[Build Log] Azure Redux by Maki Role - Did Somebody say Aquaero 6? - Still on hiatus for a bit

Maki Role

2vbb.jpg

Hi all!

In addition to Loramentum, I'd like to share with you my latest project. I recently had the pleasure of winning a Coolermaster Cosmos SE in the Minimalistic PC Modding Competition. I've always wanted to use a Cosmos case, but never really had the means nor need. But with my current rig now needing a service (had my loops running for almost exactly a year now) there couldn't be a better time to make the switch.

Since I haven't introduced my current rig to this forum before, here are a few of the finished pictures from last year:

2ypg.jpg

w233.jpg

65qv.jpg

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz 1.38V
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws Z 1866MHz
GPUs: 2x Gainward GTX Titan 6GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200 (bit overkill I know, left over from a previous build)
Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 120GB OCZ Agility 3 (due for retirement)
Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Cooling:

CPU Block: Koolance CPU 370
GPU Blocks: 2x EK GTX Titan XXL editions
Pumps: 2x Laing DDC1T
Reservoirs: 2x EK DDC X-Res 140
Radiators: 360mm + 240mm + 120mm Alphacool NexXxos XT45,
Tubing: Acrylic from a local supplier and Masterkleer Clear for flexi sections
Fittings: Lots and lots of Bitspower plus some Alphacool
Fans: 6x Scythe Gentle Typhoon
Coolant: Mayhem's Pastel Ice White + Mayhem's X1 UV Blue

So what's the Plan?

Well I'd like to stick with the idea of white and blue. This time, however, given the style of the case, I'm going with a classic automotive look. I'll likely be opting for metallic white panels with blue metal flake detailing, I'm thinking of having the handles chromed too with other similar accents around the case. I'll definitely be sticking with dual loops (because they're awesome, efficiency be damned) and rigid tubing, just need to decide how I'll manage the smaller quantity of space.

I'll try to see if I can get some progress pictures up on the weekend where hopefully I can start things. To tide you over 'til then though, here are some pics of the case itself.

o82q.jpg

8cka.jpg

udj2.jpg

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Looks like it'll be cool. Subbed.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

looks good but i do not see why you went with the cosmos, i liked the last year photo with the mods you did on the case

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

very nice.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Thanks guys!  Should be a fun mini project, not doing any big CAD for this one so it's more the traditional follow the progress deal.

looks good but i do not see why you went with the cosmos, i liked the last year photo with the mods you did on the case

I won the case in a competition, so this mod is largely just for the hell of it.  I've been meaning to take apart my current setup for a while to clean it out etc. and also redistribute the radiators.  Currently I have 480mm for the Titans in their loop, which is way too much as they simply sip power. I'd rather drop to 360 for the CPU and 360 for the GPUs to add some more OC headroom, my GPUs don't overclock for jack so it would be better spent on the CPU.  Since I was going to be doing such a big job anyway, I figured I may as well switch cases whilst I'm at it for something new.

Thanks guys!  Should be a fun mini project, not doing any big CAD for this one so it's more the traditional follow the progress deal.

I won the case in a competition, so this mod is largely just for the hell of it.  I've been meaning to take apart my current setup for a while to clean it out etc. and also redistribute the radiators.  Currently I have 480mm for the Titans in their loop, which is way too much as they simply sip power. I'd rather drop to 360 for the CPU and 360 for the GPUs to add some more OC headroom, my GPUs don't overclock for jack so it would be better spent on the CPU.  Since I was going to be doing such a big job anyway, I figured I may as well switch cases whilst I'm at it for something new.

ok that makes more sense now cant wait to see more, subbed!

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

ew nzxt plastic case :L

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

subbed! :D your mods inspire me  ^_^

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

ew nzxt plastic case :L

Having built in both a Phantom 820 and an original Phantom, I found them to be very well made and sturdy cases.  The plastic actually looks and feels very good in person, plus I like how they're not simply boxes (looking at you Corsair Obsidian series and every Caselabs offering)

subbed! :D your mods inspire me  ^_^

Cheers man, means a lot to hear that!

UPDATE

So I got to work "destroying" the case today.  Will be doing a lot of stripping, painting and polishing to this baby.  I'm also probably going to construct a new interior front panel from scratch.

