The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

Of course he would have troubles installing OS X, it was not on officially supported hardware

He's never taken the time to actually try and switch to a MacBook before, plus u can always install windows

I keep forgetting you can just run windows on them yes. So actually yeah, I can see that. However good luck convincing him  :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

It took me maybe a day to get used to Mac OS. Two days in and I was doing everything I needed to be able to. It would not take Linus months to learn how to use a Mac.

took me a few days to get used to it. Would be more than a week if I didn't have third party software to add window snapping and double clicking title bar to maximize a window.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Exactly, your not paying for extreme hardware. Your paying for the design and development of exceptionally stable hardware (like workstation grade)

Edit: also what laptop can you find with an aluminum unibody casing, 1600p screen, workstation grade hardware (that's why windows computers crash more often) and a 9 hour battery.

Edit, Edit: not to mention its ultrabook style portability.

9 hour battery is haswell. Most competitors have now beaten the screen resolution. Mac's are stable because apple restricts hardware and only develops and optimises OSX for certain platforms, which screams of laziness to me. Workstation grade hardware is on the Mac Pro, be careful not to mix them up. You are paying for aluminium, the kind you get from a can of coke, and the same portability and style a chromebook can give you.

It's absolutely amazing for an OSX experience, I would get one over an imac or a mac pro, but you can't justify it's cost other than by saying 'you can't get a REAL mac without spending this much' which is what everyone's problem is with apple's products. Hence I will stick to my windows machines.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

The problem people seem to have with these comparisons to Apple products is not factoring in preference. Obviously a big issue is people constantly saying the products are overpriced which for quite some time they were. However even if they aren't anymore there is no point to constantly bringing it up and defending or bashing the product. People will use what they want to use, a lot of people do not like Apple designs and do not like what they get for the asking price. That is fine and that is their choice, Windows laptops are just as good as Macs when it comes to designing rather than gaming. I have used both extensively and found only subtle differences in UI and no difference in performance. The point being, people will use what they prefer and stating they should use something because you think it's better is ridiculous. These threads really need to stop being created.

but the problem is that people believe they are overpriced, so they don't buy it. This thread clears it all up. Nothing wrong with showing people it's not overpriced

but the problem is that people believe they are overpriced, so they don't buy it. This thread clears it all up. Nothing wrong with showing people it's not overpriced

They not overpriced for the spec but if u are willing to compromise on size/weight and go for FHD then you can get alot better options. 

Edit: There prices get a bit crazy when u start wanting to upgrade SSD, $300 for 256 gb to 512 gb is crazy.

There have been hundreds of these threads clearing this up. There are way to many, I see them almost every other day on here.

They not overpriced for the spec but if u are willing to compromise on size/weight and go for FHD then you can get alot better options.

Edit: There prices get a bit crazy when u start wanting to upgrade SSD, $300 for 256 gb to 512 gb is crazy.

PCIe ssd's are like $1 per gb sometimes more, so it makes sense

There have been hundreds of these threads clearing this up. There are way to many, I see them almost every other day on here.

there's none with a proper comparison spec for spec then :P

there's none with a proper comparison spec for spec then :P

There has been, this topic is a dead horse people just keep beating. It's reposting of the highest caliber. Almost all are extremely biased as well saying one is superior to the other when they are basically identical.

There has been, this topic is a dead horse people just keep beating. It's reposting of the highest caliber. Almost all are extremely biased as well saying one is superior to the other when they are basically identical.

I'm not saying it's superior to the other laptops. It's a good value is what I'm saying. I'm posting it because I'm tired of people saying macbook are overpriced.

I'm not saying it's superior to the other laptops. It's a good value is what I'm saying. I'm posting it because I'm tired of people saying macbook are overpriced.

You aren't really going to convince anyone on here. A lot of them are die-hard against Apple no matter what, there's two-sides of the fence. Those that use Apple and love them and those That do not and hate them. Those who are on the fence don't fall to either side and use both regardless.

You aren't really going to convince anyone on here. A lot of them are die-hard against Apple no matter what, there's two-sides of the fence. Those that use Apple and love them and those That do not and hate them. Those who are on the fence don't fall to either side and use both regardless.

if they look at spec comparisons, I'm sure I'll convince some people. That's how a few friends and I were convinced back when we hated macs

My favorite part is where the part "designed for professional work and developers" is in bold even though that's complete BS. Who the hell is daft enough to consciously put that in the list? What does it matter? The MBP is obviously a consumer product that's designed both for pros and devs and normal facebook-type-people but it wasn't developed SPECIFICALLY for professionals, not any more than any POS windows tower was. They just say it was so that people will, through some incredible act of sucker-up-ism, add it to their list as a positive.

All that being said, I don't think MBPs are particulalry overpriced anymore. They're expensive, and I don't care for their OS and I'll never own one myself because I loathe Apple, but if you actually have need for the MBP's features and want to pay more for a luxury product, then the MBP is a fine option. And to me it's the resale value argument that really settles it. 3 years down the line you can still sell your MBP for an absolutely ludicrous amount of money because people who buy those computers on ebay don't know what they're doing. They're just throwing money out of the windows while salivating for the next piece of jewelry (a macbook pro) to add to their collection of shiny stuff they don't actually need.

