Crossblade Ranger FM2+ Gaming Motherboard (by Asus ROG user thou)

this is a review done by their ROG forum member

crossblade-ranger-5.jpg

http://rog.asus.com/347622014/crosshair-motherboards/unboxing-and-overview-crossblade-ranger-fm2-gaming-motherboard/

http://rog.asus.com/347712014/crosshair-motherboards/overview-guide-crossblade-ranger-by-flank3r/

http://rog.asus.com/324692014/crosshair-motherboards/crossblade-ranger-rogs-first-fm2-motherboard-the-core-of-gaming/

http://rog.asus.com/347352014/crosshair-motherboards/pr-asus-republic-of-gamers-announces-crossblade-ranger/

the Asus ROG mobo for the FM2+ platform has arrived

interesting features so far which stands out from the other FM2+ is the support for LN2 cooling!!!

removable BIOS chip

Intel NIC, SupremeFX gaming audio and their usual ROG stuffs

and able to link with the OC Panel and the ROG FrontBase

ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 :
- The tuning key perfectly consolidates ASUS-exclusive DIGI+ Power Control, TPU, EPU, and Fan Xpert 3 optimize the digital power setting, system performance, power saving and whole system cooling configuration

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132255

but wow wee the price thou $159.99 :x

but there is one thing bugging me is the two PCI slots

why are they still there on a 2014 board  :huh:??? 

Full specs in the link below

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSBLADE_RANGER/specifications/

Thanks for reading

Regards

Dragoon20005

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I would guess for people that really love their older cards... I only very recently stopped using my SB audidgy 2 ZS and that was on pci... and i would say a few people might have pci digital tv tuners? 

@harrynowl @William12h @DigitalHermit @MEC-777 @Sintezza @patrickjp93 @Faa @Faceman @bbqsauce @tabascosauz

we do know that the FM2+ APU are suppose to be a platform that is great when the user do not need a discrete GPU

but knowing that Asus still make this ROG theme mobo that is able to use the same features just like the Maximus VII and Rampage IV mobos

if you guys have the cash but you want to push the APU or the upcoming Athlon x4 860k to the highest possible speed

will you guys pick this mobo or go with the similar MSI A88X-G45 Gaming?

I do aware that mobo is not suppose to impact performance but this does not seem to apply to the AMD chips and the chipsets

It just a discussion.

Thanks

Regards

Dragoon20005

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well im using the Asus A88XM-Plus  which gives upto 30% extra GPU performance etc (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XMPLUS/)%C2'>

@harrynowl @William12h @DigitalHermit @MEC-777 @Sintezza @patrickjp93 @Faa @Faceman @bbqsauce @tabascosauz

we do know that the FM2+ APU are suppose to be a platform that is great when the user do not need a discrete GPU

but knowing that Asus still make this ROG theme mobo that is able to use the same features just like the Maximus VII and Rampage IV mobos

if you guys have the cash but you want to push the APU or the upcoming Athlon x4 860k to the highest possible speed

will you guys pick this mobo or go with the similar MSI A88X-G45 Gaming?

I do aware that mobo is not suppose to impact performance but this does not seem to apply to the AMD chips and the chipsets

It just a discussion.

Thanks

Regards

Dragoon20005

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

<snip>

A88X Gaming holds the frequnecy record for Kaveri on HWbot so there's that.

1129394.jpg

I currently use an Extreme6+ but I need to mod the VRM cooling to be beefier. I might get a different board and sell this as I have an unused amazon voucher and my A8 5600K is capable of 5.6ghz on air (I believe it's benchmark stable just instantly throttles at 1.6v on some ancient xigmatek with ghetto mounted fans + my 18a psu from 2006) just needs more cooling. In terms of buying an 860k... maybe not SHP is a crap shoot and I don't have money to buy 50 until one breaks 4.6ghz :P

between the two I'd probably take the rog one because of the massive heatsink and I know asus' uefi and like it :P

trying to get my hands on this as well

Extreme-Asus-Striker-review160.jpg

Well im using the Asus A88XM-Plus  which gives upto 30% extra GPU performance etc (

haha yea seems like Asus board support that feature

let say if you have the cash now and to pick between the MSI and Asus gaming grade mobos for the APU

which will you choose?