All stripped bare

aa0c.jpg

This took a surprising amount of effort.  Will have to make a new wall most likely.
zr0j.jpg

So much stuff came out...  
iv5f.jpg

Coolermaster really didn't want this part to come out, so many rivets.
36rb.jpg

New toy for dealing with all the lurvely powder coating.  Thanks Andy and Crapman for the tip!
mjfw.jpg

Popped it into the pillar drill instead, made the whole process so much simpler.
zfox.jpg

Getting there, need to do a hell of a lot of sanding to get them to the finish I want though.
32b0.jpg

Looks interesting. Can't wait for Loramentum though!  :P

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

This looks interesting. Why ditch the Phantom?

I didn't know you could buy steel wool for a drill! I bought a grinder that still left some powder coat on some side panels. I'm too lazy to redo the paint job because it isn't half bad but that's a great idea. Great build so far.

Looks interesting. Can't wait for Loramentum though!  :P

Don't worry, I'm only going to be doing this one when I can't work on Loramentum.  The two projects should sit pretty well next to each other in my schedule :)

This looks interesting. Why ditch the Phantom?

I just wanted a change really.  The Phantom is rather humungous (well, for me it is at least) so isn't so great for lugging around.  It's also simply more interesting I find working in a smaller enclosure, means you have to be more creative.  I'm not a fan of these massive Caselabs builds because frankly, they're a little easy.  You can fit pretty much anything you could ever want and then some in an STH10, they just look sad and empty with a normal system inside in my opinion.  I'll no doubt reuse the Phantom later one though, maybe turn it into a cabinet for screw/fitting storage or a fridge rofl.

I didn't know you could buy steel wool for a drill! I bought a grinder that still left some powder coat on some side panels. I'm too lazy to redo the paint job because it isn't half bad but that's a great idea. Great build so far.

It's actually a solid silicon carbide disc, I thought it was spongey too when I first saw pictures of them.  I would definitely recommend picking one up, they just eat through paint like Kobayashi.  Best bit is that it simply fits into a normal drill chuck, which is rather handy.

So I received this in the post yesterday:

mfbj.jpg

n83f.jpg

5sfz.jpg

I've wanted to do a mod using an Aquaero for ages, I finally decided to bite the bullet this time though.  Should help everything to remain as quiet as possible completely autonomously.  I wasn't too happy when I sprung a leak last summer during a freakishly hot day combined with a game that taxed my PC 100% for hours thanks to a bug.  Had I been using one of these it simply would have ramped everything up for me.

As for actual progress, I'm currently stuck sanding the bars.  It's a surprisingly large job to get them fully buffed up, still most of the legwork is done on that front, just need to progress through the finer grits now.

As for Loramentum, stay tuned as there's loads of exciting stuff around the corner!

• 3 months later...

@Kittke Not at all, in fact I picked up a new radiator for this build the other day.  The issue is that this is my main rig that I use for all CAD work etc. so I can only take it apart and work on things once I know I can afford to have the downtime.  Unfortunately that means I can't really do anything until Loramentum's CAD work is done and dusted.  I will, however, definitely be finishing this as I haven't got much of a choice.  My current rig has been running for over a year now and is overdue maintenance, so I was planning on combining the two.

To whet your appetite though, I've decided that I'll be going with nickel plated copper tubing rather than acrylic.  I may also be stepping down to a single loop for greater efficiency, it also frees up a pump (or two if I switch to a D5) for some side projects I'm thinking of.

• 1 month later...

Well we're waiting. :/

I mean it's not as if I'm busy with another project or anything...

Although it might please you to know I did actually sit down and make some progress with this build today. Not anything worth taking pictures of mind, but it's a start. Turns out I underestimated the amount of work that would be required to get the case to fit everything in the way I want. It seems I'm pretty much taking the whole thing apart and rebuilding it from scratch again. Soon though I won't be needing my main rig for a while, so I'll take it all apart and get this going. The radiator mounts are proving particularly challenging thanks to the handle placements.

I mean it's not as if I'm busy with another project or anything...

Although it might please you to know I did actually sit down and make some progress with this build today. Not anything worth taking pictures of mind, but it's a start. Turns out I underestimated the amount of work that would be required to get the case to fit everything in the way I want. It seems I'm pretty much taking the whole thing apart and rebuilding it from scratch again. Soon though I won't be needing my main rig for a while, so I'll take it all apart and get this going. The radiator mounts are proving particularly challenging thanks to the handle placements.

I didn't mean to be rude, sorry. D:

• 3 weeks later...

"Meh i don't like those boxy corsair and caselabs cases" *strips everything off of his cosmos that keeps it from being boxy*

lol just messing with ya ;) i'm really excited about loramentum, so when i saw you were doing another build i couldn't resist to press that follow button :)

My Build log of the Satan's Cave PC Desk Project is starting to get in action! Come check it out if you feel like it  :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...