Netflix is now streaming in 4k

Ashley

Netflix is jumping on the 4k train with House of Cards which will now be streaming in 4k.

For now that is the only thing Netflix will be streaming at this extreme resolution, along side some nameless documentaries.

I wonder how they are accomplishing this? Because 720/1080p Netflix already causes some people issues. Do they force you to buffer the whole episode before watching I wonder?

(edit) Netflix is accomplishing this by using a newer codec: h.265. Which reportedly will use 12-15mbps on your home connection.

While those in rural areas may not be able to attain this, the average US download speed is ~22mbps which means the average connection if properly utilized can handle this today without buffering. source for the edit: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456181,00.asp

(Image from The Verge)

LqC44TS.png?1

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/8/5593520/netflix-is-now-streaming-4k-starting-with-house-of-cards

Edited by Ashley

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Nice, hopefully this will kickstart some people into buying 4K TV's and monitors so the prices begin go down.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Nice. Now YouTube and Netflix are uploading content in very high resolutions. Too bad my broadband only supports about 10-20 secs of 4K video :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Netflix is going to pay the ISPs some more.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Nice, hopefully this will kickstart some people into buying 4K TV's and monitors so the prices begin go down.

I would like to say that although the product itself goes down I want to see the more content from other tv companies and media creators.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Netflix is going to pay the ISPs some more.

Maybe the Comcast deal was a preemptive strategy to get Comcast to properly handle all the packets Netflix will be streaming out onto their network.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

i can see another tek comming about ISPs giving even more of a hard time to them in a couple of weeks/months

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Nice. Now YouTube and Netflix are uploading content in very high resolutions. Too bad my broadband only supports about 10-20 secs of 4K video :(

You can snatch 4k videos from Youtube with this to play back locally.

http://4kdownload.com/

It works will all resolutions including grabbing playlists and entire channels.

Doesn't work with the "Watch later" playlist though, far as I can tell.

amazing beautiful horrible low bitrate at 4k

who are you kidding

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Gonna see how this one plays out.  I'm thinking it will end up with everyone owing the VerAT&comWarner mega corp more money...

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Considering North America has shit tier ISPs that get billions of profit, but never upgrade anything, Netflix can have fun with that.

Hopefully, TV's in 4K will get cheaper. Even though I don't use Netflix, it's nice to see a reputable company jumping on the 4K bandwagon. 

I'm glad I have my 50Down/10Up internet. 

amazing beautiful horrible low bitrate at 4k

who are you kidding

Low bitrate? Maybe, but it's h.265, if it was h.264 you would need a bitrate of 24-30Mbps to obtain the same quality.

Hot diggity dog, can't wait to see Netflix's bill by the end of the year.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Hot diggity dog, can't wait to see Netflix's bill by the end of the year.

It is just a few titles, not their entire movie/tv show collection. Plus they're using a new codec (better compression I imagine).

If anything I'd say their bills are already huge and this is a drop in the bucket... Until they add more and more 4k content.

mmm dat 4k stream.

false, prices will go up because of this. they are dropping because no body is buy them. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/