Local Co-op Pc Games

Nuds

So in the latest Wan show Linus was talking about local co-op and local multiplayer on pc and how hard it is to find games that support these features. I was thinking we could make a quick list of games that are local co-op on PC as kind of a quick look up for users.

Keep suggestions in the realm of local (on one machine, not LAN) multiplayer.

So here are some games I'm aware of:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - (4 player with full controller support, split screen) - Good cart racing style game that features online and local play.

Example:

Risk of Rain - (4 player (mod up more if you want) with partial controller support, same screen) - An action platformer roguelike that is very challenging but fun.

Example:

Serious Sam 3: BFE - (2 player, possibly more, full controller support, split screen) - classic Fps style game.

Example:

Audiosurf – (2 player co-op, same keyboard or full controller support) – Featured game mode that has 2 ships on the same track. Builds tracks based on the music picked from your personal library.

Example:

Split/Second - (2 player, split screen, possible controller support) – Arcade style racing game (think burnout series) features level destruction as the race progresses

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dePZCEx82o

Portal 2 – (2 player co-op campaign, extra maps through workshop, split screen support, full controller support) – Fps puzzle with an emphasis on collaboration with the other player.

Castle Crashers – (4 player same screen co-op, full controller support) – beat em up with a cartoon aesthetic.

Example:

Hammerwatch – (4 player same screen co-op, partial controller support) – Dungeon crawler with multiple classes.

Example:

Trine – (3 player, same screen co-op, partial controller support) – side scrolling puzzle platformer

Example:

Trine 2 - (3 player, same screen co-op, partial controller support) – side scrolling puzzle platformer 2

Example:

A Virus Named Tom – (4 player, same screen co-op, full controller support) – classic real time puzzle game

Example:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King – (2 or more player, same screen co-op, possible controller support) – oldie but similar to golden axe

Example:

Guacamelee – (2 player, same screen co-op, full controller support) – Metoid-vania style action-platformer with a luchador aesthetic.

Example:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Ua9-f-y-Y

Dungeon Defenders – (4 player, split-screen co-op, partial controller support) – tower defense mixed with horde mode as far as I can tell – similar to orcs must die if I am not mistaken.

Example:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7Oumb6-AU

Magicka – (4 player, same screen co-op, full controller support) – “A satirical action-adventure game based around Norse mythology.”

Example:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CaVckqwjQY

Side note: I figured out how to search local co-op in the steam store but I still want to do this list because it will be faster and include games outside of steam. 

Edit: added games that were suggested and checked out, also added videos of the game so you can see for yourself what the multiplayer experience is like, I know there is more games and I will add them when I can.

Split Second

Portal 2

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Castle Crashers

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. A bit difficult to get working properly, and isn't really optimized for modern systems, but goodness gracious it's fun

Killing Floor