Xbox One or New PC

Not sure if trolling, or just trolling. 

Yeh, definitely deh trollsing :P

there wasnt any one supporting the console side of the argument so i had to step in

:P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm probably gonna get a bit of hate for my RAM choice ("Only one stick, how dare you?!" </mock> yes, how dare I suggest going for 8GB sticks over a pair of 4GB sticks for future upgrading if/when needed? :P

i ALWAYS say this

no idea why people keep buying a pair of 4GB sticks

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i ALWAYS say this

no idea why people keep buying a pair of 4GB sticks

Only reason I could see for going for a pair of 4GB sticks instead of a single 8GB stick is for off-the-bat Dual channel memory usage, but even if you were going for that angle in a build for something like a Mini-ITX HTPC with only 2 RAM slots, then have it maxed out at 16GB from the get-go with a pair of 8GB chips; you're not gonna be able to go beyond that anyway.

there wasnt any one supporting the console side of the argument so i had to step in

:P

But....... but.......... the master race of PCness :'(

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

But....... but.......... the master race of PCness :'(

Eh it was bound to happen at some point

Eh it was bound to happen at some point

Anyways, what do you think of my proposed builds? I made sure I added an OC build, and the G3258 is perfect for a low cost and high OCing CPU. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Anyways, what do you think of my proposed builds? I made sure I added an OC build, and the G3258 is perfect for a low cost and high OCing CPU. 

I'd personally say swap out the 2*4GB sticks for a single 8GB stick (sacrifice dual-channel in the short term, give more upgrade choice in the future) and you'd be good to go.

the 2*4GB Kingston kit you've got is the same price at PCCG for the single 8GB Corsair stick I picked out.

I'd personally say swap out the 2*4GB sticks for a single 8GB stick (sacrifice dual-channel in the short term, give more upgrade choice in the future) and you'd be good to go.

the 2*4GB Kingston kit you've got is the same price at PCCG for the single 8GB Corsair stick I picked out.

Well unless you want to go for a max of 32GB RAM it's not really preferred. You miss out on the dual-channel RAM and also imo having two DIMM slots populated looks better than just one. Also I think the Kingston Fury modules look awesome, even if they may have a little performance decrease which is anything bar noticeable. 

Yeah there's no reason to buy a console, ever.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Both look pretty solid :)

Yeah there's no reason to buy a console, ever.

Only one of my friends has a pc that can run games ok and that's about to die so there all on console that's why I got a console instead of pc I really regret that decision

Well unless you want to go for a max of 32GB RAM it's not really preferred. You miss out on the dual-channel RAM and also imo having two DIMM slots populated looks better than just one. Also I think the Kingston Fury modules look awesome, even if they may have a little performance decrease which is anything bar noticeable. 

Last I checked, tests by folks like Tom's Hardware has shown there's little significant difference between single-channel & dual-channel memory, with maybe a 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks by going dual-channel.

Granted, the article was back in October 2007 but if you're gonna get about 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks with little other difference between single channel/single stick and dual channel/dual sticks, I'd rather have the more flexibility for RAM upgrades down the line by tossing in a 8GB stick off-the-bat.

Last I checked, tests by folks like Tom's Hardware has shown there's little significant difference between single-channel & dual-channel memory, with maybe a 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks by going dual-channel.

Granted, the article was back in October 2007 but if you're gonna get about 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks with little other difference between single channel/single stick and dual channel/dual sticks, I'd rather have the more flexibility for RAM upgrades down the line by tossing in a 8GB stick off-the-bat.

So you prefer single channel because of the upgradability

So you prefer single channel because of the upgradability

If the starting point is only 8GB and you can go to 16 or 32GB down the line when the cash avails you - yes.

I made the mistake of going with 16GB as a quad-set of 4GB sticks once already (when I built my initial i7-2600K system), and that set of sticks is now sitting in my SteamRig, whilst my Beast (main rig) is using the 32GB (4*8GB sticks) I bought to upgrade from the initial 16GB kit when I realised 16GB was not going to cut it for me at the time (and is still doesn't cut it for my main system).

If the starting point is only 8GB and you can go to 16 or 32GB down the line when the cash avails you - yes.

I made the mistake of going with 16GB as a quad-set of 4GB sticks once already (when I built my initial i7-2600K system), and that set of sticks is now sitting in my SteamRig, whilst my Beast (main rig) is using the 32GB (4*8GB sticks) I bought to upgrade from the initial 16GB kit when I realised 16GB was not going to cut it for me at the time (and is still doesn't cut it for my main system).

Hm I never thought of it that way I guess you learn something new everyday :)

Only one of my friends has a pc that can run games ok and that's about to die so there all on console that's why I got a console instead of pc I really regret that decision

Yeah I have a friend who still games on console, he's an idiot. He's terrible at the games he does play, he's an achievement whore, not worth gaming with. It's better to get a pc and find a good gaming guild and whatnot and make friends with people online.