-magic snip-

I am quite aware of that... Read my specs in my sig... I only opted for an APU since I needed the extra time (6 months) to get a midrange graphics card (260X in my case)...

I just don't like the way AMD markets the APU as being the next FX-ish chip...

Rather than an ROG board, I'll go for any A88X board (maybe in mATX form factor) since I'm not planning on overclocking too much...

I'm running an A8-5600K OC to 4GHz (I can't push it too far due to high ambient temps) right now, and I can say that it's stable...

P.S.

That ROG board looks like it can fit a DeepCool Assassin Heatsink... I'm considering grabbing it now...

A88X Gaming holds the frequnecy record for Kaveri on HWbot, I currently use an Extreme6+ but I need to mod the VRM cooling to be beefier. I might get one as I have an unused amazon voucher and my A8 5600K is capable of 5.6ghz on air (I believe it's benchmark stable just instantly throttles) just needs more cooling.

between the two I'd probably take the rog one because of the massive heatsink and I know asus' uefi and like it :P

yea I do like the design of the ROG board

and those specs on the Asus board do look interesting indeed

damn 2666MHz OC for RAM

and the same audio and Intel NIC just like the other ROG boards

ignoring the price thou and you got the budget

-snip-

yea the record was done with LN2 cooling

which is now what Asus have done with this board

it actually LN2 ready and has the LN2 mode switch which means the voltage and other settings are unlocked for the crazy OC

and you can also use the OC panel for bench testing

i mean i possibly would? but it's an expensive board for a budget platform, so it's kinda paradoxical.

it's a cool board but unless the next gen of apu's are alot better and stay on the fm2+ platform, I don't think i'll be going with this setup.

the 7850k is already pretty expensive, add to that the cost of this mobo, you can buy a fx 6300 and decent gpu for slightly more.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

yea the record was done with LN2 cooling

which is now what Asus have done with this board

it actually LN2 ready and has the LN2 mode switch which means the voltage and other settings are unlocked for the crazy OC

and you can also use the OC panel for bench testing

If I get one I'll have a dice pot for it, unfortunately the one I got cheap on ebay was lost in the post :(

Have you got a link for the  Asus Gaming one?  Preferably the manufacturer site, Cant find it on google. 

MIS: http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/A88XG45_GAMING_Assassins_Creed_Liberation_HD.html#hero-overview 

Ill compare and decide and get back to you

haha yea seems like Asus board support that feature

let say if you have the cash now and to pick between the MSI and Asus gaming grade mobos for the APU

which will you choose?

In generally i Do like and prefer the Asus for what they offer and software, But i do like the Internet boost/ 'killer ethernet' feature that they typically offer and Asus dont 

Edited by William12h

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

i mean i possibly would? but it's an expensive board for a budget platform, so it's kinda paradoxical.

it's a cool board but unless the next gen of apu's are alot better and stay on the fm2+ platform, I don't think i'll be going with this setup.

the 7850k is already pretty expensive, add to that the cost of this mobo, you can buy a fx 6300 and decent gpu for slightly more.

good point but certain places like in Singapore now are no longer carrying the FX chip and mobo

and even if they are avaliable the price is much higher than the APU combo and also Intel + mobo combos prices are the killer and the basic i5 4690k and Z97 board cost a lot to buy not including the GPU and other parts. Add all the part together and the system cost 2 grand without monitor and other stuffs.

the iGPU on the APU is at least better than the Intel HD4600 and you still can play recent games with stable fps while the Intel struggles

If I get one I'll have a dice pot for it, unfortunately the one I got cheap on ebay was lost in the post :(

ouch that is a bummer when your package fails to arrive

Have you got a link for the  Asus Gaming one?  Preferably the manufacturer site, Cant find it on google. 

