Why do SandForce SSD controllers have a bad reputation?

Askew

I've been reading comparisons of the Samsung 840 EVO to the Intel 530 (and several other drives) and I'm seeing quite a lot of flak levied at Intel's use of a SandForce controller in the drives.

The people moaning about it don't elaborate very well, does anyone know the reason? What is it that those controllers do wrong as opposed to the controller in the 840 EVO for example?

The Intel 530 uses a SandForce SF-2200 controller.

They used to blow reliability wise, but that has improved. 

Consistency of speeds as well I believe, Ima tag this guy

@hojnikb

I bet he would have something to add.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

its not like sandforce controllers are bad, its just that samsung makes their own controller which are better for reliability, 

if you want to know the difference, its something to do with that the samsung has 3-core controllers, better firmware, better clone software, faster (i think)

im not a SSD expert tho, thats what i recall what makes the samsung 'better'

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

the controller from Samsung are designed in house and so is the firmware

quality control and consistency is what makes Samsung SSDs really good but commands a high price 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

its not like sandforce controllers are bad, its just that samsung makes their own controller which are better for reliability, 

if you want to know the difference, its something to do with that the samsung has 3-core controllers, better firmware, better clone software, faster (i think)

im not a SSD expert tho, thats what i recall what makes the samsung 'better'

So far I'm seeing as if the tradeoff is that Samsung uses TLC NAND which has less durability than the MLC NAND that is used in the Intel drive, so with the EVO you get a superior controller but less longevity on the memory.

So far I'm seeing as if the tradeoff is that Samsung uses TLC NAND which has less durability than the MLC NAND that is used in the Intel drive, so with the EVO you get a superior controller but less longevity on the memory.

well that why you have the 850 Pro :P

they got the drives for different market

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

quality control and consistency is what makes Samsung SSDs really good but commands a high price 

Intel's drives are also designed in house, even the controller on the 530 has custom firmware and is actually Intel branded on the chip itself, also the price of the Intel drive is higher than that of the 840 EVO.

Intel offers 5 year warranty and Samsung 3, I am trying to choose between these drives and it is quite difficult due to my over interest in the technicalities between them.

I have also heard that Samsung's SSD Magician software leaves something to be desired where as Intel's tools are better.

I would like a faster SSD but I do value overall reliability and longevity more, I know there is 840 and even 850 PRO now but in that market sector we are dealing with Intel's 730 drives as competition, I am looking in the lower segment at specifically Intel 530 vs Samsung 840 EVO.

There was a bug in 2011 when Intel owned SandForce that caused BSODs and the drive to disconnect and was fixed pretty quickly via a firmware update but most people jumped ship when that happened and people still just hate even though LSI bought them out then Seagate bought that division from LSI.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

There was a bug in 2011 when Intel owned SandForce that caused BSODs and the drive disconnecting and was fixed pretty quickly via a firmware update but most people jumped ship when that happened and people still just hate even though LSI owns SandForce now.

So you think that it may be a bad reputation that is perhaps undeserved now?

They blow up? What? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Pretty much and AFAIK all Kingston drives use SandForce controllers and some drives like the HyperX 3K have a chip that I'm pretty sure is made by SandForce that compresses data as it's written then decompresses it when it's read making them faster to compete with Samsung's binned in house only Nand which isn't that much faster so why people still hate on SandForce is unclear when they're almost as good as Samsung's Controllers but at a lower price.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Intel's drives are also designed in house, even the controller on the 530 has custom firmware and is actually Intel branded on the chip itself, also the price of the Intel drive is higher than that of the 840 EVO.

Intel offers 5 year warranty and Samsung 3, I am trying to choose between these drives and it is quite difficult due to my over interest in the technicalities between them.

I have also heard that Samsung's SSD Magician software leaves something to be desired where as Intel's tools are better.

I would like a faster SSD but I do value overall reliability and longevity more, I know there is 840 and even 850 PRO now but in that market sector we are dealing with Intel's 730 drives as competition, I am looking in the lower segment at specifically Intel 530 vs Samsung 840 EVO.

No it doesnt have any custom firemware at all (that was total bullshit from intels side that was confirmed not to be true).  Firmware is mostly stock sandforce (there are some tweaks specific to intel) controller itself is identical to other drives.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

There was a bug in 2011 when Intel owned SandForce that caused BSODs and the drive to disconnect and was fixed pretty quickly via a firmware update but most people jumped ship when that happened and people still just hate even though LSI bought them out then Seagate bought that division from LSI.

That was actually a hardware issue (power logic was designed my monkies) that was patched via firmware update. It's still there, only less frequent (most people dont get them now).

they got cheaper now (cheaper than c. mx100), and the price of the 840 evo/pro will get down a bit too cuz of the 850series

In deserved allright. Although bsods are mostly fixed now (i'm not sure if latest stepping fixed this in hardware aswell) its still broken by design. Its still slow under incompressible workload and TRIM STILL doesn't work properly.

So yeah, sandforce 2nd gen is no good.

they got cheaper now (cheaper than c. mx100), and the price of the 840 evo/pro will get down a bit too cuz of the 850series

MX100 is still a better buy, because its usually only a tad more expensive, but its faster and waaay more reliable.

MX100 is still a better buy, because its usually only a tad more expensive, but its faster and waaay more reliable.

I knew you could really contribute to this.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

lol no, samsung is better in every categorie

In deserved allright. Although bsods are mostly fixed now (i'm not sure if latest stepping fixed this in hardware aswell) its still broken by design. Its still slow under incompressible workload and TRIM STILL doesn't work properly.

So yeah, sandforce 2nd gen is no good.

So, what about Marvel's controller in the MX100?

Am I right in assuming that an MX100 is perhaps a better purchase than an 840 EVO or an Intel 530?

I can buy a 256GB MX100 for £12 more than the 120GB Intel 530 I was looking at, and 250GB EVO for about £18 more.

And then you wake up with samsungs willy up your a** :lol: :lol: :lol:

MX100 is faster (in almost every corner), has better flash (quality MLC instead of TLC garbage), powerloss protection...

mx100 is cheaper. But I'd pay for an evo.

muh specs 

All parts black

So, what about Marvel's controller in the MX100?

Am I right in assuming that an MX100 is perhaps a better purchase than an 840 EVO or an Intel 530?

I can buy a 256GB MX100 for £12 more than the 120GB Intel 530 I was looking at, and 250GB EVO for about £18 more.

Marvell is a proven controller (sandisk and plextor are using the same silicon in their highend drives for example).

MX100 256GB is the best option hands down, especially if its the cheapest one.

Marvell is a proven controller (sandisk and plextor are using the same silicon in their highend drives for example).

A MX100 is much cheaper than an evo but if I'm not mistaken somewhat slower?

muh specs 

All parts black

A MX100 is much cheaper than an evo but if I'm not mistaken somewhat slower?

No its not slower, its actually faster.

Don't get fooled by inflated numbers caused by turbowrite :)

OK thank you for your replies, I'm happy that the MX100 is a decent drive, the only problem I have now is that after release the 256GB model (the one I want) went straight to no1 seller at my retailer and is now out of stock. :D