Home Server Build

Scheer

I figured that I may as well post up as I plan out and build this as some of you might catch mistakes I make before I get too far ahead where changing them will be a pain. I am wanting a home server for file sharing, streaming movies to a few HTPC's, as well as backing up the PC's. I've already picked up a copy of Windows Home Server 2011 to run.

Initially I was going to go with one of the miniature HP servers, but I decided to build my own as I am not in a hurry to get it up and running and the project should be fun. The biggest downfall to the mini servers was lack of an option for a RAID card down the road, I decided on a mATX motherboard for the few extra PCI-e slots so that I can also upgrade to dual LAN.

After I made up my mind on a motherboard I began searching for compact mATX cases that could hold 6 3.5" HDD's, and was unable to find one that I really liked. I have always enjoyed metalwork, so I have decided to build my own case to my exact specifications. I figure that it will be great experience for a planned build I have to embed a PC into a desk. I have a Lian Li V350 motherboard tray on the way as a starting point for the case:

2014.jpg

I want the case to be as short as possible, where it is barely taller than the mATX motherboard. Two small hard drives will be mounted behind the motherboard and will be in RAID1 for the OS, then I will use a drive cage from a Corsair 500R for the storage drives. I have one cage ordered at the moment, but I will plan the case out to add another on top of it for future storage expansion.

500rdrivecage_01.png

The structure of the case will be Misumi 15mm extrusions with aluminum and carbon fiber panels. I have a sheet of aluminum mesh on order for a mesh bezel around the front panel as the intake to keep a clean look with a solid front panel. I still have not decided on the power supply size or location, but I do like the idea of having it intake from the front and exhausting out the top or side. I am also undecided on the CPU; my motherboard is 1155, so I am deciding between an i3-2100T/2120T, something more powerful such as an i5-2500T, or even stepping up to a low power Xeon. I was bidding on an e3-1260L, but it ended up going for more than I was willing to spend for a file server.

I have a majority of the parts on order and will update with some pictures when they arrive. Thanks for looking.

Just as a quick update I received most of my parts, but am still waiting on the extrusion.

DSC_0063.JPG

I was trying to decide on the front panel and came across the one in the lower left of the above picture... it looked perfect on my screen, but I didn't realize that it was that big until it showed up. I'll be going back to my original plan and cobbling together old PC parts for the panel.

DSC_0064.JPG

Below is a rough layout of what I am thinking. I'll be making a wider sheet to rivet onto the I/O and PCI slot area, with holes for a 120 or 140mm fan. The motherboard tray will also be trimmed down to the width of the motherboard.

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

What are you going to be using the server for? How much RAM is in it I only saw two sticks? I love the case idea it looks great so far.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

It will be for file sharing and backing up the PC's. I went with 4GB of RAM as anything more is unnecessary for my uses.

The extrusions shipped today, so I won't have those until the middle of next week. In the mean time I am working on the measurements for the plate to go around the I/O and should have a template cut out later today.

The tray was tapped for M3 screws, so the proper holes were re-drilled and tapped to #6 for the motherboard standoffs that I had.

WP_20130118_002.jpg

The motherboard was installed and marked to shorten it down.

WP_20130118_003.jpg

WP_20130118_004.jpg

The rear plate rivets were drilled out, and the pieces de-greased for painting.

WP_20130118_005.jpg

Primed:

WP_20130118_007.jpg

And all finished up:

WP_20130118_008.jpg

Looks sweet, what are the specs of it.

Planning to build one for my house, as we need safe storage

Intel H61BEB3 Motherboard

Corsair Cx430M PSU

2 x 2GB Mushkin Silverline RAM

Still no HDD's or CPU, but I'll most likely go with a i3-2100T.

The extrusions showed up today earlier than expected! I didn't have much time to work on the case, but I did change my mind a little bit about the layout. The extrusions turned out to be smaller than I was thinking they would be, even though I knew the measurements I just didn't realize how small they were... Its all for the better though as they are going to work out very well.

WP_20130122_001.jpg

They can be cut with a miter saw that has a high tooth count carbide tipped blade, so they are very easy to work with when you don't have special tools. The hole in the center is 2.4mm diameter which is the correct size to tap for M3 threads. The slots are the correct size to fit M3 screw heads and nuts, so it is extremely easy to attach pieces to them or attach them together. You can do joints either with angles that you bolt on, or by tapping the end, threading a bolt in and sliding the bolt head down the slot of a second piece. Then you drill a hole in the second piece to get access to tighten the bolt, you can see an example of this in the pictures below.

WP_20130122_002.jpg

WP_20130122_003.jpg

WP_20130122_004.jpg

So here is my current layout... Initially I wasn't going to run the extrusions on top or below the motherboard to make it as short as possible, but due to the size of these I'll sacrifice the height to gain some rigidity. The extrusions are not cut to proper length, I left them long so that I could use them to test different layouts. The first picture shows where I will have two hard drives mounted behind the motherboard tray, and the second is where I will mount the last four. I am going to ditch the Corsair cage and just cut out plates to hold them.

WP_20130122_005.jpg

WP_20130122_009.jpg

WP_20130122_011.jpg

Tomorrow I will be receiving a shipment of M3 fasteners and hopefully will finish my project for work in time to get some time to work on this. Currently after my day to day duties at work I am working on a roof rack for our Yamaha Rhinos when they take them up to mountain tops. I'm using a large version of these extrusions for it :)

WP_20130118_006.jpg

WP_20130118_012.jpg

Our current solution isn't the greatest...

IMG00008-20100327-1739.jpg

So I have the frame partially finished up, it may change yet... but so far I am happy with this layout. The only issue I may have is the amount of space remaining to fit in hard drives.

The power supply will be set back about an inch from the back so that I can fit the 120mm fan. I'm not sure how to go about mounting it yet, most likely I will use threaded rod attached to the back panel.

WP_20130123_009.jpg

WP_20130123_010.jpg

WP_20130123_012.jpg

WP_20130123_013.jpg

looking good can not wait to see more :)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

You should make it a see through, plexiglass computer! That would look ballin!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I did consider it, but I think that dust would stick to it really bad and would end up bothering me too much. Plus the extrusion joints are quite ugly since I had to ream the screw access holes oval to make some adjustments.

You can solve the dust with a leafblower.
But, theres nothing I can think of to remedy the joints :C

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Wow this looks really awesome so far! Can't wait to see the finished build. Keep at it!

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Great stuff! cant wait to see it skinned.

Looking great! Nice to see an actual build log.

Keep up the great work.

Looks like the project will be on hold until this weekend, I ended up heading out to Minneapolis for training on fiber testing which should be interesting. :)

I was pretty excited that I was going to be able to stop into a Microcenter and honestly I was very disappointed... messy, unorganized, and more cheesy little tech items than actual PC parts... I'll be sticking to ordering parts online.

Thanks for the comments.

Ah, it looks like the forum lost my last post. Works out this way as I said that I wasn't going to be working on this until the weekend as I had to leave for work, but plans changed and I returned home last night. I am now certified for installing and testing fiber lines. :)

Not much of an update, but my CPU arrived while I was gone so I finally got to test the system and it looks like I am all good. As I type I am also drawing up the back panel in CAD to get a mock-up plate cut out, I'm trying to decide between just doing an array of holes for the fan vent or to do some kind of design in it.

WP_20130131_002.jpg

I cut the back plate out today, then brought it home to install WHS2011. Only running one hard drive right now, and at load it pulls about 100 watts, 30 at idle.

WP_20130203_001.jpg