MIS: http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/A88XG45_GAMING_Assassins_Creed_Liberation_HD.html#hero-overview 

Ill compare and decide and get back to you

sure here you go

it was in the first post

I think if you are spending $150 on a motherboard in a system without a dedicated GPU, you are mismanaging your money.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

good point but certain places like in Singapore now are no longer carrying the FX chip and mobo

and even if they are avaliable the price is much higher than the APU combo and also Intel + mobo combos prices are the killer and the basic i5 4690k and Z97 board cost a lot to buy not including the GPU and other parts. Add all the part together and the system cost 2 grand without monitor and other stuffs.

the iGPU on the APU is at least better than the Intel HD4600 and you still can play recent games with stable fps while the Intel struggles

sim lim stopped carrying fx stuff? :o

i did not realize this, lol.

in that sense i guess it's a decent combo to get. well it depends on pricing and availability of parts.

if you really need the added features it's a good board. shoot for dem jiggahurtz!

edit: although, for 99bucks on amazon the g1 sniper sounds amazing.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I think if you are spending $150 on a motherboard in a system without a dedicated GPU, you are mismanaging your money.

well ROG board have to be priced that much normally because of ROG

i mean look at their Asus Hero or the Formula

ppl still buy it coz of the ROG branding

but heck anybody do love the Asus UEFI and Asus normal FM2+ boards don't appeal to me

APU are meant to be run without any discrete GPU

or you could consider the Athlon 860K which is the Kaveri with the iGPU disabled

and with the feature of LN2 mode on the board itself

it will be interesting to see how high can the Athlon 860K can go with LN2 cooling

Simple Verdict, The winner is Asus. 

They both seem to have similar features/hardware, or differences that i don't find beneficial enough for me to decide one over the other. 

Most of my decision came down to the software offered, like the: 

• Extreme Engine Digi+ III
  • ROG Extreme OC kit
  • GameFirst III
  • ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 
  • AI Suite 3

sure here you go

it was in the first post

it will be interesting to see how high can the Athlon 860K can go with LN2 cooling

I suspect it's going to be terrible :(

Half the L2 is gone and 50% of the die is gone, which means it was already quite a poor/faulty chip.

Not to mention SHP doesn't do very well at reaching 4.5ghz+ like the old SOI they used at 32nm

Any idea on competing A88X gaming-oriented boards?

i just saw the g1 sniper :D it seems pretty good for the money.

I suspect it's going to be terrible :(

Half the L2 is gone and 50% of the die is gone, which means it was already quite a poor/faulty chip.

Not to mention SHP doesn't do very well at reaching 4.5ghz+ like the old SOI they used at 32nm

yea from what we heard the 2MB L2 cache is the most horrible news for the 860K

i do understand the iGPU is broken but nvr expect the L2 cache was affected too

@dragoon20005

Any idea on competing A88X gaming-oriented boards?

so far only MSI gaming A88X is the closest rival to the Asus

but MSI made the first move

Simple Verdict, The winner is Asus. 

They both seem to have similar features/hardware, or differences that i don't find beneficial enough for me to decide one over the other. 

Most of my decision came down to the software offered, like the: 

• Extreme Engine Digi+ III
  • ROG Extreme OC kit
  • GameFirst III
  • ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 
  • AI Suite 3

yea Asus UEFI is what appeals me since I have used it frequently

MSI isnt too shabby but the Asus really stands out

i read the specs

sadly it not truly CrossFire capable

http://www.gigabyte.sg/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4683#sp

the second slot is PCI-E 2.0 x4 speed

I don't like the black and green color scheme and the area around the socket looks tight if you want to put a large heatsink on it... Or it's just perspective...

-snip-

so far only MSI gaming A88X is the closest rival to the Asus

but MSI made the first move

-snip-

Imma look into that...

Edit: Checked out the A88X-G45, looks good... I'll go check for local availability when I've got time to kill...