Executive summary:
-MBP's are NOT overpriced.

-Most people should not buy them because despite not being overpriced, they are too expensive
-People like luxury products like expensive cars, so who are we to judge
-We'll judge them anyway because we are assholes
-Luckily the resale value of MBPs is excellent because people who want MBPs are not very clever which drives up the prices for everyone
-This means that even if you buy an MBP, you can just resell it down the line and cut your losses

Please remember that we all have expensive shit that we don't need. If lil Sally needs a $2000 MBP to take notes in university and dick around on facebook 14 hours a day and that amuses you, don't forget that you bought a PC case worth 2-3x what you should have paid for a case, you have $60 gaming mouse and a $120 keyboard with leds, you bought expensive sleeved cables for your modular PSU that was 50% more expensive so that you could make it look pretty, you bought a tablet that you don't use and you may have a gaming laptop, you have expensive GPUs just to run games that you don't even play anymore at settings that you don't really need to enjoy them, you buy shit just to run benchmarks on them. And if you haven't done any of this, you spend your money in other stupid ways. You buy cigarettes or you put a spoiler on your ugly civic, or you buy Ambercrombie and Fitch shirts. You too, like Sally, derive pleasure from complete and utter bullshit. Welcome to the roughnecks.

dude that's me too. My parents are buying me a mac when I get a 2000 on the SAT but I need to wait for Broadwell... The sad thing is that the Broadwell version will be better than my i5 2500k..

y no 2400 perfect score?

Plus, I just can't use OSX no matter what. The application support is still a bit lacking and oversimplified (which I guess is good for people who aren't as tech savvy) Plus, I don't like wasting part of my already valuable ssd space on OSX which im never gonna use. And drivers are never going to be as up to date since (to my knowledge) must be from Apple. Could be wrong about the drivers though.

Not to mention the silver and white theme has become so overstated that it literally has become an eyesore (no offense, just IMO) and playing to get it custom done like what (MKBHD did) would be too costly for an already expensive device. 

Razer Blade is more my thing because I do game alot and that that 870M (even though i'm a AMD type of guy, mobile side, theres really only Nvidia as an option) is nice to have. Not to mention touchscreen has been actually surprisingly useful for me in Windows 8 (even though I can't stand Metro UI) for productivity and general file browsing (nothing to say about the types of files)

Whatever floats your boats I guess. I don't recommend the MBP mostly because the people who ask me for high end laptop recommendations are into gaming.

Add to those charts that no macbook has a touch screen, sizes above 15 inch, or dual drive bays, OR numpad.

My favorite part is where the part "designed for professional work and developers" is in bold even though that's complete BS. Who the hell is daft enough to consciously put that in the list? What does it matter? The MBP is obviously a consumer product that's designed both for pros and devs and normal facebook-type-people but it wasn't developed SPECIFICALLY for professionals, not any more than any POS windows tower was. They just say it was so that people will, through some incredible act of sucker-up-ism, add it to their list as a positive.

All that being said, I don't think MBPs are particulalry overpriced anymore. They're expensive, and I don't care for their OS and I'll never own one myself because I loathe Apple, but if you actually have need for the MBP's features and want to pay more for a luxury product, then the MBP is a fine option. And to me it's the resale value argument that really settles it. 3 years down the line you can still sell your MBP for an absolutely ludicrous amount of money because people who buy those computers on ebay don't know what they're doing. They're just throwing money out of the windows while salivating for the next piece of jewelry (a macbook pro) to add to their collection of shiny stuff they don't actually need.

Executive summary:

-MBP's are NOT overpriced.

-Most people should not buy them because despite not being overpriced, they are too expensive

-People like luxury products like expensive cars, so who are we to judge

-We'll judge them anyway because we are assholes

-Luckily the resale value of MBPs is excellent because people who want MBPs are not very clever which drives up the prices for everyone

-This means that even if you buy an MBP, you can just resell it down the line and cut your losses

Please remember that we all have expensive shit that we don't need. If lil Sally needs a $2000 MBP to take notes in university and dick around on facebook 14 hours a day and that amuses you, don't forget that you bought a PC case worth 2-3x what you should have paid for a case, you have $60 gaming mouse and a $120 keyboard with leds, you bought expensive sleeved cables for your modular PSU that was 50% more expensive so that you could make it look pretty, you bought a tablet that you don't use and you may have a gaming laptop, you have expensive GPUs just to run games that you don't even play anymore at settings that you don't really need to enjoy them, you buy shit just to run benchmarks on them. And if you haven't done any of this, you spend your money in other stupid ways. You buy cigarettes or you put a spoiler on your ugly civic, or you buy Ambercrombie and Fitch shirts. You too, like Sally, derive pleasure from complete and utter bullshit. Welcome to the roughnecks.

