Jump to content

Hdmi cable with ethernet

Hellowpplz

So I have a thinkpad thunderbolt and hdmi dock. I normally have it to use with my phone, and im blessed to have a ethernet outlet behind my desk, so I plug it into the dock and my phone gets ethernet, easy. One day, for some reason, I plugged my laptop into the dock via hdmi rather than to my monitor, and.... I had an ethernet connection????? 

Once again this is one of those things that I have a feeling has become common by now, but I'm clueless until now

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating - I've heard of HDMI over Ethernet but never the other way around. 

Evidently the HEC feature - HDMI Ethernet Channel - was introduced with HDMI 1.4 and has been around since 2009 but is seldom used.

HDMI With Ethernet: What Is It & How Does It Work? (thehometheaterdiy.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, da na said:

Fascinating - I've heard of HDMI over Ethernet but never the other way around. 

Evidently the HEC feature - HDMI Ethernet Channel - was introduced with HDMI 1.4 and has been around since 2009 but is seldom used.

HDMI With Ethernet: What Is It & How Does It Work? (thehometheaterdiy.com)

Upon looking at the hdmi cable, it reads "3d high quality hdmi cable with ethernet passthrough"

3d????????????? lmao
But it works, 1080p at 120hz.
And now I get ethernet, and I just plug my laptop into the dock with hdmi, and then the dock to the monitor with dp

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Hellowpplz said:

Upon looking at the hdmi cable, it reads "3d high quality hdmi cable with ethernet passthrough"

3d????????????? lmao
But it works, 1080p at 120hz.

3D is also an HDMI feature, frame-sequential 3D on DLP-Link projectors is a feature that the HDMI cable, projector, and graphics card all need to support. SBS, over/under, and anaglyph 3D don't require special cables, but Frame Sequential does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, da na said:

3D is also an HDMI feature, frame-sequential 3D on DLP-Link projectors is a feature that the HDMI cable, projector, and graphics card all need to support. SBS, over/under, and anaglyph 3D don't require special cables, but Frame Sequential does.

huh....
When i first read it I thought it was bs lol
cool

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The HDMI cable can carry Ethernet, that's no big deal and nothing new.

 

The interesting bit is what your network adapters look like. 

 

Type ncpa.cpl in the start menu search and hit enter. Did a new network interface show up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The HDMI cable can carry Ethernet, that's no big deal and nothing new.

 

The interesting bit is what your network adapters look like. 

 

Type ncpa.cpl in the start menu search and hit enter. Did a new network interface show up?

 

Uhhhh like what

A menu shows up with my bluetooth and my ethernet connection

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

 

Uhhhh like what

A menu shows up with my bluetooth and my wifi

Wifi? What about a wired network interface for this connection via HDMI? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Wifi? What about a wired network interface for this connection via HDMI? 

Yeah, I meant that by wifi

Sorry, forgot how (not) broad of a term that is 😅

Edited by Hellowpplz

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hellowpplz said:

Yeah, I meant that by wifi

Sorry, forgot how broad of a term that is 😅

It really isn't.  WiFi is a means of carrying ethernet wirelessly, if you're using it to mean anything else, then that's just plain wrong.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×