Friends who still game on console aren't friends worth having, with the exception of girls.

Yeah I have a friend who still games on console, he's an idiot. He's terrible at the games he does play, he's an achievement whore, not worth gaming with. It's better to get a pc and find a good gaming guild and whatnot and make friends with people online.

Friends who still game on console aren't friends worth having, with the exception of girls.

Well were all broke as shit and have had our consoles for many years and we still don't have the money to upgrade but now is my chance so I'm going to take it

So guys I've come to a fork in the road I have the option of getting the CoD Advanced Warfare Xbox One or use the money to build an ok PC that I can upgrade in the future. Now I want your honest thoughts and opinions no fanboys ok I already have $100 deposited but I can cancel the preorder and I'll have about $700 for the PC or I can just get the Xbox One and be done with it looking forward to your opinions

So it's clear that everyone is against the Xbox One can someone put together a build for $700 AUD

If you need a hand, let me know and I can give you advice. I live in melbourne, what about you?

If you need a hand, let me know and I can give you advice. I live in melbourne, what about you?

Melbourne as well

Well were all broke as shit and have had our consoles for many years and we still don't have the money to upgrade but now is my chance so I'm going to take it

give me 1 hour I'm at work right now but I can mannage to pm you something really decent 

give me 1 hour I'm at work right now but I can mannage to pm you something really decent

Ok cool thanks man

Do so, you will not regret it. Just remember that the current gen and the generation of consoles yet to come, can't hold a candle to the performance of a PC for their price.

I'm broke as a joke too, and even the rig I've built beats out a console.

Games are cheaper, they look better, you can mod them, if you get an SSD you will have almost no loading times (depending on how strong your cpu is), etc. Console might as well be dead if it weren't for people like my console friend who thinks pc gaming is dead and refuses to hear otherwise.

xbox one definitely hands down

8 cores vs 4 cores on gaming PCs

and a GPU that has on die ram that destroys any pc right now

and if thats not enough it has 8GB 2133 mhz ddr3

PC now normally have 4GB around 1600mhz  and 1GB on the GPU

but on the xbox one the 8GB of shared ram  which means its much faster since they can talk to each other better

and finally u can make use of microsofts supercomputers for even better graphics

You clearly don't understand PCs.

First of all, you can get an 8 core cpu on a pc for fairly cheap (see below)

second, the gpu on the XBONE is terrible compared to a gaming pc (see linus' video here

Third, it is not uncommon for PC's to have 16, 32 or even 64 GB of ddr3 2133mhz or higher Ram. But either way, system RAM speed does not affect gaming performance much.

Fourth, that 8gb of shared RAM "so they can talk to each other better" is a bunch of garbage. System ram is WAY slower than gpu ram, causing that to be a bottleneck. plus if you can have 8gb of total ram, or 8+2 gb of ram what will you pick?

How about this?

[PCPartPicker part list](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2KmKsY) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2KmKsY/by_merchant/)

**CPU** | [AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8320frhkbox) | $179.00 @ CPL Online

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $39.00 @ Mwave Australia

**Motherboard** | [ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-980de3u3s3) | $64.00 @ CPL Online

**Memory** | [GeIL DRAGON 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/geil-memory-gd38gb1600c11sc) | $89.00 @ Mwave Australia

**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr927oc2gd) | $198.00 @ CPL Online

**Case** | [bitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfccom100wwxs1rp) | $49.00 @ CPL Online

**Power Supply** | [silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st60fesb) | $79.00 @ CPL Online

| | **Total**

| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $697.00

| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-20 23:04 EST+1000 |

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Do so, you will not regret it. Just remember that the current gen and the generation of consoles yet to come, can't hold a candle to the performance of a PC for their price.

I'm broke as a joke too, and even the rig I've built beats out a console.

Games are cheaper, they look better, you can mod them, if you get an SSD you will have almost no loading times (depending on how strong your cpu is), etc. Console might as well be dead if it weren't for people like my console friend who thinks pc gaming is dead and refuses to hear otherwise.

PC gaming will never die it just hits rough spots it's the same with consoles

You clearly don't understand PCs.

First of all, you can get an 8 core cpu on a pc for fairly cheap (see below)

second, the gpu on the XBONE is terrible compared to a gaming pc (see linus' video here

Third, it is not uncommon for PC's to have 16, 32 or even 64 GB of ddr3 2133mhz or higher Ram. But either way, system RAM speed does not affect gaming performance much.

Fourth, that 8gb of shared RAM "so they can talk to each other better" is a bunch of garbage. System ram is WAY slower than gpu ram, causing that to be a bottleneck. plus if you can have 8gb of total ram, or 8+2 gb of ram what will you pick?

(I mean, c'mon, considering the bulk of the users here, who WOULD vote for the XBone?!). :P