Build Update Log

starwarsguy99

Hello all,

Today, I will be upgrading my PC. I personally think these are some quite important upgrades.

First here are my specs, I will then list the new parts and why I chose them.

Current Specs:

Intel Core i5-4670k

Asus ROG Maximus Hero VI

Corsair Dominator Pro 8GB (4x2)

PowerColor PCS+ R9 270x

Toshiba 500gb 5,400rpm HDD 

Corsair CS650 PSU

CoolerMaster TPC612

CoolerMaster HAF 912 Adv.

So the big question is, what am I upgrading?

Here are the new parts:

PowerColor TurboDuo R9 285

Plextor M6 Pro 256gb

Western Digital Blue 1TB

So, why am I upgrading?

Simple, the Toshiba HDD I have is currently over three years old, and it is really slow, it takes over two minutes to get to the log in screen on windows, and it takes even longer to open programs on the desktop.

And what about the Graphics cards? Thats barely an upgrade right? Is that worth the money to upgrade?

Nope as the R9 285 has a two frame advantage over the R9 270x, but heres the twist.

I won the R9 285 in a PowerColor giveaway in January.

And It just arrived two days ago. 

Now Its time to Upgrade, I'll post pictures of my progress soon.

Lets take a look at the new parts

First the PowerColor TurboDuo R9 285

IMG 0492

This card has two fans and an open cooling design.  It has a cool colour scheme which should match the one in my current system. 

IMG 0493

The one thing I really dislike about this card is there is no backplate, even the R9 270x has one. This is quite a let down.

IMG 0495

Here is a close up on the "DoubleBlades" fans on the card, each fan blade has a large blade, and a smaller one on it.

IMG 0494

Here is a shot of the back of the card, you can see the heatsink it quite big. 

Now a look at the storage,

IMG 0498

This is the Plextor M6 Pro, it does look quite fancy in its brushed gold look, this should make my overall experience on my computer way faster and funner. Currently I cloned my old HDD on to it, but I will most probably upgrade it to windows 10, as I already did with my HDD.

IMG 0500

This is the Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD. This will be used to store documents, my youtube videos and some games that I dont play often enough to qualify for my SSD.

IMG 0502

Here is a size comparison between the two storage drives. 

The next part will have some pictures of my system before upgrade and of the parts I will remove.

Building Time!!

IMG 0506

IMG 0507

IMG 0510

Here are a few shots of my PC, the cooler and the "top section" and the graphics card.

IMG 0511

IMG 0513

Here is a comparison between the two graphics cards. 
The R9 270x is longer than the R9 285 and it also is quite a bit heavier, 
Its cooler also seems to be made of a thicker metal.
Both the cards have different colours, the R9 270x is a grayish-black and red while the R9 285 is black and red.

IMG 0515

Here is the HDD with the screwless mounting system installed, it is basically two rails with wheels that slide in to the HDD Cage

IMG 0517

Surprisingly the HAF 912 comes with a dedicated SSD cage that can hold two SSDs, but it sadly is not screwless. 

IMG 0520

Here is a final picture of the PC with all its new components installed. Spot the differences?

Lets hope it posts!

Whooo it worked!!

Now I just need to download my games again and lets hope for the best!

I really doubt there will be much of a performance increase graphics wise, but wow my boot time went from 5+ mins to 7 seconds, I could not be more pleased!

• 2 months later...

Whooo it worked!!

Now I just need to download my games again and lets hope for the best!

I really doubt there will be much of a performance increase graphics wise, but wow my boot time went from 5+ mins to 7 seconds, I could not be more pleased!

Why did no one like this?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC