the ventilation holes on the back of the case so that I can secure the tray to the case using 4 M3 screws.

Here's the case all gutted out ready for modding:

hsmanSk.jpg?1

But first I needed to mod the motherboard tray. I cut out a hole for 2 80mm fans instead of the original single fan mount, as well as cutting a slot for the back panel clasp and a hole for the SATA cable to be hidden below the motherboard tray where the SSD will be mounted. There's also some cable management slots cut into the sides for the front panel cables as well as the 8 pin.

FNnKa10.jpg?1

Once the back of the motherboard tray was cut, I used it as a stencil to cut out the back panel of the case.

Yq8e3KK.jpg?1

Here you can see the holes cut into the floor of the case. The 2 large circles towards the front of the case are for the radiator plugs to sit in so that I can use them to drain the loop. I'll also be using 10mm extension fittings to give the radiator a little more support. There's also two holes for mounting the pump and 2 more to mount the L bracket used to hold the radiator down.

KXTz8kf.jpg?1

I cut out the original harddrive tray to act as a PSU holder. The fan screws will be threaded through the bracket to secure it down, and then the bracket mounted to the case. There's also a hole for the tubing to pass through to the main compartment.

0JhJQLK.jpg?1

This is how the motherboard will sit inside the case when it's done.

oL5gbfG.jpg?1

And this is where the watercooling components will sit.

svAaHkt.jpg?1

Here you can see the rad is as far forward as possible which will allow room for a set of fans, but unfortunately not enough space for some shrouds as I had originally planned.

7rzv9vE.jpg?1

The radiator takes up a huge amount of space when the fans are installed. 130mm thickness altogether!

pdAt2Pd.jpg?1

FQsrcE1.jpg?1

I had to use a 10mm extension, a 45° fitting and a 90° fitting to be able to route tubing from the pump to the radiator

WZmFzui.jpg?1

j2BiClg.jpg?1 

They align almost perfectly.

rGs1hJL.jpg?1

Once everything was in place and all of the cuts and holes were made to the case, I started to sound proof it. There's two reasons for the sound proofing, firstly to try and absorb some of the noise that echoes around the solid aluminium case, and secondly for aesthetics. I didn't want a fully aluminium interior and there were a lot of holes in the case from the original Apple hardware which I wanted to cover up some how. The back panel has 2 layers of 3mm closed cell foam, the first of which has holes so that the smaller screws line up with the surface, and a second layer to cover up the small screws. The larger standoffs have been left as they will be used to support the motherboard tray and used for cable management.

NFq8bE7.jpg?1

The PSU in the top is such a tight fit that I had to cut out a gap in the roof sound proofing else it wouldn't fit.

fh7O9bA.jpg?1

fHqMSh8.jpg?1

And here's how it looks with the components back in. I'm thinking of adding some foam to the motherboard tray too so that it blends in with the rest of the case.

XXzCDNR.jpg?1

I'm awaiting a delivery of some small magnets that will be used to attach the dust filter to the front of the case, and then I think I'll be ready to install everything and start tubing her up! :D