1. Well it's not for gamers or the average consumer that's for damn sure. And I bolded it because people keep comparing it to gaming laptops which is stupid. Like comparing a workstation FirePro graphics card to a gtx 780

2. Not SPECIFICALLY for pros, but it's more of a thing for pros because why on earth would the average consumer even need it. Then again, they still buy it because they are stupid since they don't even need it.

3. Just because many people buy then for the wrong reasons doesn't mean we should judge the MacBook in a bad way.

Add to those charts that no macbook has a touch screen, sizes above 15 inch, or dual drive bays, OR numpad.

It's noted if the laptop has a touch screen or not, all those laptops are for portability so nothing over 15in of course. K I'll add that tho it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for most

what kind of argument is "-amazing" supposed to be?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

It's noted if the laptop has a touch screen or not, all those laptops are for portability so nothing over 15in of course. K I'll add that tho it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for most

Saying that portable means up to 15 inch is bullsh!t. Laptop is a laptop, can be moved around without cables. Just because you don't find it useful or Jobs said so doesn't make it true, typing from HDX 18 atm.

Also, resolution wouldn't be a deal breaker for <most> nor the fact that SSD is not PCIe based over SATA.

While I know MBPs are powerful, and can be of value for some. My only problem with the company more than with just the product is pushing looks over function, especially in the stationary business.

Yeah of course, over 50% of the price is just for this:

-snip-

That's a really dumb comment, did you even look at the link?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

what kind of argument is "-amazing" supposed to be?

I never said that

Saying that portable means up to 15 inch is bullsh!t. Laptop is a laptop, can be moved around without cables. Just because you don't find it useful or Jobs said so doesn't make it true, typing from HDX 18 atm.

Also, resolution wouldn't be a deal breaker for <most> nor the fact that SSD is not PCIe based over SATA.

While I know MBPs are powerful, and can be of value for some. My only problem with the company more than with just the product is pushing looks over function, especially in the stationary business.

more than 15in can be portable but not AS portable. Well it's powerful and has great looks

mac.jpg

Classic.

I just cant see spending +1000$ on a laptop that cant play most (FPS) games then you can build a wrecker of a desktop.

But if we are sticking to laptops, I just don't like the os.

As for programs and content creation, anything you can do we can do the same.

mac.jpg

Classic.

I just cant see spending +1000$ on a laptop that cant play most (FPS) games then you can build a wrecker of a desktop.

But if we are sticking to laptops, I just don't like the os.

As for programs and content creation, anything you can do we can do the same.

Spec for spec compared to similar laptops, its a great value. Not all laptops are meant for gaming. And those that are, are usually overpriced, except for that asus one linus did a review on a while back where he compared it to building a desktop instead.

The only people that care are insecure neckbeards who think bashing either side will make them feel good, and guess what? It probably does. Sane and logical consumers (read: everyone outside of this forum, because this forum is roughly the 0.01% of the actual market) don't care.

They spend their money how they see fit, where they see fit. 

Do you clowns make fun of people who buy 10 million dollar homes and say "Well, you could've saved 60% and gotten a home thats got even more rooms and even more space". Do you clowns make fun of people who buy 100k cars for commuting even though a 15k econobox does the same thing? 

Do you realize how stupid your 'arguments' would sound in real life? You try to judge people on how they spend their own money and then try and 'mock' them for it or label them as 'fanboys'. 

I have a Mac laptop, a built by my hands desktop, I use Windows Phone and have an Android tablet. I game across 3 platforms and I even own a honest to god mechanical watch to check the time and date. Some of you probably just blew your brains reading that because you're too stubborn to comprehend that some people have no problem using everything and some people just don't care about what is "better". 

I'll always buy whatever makes the most sense to me. Could be Mac, could be HP, could be Sony, could be motherfucking Voodoo. Whatever works, works and sometimes you pay for ease of use and after sales support, kinda like on IBMs/Lenovos. Their hardware isn't much to write home about, you're paying for after sales support the likes of which we rarely see. You're paying for the longevity and validation, to whatever extent they can manage on a laptop. 

You keep throwing around specs as if anyone actually cares. Do you think joe average Best Buy consumer cares? Really? Mac, Windows; all the same. Specs really are just numbers to average consumers. You're being mad at Apple for doing their job as a BUSINESS and marketing their stuff better than anyone else. You can be damn fucking sure that if Razer or HP or anyone could replicate Apple's vertical integration and lunacy level profits that they'd do it in a heartbeat. EVeryone wants money, Apple is just the best at it for now. And thats what makes all you fanboys so upset, is that Apple turned marketing into an artform and that they succeed in marketing to the masses. 

We've been used to buying overpriced things so far, Look at nvidia, they keep the price way over the top & when AMD matches the perfomance @ a lower price , they magically can Withold losses & drop the price down below the AMD tier, But i've never seen a single thread complaining about how overpriced the mid-tier cards are from nvidia, Pretty much how people act when they are told they're getting a bargain when they are not, Apple is just another company like that whether like AMD or nvidia you decide , Just too many hater once they get a name for themselves & start moving products .

Details separate people.