Is there a reason why we can't delete our own posts?

fade2black001

Because a bunch of people would ask questions, get an answer, and then delete the topic rendering it useless for others asking the same question.

Is there a reason you need to delete your own posts?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Same reason a lot of forums and places people post answers dont allow it.

If someone has the same question and it was resolved in that post it would suck if the poster just deleted the whole thread of usefull info.

Same with posters that go aight thanla for solving and then delete their questions for some reason. Lots of forums just revert the thread and lock it.

Among main reasons are troll accounts, e-bullying, attacks etc. The posts made (even edited as moderation has access to history) are paper trail to catch those who are here to cause chaos. 

You can ask removal of any thread or post by reporting it. Reposting same thing again is not valid reason however. Or "I got answer, don't need this". Also for those planning to mass report in order to purge account, please contact moderation directly instead. Rather than filling reports with things that can be handled with one PM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

the internet always remembers, friend

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:16 PM, Lurick said:

Because a bunch of people would ask questions, get an answer, and then delete the topic rendering it useless for others asking the same question.

Is there a reason you need to delete your own posts?

i didn't even think of that but yeah... people would do this lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Cause people delete the question (see reddit) thus creating this annoying loop of "question was answered, but the person asking it was embarrassed/humiliated by the answers" thus ensuring that people keep asking the same question instead of searching for it or finding it in google first.

Like don't get me wrong, it's okay to "get it wrong" sometimes, but because people keep being directed to crappy sources like ChatGPT, it's now more important than ever that people have sources of "real" answers. Simply asking the AI assistant brings us back to the problem with Wikipedia, you can not use it as a primary source. Ever.

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

Cause people delete the question (see reddit) thus creating this annoying loop of "question was answered, but the person asking it was embarrassed/humiliated by the answers" thus ensuring that people keep asking the same question instead of searching for it or finding it in google first.

Like don't get me wrong, it's okay to "get it wrong" sometimes, but because people keep being directed to crappy sources like ChatGPT, it's now more important than ever that people have sources of "real" answers. Simply asking the AI assistant brings us back to the problem with Wikipedia, you can not use it as a primary source. Ever.

ya finding something in google is bad these days... there was a time were you could look thing sup but these days... your go down a rabit hole. even finding things on youtube is also hard too...hate it click bate titles dont help ether thow

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 5/16/2024 at 10:42 PM, GoStormPlays said:

the internet always remembers, friend

And it's a core problem, not when it comes to this forum tho as personal information isn't being handled here.

There should be a way to permanently erase all personal records with no questions asked. Archival sites are good when it comes to preserving software, music, video and websites that might be useful in some years, but at the same time they're the #1 choice by bad actors when it comes to blackmailing and harassing people due to personal vendettas, ideology, etc.

Not saying we should go Netwatch but there should be a form of centralised control that can take care of these situations, at least when it comes to normie social media and mainstream websites, where you can go and say I want all of my info to be gone, and poof, all of your accounts are deleted.

With 2FA and maybe a personal key of course, otherwise anyone could go and cause chaos by deleting accounts lol

But yeah OP's question isn't that deep and the answer is "because people delete threads and questions are lost" ~

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Delete your account. That way you can remove all your posts. But seriously, what are your reasons for wanting to delete your posts?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I don't need it here, but when it comes to deleting posts that may be helpful to to others. A feature that would solve that instead of deleting: Ability to disconnect a post from an account, the post stays up but the OP name is switched out with something generic.

Don't know if mods have that ability, or if it even should be a thing, but it is an in-between alternative.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

And it's a core problem, not when it comes to this forum tho as personal information isn't being handled here.

There should be a way to permanently erase all personal records with no questions asked. Archival sites are good when it comes to preserving software, music, video and websites that might be useful in some years, but at the same time they're the #1 choice by bad actors when it comes to blackmailing and harassing people due to personal vendettas, ideology, etc.

Not saying we should go Netwatch but there should be a form of centralised control that can take care of these situations, at least when it comes to normie social media and mainstream websites, where you can go and say I want all of my info to be gone, and poof, all of your accounts are deleted.

With 2FA and maybe a personal key of course, otherwise anyone could go and cause chaos by deleting accounts lol

But yeah OP's question isn't that deep and the answer is "because people delete threads and questions are lost" ~

well that’s kinda how the world works right? you do something in the real world and someone or something is gonna keep a record for the rest of their lives.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I don't need it here, but when it comes to deleting posts that may be helpful to to others. A feature that would solve that instead of deleting: Ability to disconnect a post from an account, the post stays up but the OP name is switched out with something generic.

Don't know if mods have that ability, or if it even should be a thing, but it is an in-between alternative.

That's what happens when an account is deleted without deleting the posts on phpBB. Not sure if this forum software uses the same mechanic though.

Just now, Kisai said:

That's what happens when an account is deleted without deleting the posts on phpBB. Not sure if this forum software uses the same mechanic though.

Yah, when you delete your forum account here it replaces everything with "Guest" instead of your username so the posts stay up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What do I do when my UI stuck and end up sending duplicated posts?

2 hours ago, rickymohk said:

What do I do when my UI stuck and end up sending duplicated posts?

Just report the duplicates and the mods will remove them.

That shouldn't happen very often. Usually double posts happen when you press "Submit Reply" multiple times before the page refreshes. Just be patient and let the system do its thing. 🙂 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I still believe that requesting for their thread/post to be deleted should be more visible to OP. I though hate it when someone asks a question, I answer and next morning thread is called "delete". That shit gets on my nerves.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18