I've got a theoretical problem with SSDs & RAID 0

Crimluck
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

1) Ok, will do :) 2) I'm sorry, I really want to do the RAID and the PCIe SSDs are way too expensive... I am planning to have the two SSDs backed up on a HDD to prevent loss of important data.

Even though the SSDs are the Samsung EVO 840s with TRIM technology? I will have the two of them backed up on a seperate HDD. Thank you for your opinions, really. But I really would like to know the process how shall I do what (does it make sense? :D ) I am well aware of the dangers that comes with a RAID 0 setup.

Ok then. You will need to set up raid using formatted drives, so back up the data from the first SSD to a separate HDD, format both SSDs, set up raid following one of the many tutorials online and on youtube, then restore your data from the backup.

Hello,

As I said, it's just me thinking ahead and I've come to a problem(?), maybe you'll help me understand how it works(RAID).

Let's say I would buy a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB now and I would copy over the Windows OS and all that stuff (games and other programs) from my old HDD.

And later I would buy another one(same one-Samsung 840 EVO 250GB), could I just simply plug it into the motherboard, setup the RAID 0 for those two drives and

the content from the 1st drive would copy over to the second one(for the faster read)???

I'm still not very knowledgeable about how RAID functions :(

All I know is that: (correct me if I'm wrong)

- RAID 0 gives you double write and read and you've still got the same amount of memory to store on

unlike

- RAID X (X>0) where you lose the memory on one of the drives, but it gives you redundancy

Back to the main problem(in my head), will it work? If I plug in the second SSD later?

If not, how am I supposed to copy over the Windows to an already made RAID 0?

Thanks for ANY helpful explanations :)

1) DO not copy your HDD over to your SSD. It's a waste of performance. Take the time to do a proper clean install.

2) Don't do raid. It will cause way more problems that are not worth the little speed boost. If you want more speed save up for a PCIe SSD or wait for sata express.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Let me skip your questions and tell you my honest opinion, and some people will agree and others disagree.

If you're talking about a daily system that you will use, do not use a Raid 0, if one of your SSD's dies you will lose the data that both of them contain.

1) DO not copy your HDD over to your SSD. It's a waste of performance. Take the time to do a proper clean install.2) Don't do raid. It will cause way more problems that are not worth the little speed boost. If you want more speed save up for a PCIe SSD or wait for sata express.
1) Ok, will do :)2) I'm sorry, I really want to do the RAID and the PCIe SSDs are way too expensive...I am planning to have the two SSDs backed up on a HDD to prevent loss of important data.
Let me skip your questions and tell you my honest opinion, and some people will agree and others disagree.If you're talking about a daily system that you will use, do not use a Raid 0, if one of your SSD's dies you will lose the data that both of them contain.
Even though the SSDs are the Samsung EVO 840s with TRIM technology? I will have the two of them backed up on a seperate HDD.Thank you for your opinions, really.But I really would like to know the process how shall I do what (does it make sense? :D )I am well aware of the dangers that comes with a RAID 0 setup.

1) Ok, will do :) 2) I'm sorry, I really want to do the RAID and the PCIe SSDs are way too expensive... I am planning to have the two SSDs backed up on a HDD to prevent loss of important data.

Even though the SSDs are the Samsung EVO 840s with TRIM technology? I will have the two of them backed up on a seperate HDD. Thank you for your opinions, really. But I really would like to know the process how shall I do what (does it make sense? :D ) I am well aware of the dangers that comes with a RAID 0 setup.

Ok then. You will need to set up raid using formatted drives, so back up the data from the first SSD to a separate HDD, format both SSDs, set up raid following one of the many tutorials online and on youtube, then restore your data from the backup.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Based on your RAID knowledge level, I would say it's better if you do not run RAID for your system. If something happens to one of your drives, you will need to reinstall. You cannot restore half of a RAID0 that you were storing on a separate hard drive or something.

Thank you very much for this easily understandable description of steps that I should take... but Lord Linus came to me (*_*)

Really sorry for this fangirl-ing over here, but for me Linus is like Anand for him, so please, try to understand me :D

Based on your RAID knowledge level, I would say it's better if you do not run RAID for your system. If something happens to one of your drives, you will need to reinstall. You cannot restore half of a RAID0 that you were storing on a separate hard drive or something.

@LinusTech thank you very much for your advice, I'll try to expand my knowledge on RAID and maybe someday in the future I'll try to tackle this problem again :)

Thank you very much for this easily understandable description of steps that I should take... but Lord Linus came to me (*_*)

Really sorry for this fangirl-ing over here, but for me Linus is like Anand for him, so please, try to understand me :D

@LinusTech thank you very much for your advice, I'll try to expand my knowledge on RAID and maybe someday in the future I'll try to tackle this problem again :)

All hail Linus. Follow his advice, even though I told you not to use raid before he did  ;)

Spoiler

All hail Linus. Follow his advice, even though I told you not to use raid before he did ;)

I would follow him to the end of the world :D All hail Linus! :)