The gaming benefits of 16 GB RAM are still small.

minervx
9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But that's without running a game....

I mean, I am running things you would never run at the same time as an example, but you can even play games, Overwatch runs fine on 95% RAM usage, and a bit compressed as it seems to me, but runs without any hiccups. I assume windows and Chrome put stuff hibernation mode. Mind you, nothing was closed. I could fire actually something more intensive but you get my picture. I usually have most of these stuff open when I play games, no issues whatsoever. 

image.thumb.png.39db4940b14383b554b1cb1e3671d86e.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

19 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Explains why I have 19 chrome tabs open atm (it's a miracle) on 8GB of RAM and it's running somewhat smoothly then..

Screenshot_14.png(that language is norwegian btw, i set my pc language to norwegian to help me learn it. kinda like learning from a dictionary)

You must be fun at Norwegian parties.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

You must be fun at Norwegian parties.  

Lol :) 

(There are legit reasons why I'm learning it though trust me)

It depends.

It will depend on the game you are playing. You'd actually be surprised how well some 'AAA' games run with only 8GB of RAM. For example, Deus Ex Mankind Divided will run fine with 8GB of RAM. On the other hand, GTA V will run like shit with only 8GB of RAM and 16GB is required for a smooth experience.

If you're doing a budget gaming PC where you have $400 to spend, grab a 2200G + 8GB (2x4GB) 3000MHz of RAM. You should be fine most of the time, but there will be situations where you will run in to memory issues. That's just a sacrifice you have to make when building a budget PC and you need to adjust your expectations to what the system is capable of accordingly.

If you're building a mid level gaming machine, say a Ryzen 2600/i5 8400 with a RX580/1060 6GB (or anything above that), then you should be budgeting for 16GB of RAM.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I mean, I am running things you would never run at the same time as an example, but you can even play games, Overwatch runs fine on 95% RAM usage, and a bit compressed as it seems to me, but runs without any hiccups. I assume windows and Chrome put stuff hibernation mode. Mind you, nothing was closed. I could fire actually something more intensive but you get my picture. I usually have most of these stuff open when I play games, no issues whatsoever. 

I don't think you understand.

It only shows 95% because if it reached 100 then the computer would crash.

It's at 95 because it's moved other stuff to the page file.

Either the other programs or your game will get reduced performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Lol :) 

(There are legit reasons why I'm learning it though trust me)

I don't doubt it.  I would just love to be a fly on the wall when you apply all you've learned from Windows.  It reminds of:

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I don't doubt it.  I would just love to be a fly on the wall when you apply all you've learned from Windows.  It reminds of:

Lmao, that put a massive smile on my face. Windows isn't the only way I'm learning, I'm just using it so I don't forget the whole language.. 

Just now, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand.

It only shows 95% because if it reached 100 then the computer would crash.

It's at 95 because it's moved other stuff to the page file.

Either the other programs or your game will get reduced performance.

I know it would crash. I've had the pleasure to experience that due to other programs with memory leaks, most recently MBAM and Firefox.

My game worked fine, and you can see that the other programs got reduced RAM usage, so they are being the ones taking the hit. My point is, everything still works on 8 GB RAM and always has as far as I can remember. We are still not at the era where we can't live on 8GB, even when hard multi tasking. 16 GB is so much nicer, but far from it being the necessity. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I know it would crash. I've had the pleasure to experience that due to other programs with memory leaks, most recently MBAM and Firefox.

My game worked fine, and you can see that the other programs got reduced RAM usage, so they are being the ones taking the hit. My point is, everything still works on 8 GB RAM and always has as far as I can remember. We are still not at the era where we can't live on 8GB, even when hard multi tasking. 16 GB is so much nicer, but far from it being the necessity. 

It is necessary if you don't want stuff getting put into page file.

Just like an SSD is necessary if you want a computer that isn't a potato.

Yes you can live with a potato if you want but that's your fault for not investing in something that can handle your workloads properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020