Deciding to buy a computer. Help!

Hey guys, I need help with deciding whether to buy a 3K$ PC or Mac. Obviously specs for the PC are better, but I very much like Final Cut Pro vs Premiere pro. Should I buy a lesser Mac just for FCP? Or should I get a better PC? Please let me know! Specs are in the photos. Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.31.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.31.50 PM.png

Alternatively, you could buy a $2000 PC and a $1000 Mac Mini.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Omg that PC is beautiful...

Definitely the PC

Haha thanks.. But I have a PC rn.. and for some reason I still prefer editing on my macbook pro.. Does that mean anything?

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Alternatively, you could buy a $2000 PC and a $1000 Mac Mini.

What do you mean by that.

5 minutes ago, fpic said:

Hey guys, I need help with deciding whether to buy a 3K$ PC or Mac. Obviously specs for the PC are better, but I very much like Final Cut Pro vs Premiere pro. Should I buy a lesser Mac just for FCP? Or should I get a better PC? Please let me know! Specs are in the photos. Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.31.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 6.31.50 PM.png

If your main user is editing and you prefer final cut then MacOS is the way to go. That doesn't have to mean the mac though. 

You may be able to get MacOS on PC. 

https://hackintosh.com

Check compatability first though. 

Just now, fpic said:

What do you mean by that.

Unless you're 100% confident that you're going to be utilizing that 8 core CPU, either go with a cheaper Ryzen 8 core, or a 6 core. Buy a cheaper RAM Kit. If you're not big into gaming, the 2080 isn't a good deal. You can also save money by going with a 1TB 860 EVO instead of a 970 Evo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

FYI you can save $130 by dropping down the to 650W Seasonic Focus PSU or 750W Focus Plus PSU. Don't need 1000W for a single graphics card.

Obviously the PC will be better since with the iMac you're only getting a 7th gen 4c/4t i5 CPU vs the 9th gen 8c/8t i7 CPU with the PC, as well as the RTX 2080 being a much more capable GPU than the RX 580. With the PC you could also look at Ryzen 2700x which is 8c/16t which will be useful for video editing and be under $3k.

Spoiler

image.png.57fb549694645b54ee8fc225d93b6edf.png

19 minutes ago, fpic said:

Haha thanks.. But I have a PC rn.. and for some reason I still prefer editing on my macbook pro.. Does that mean anything?

As you've mentioned you prefer using the MacOS software, so it really comes down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for the Mac OS experience... In my opinion the drop to a 7th gen i5 4 core CPU is too big of a sacrifice, especially if you're video editing on it.

Edit: Worth considering that the iMac comes with the monitor built in, while the NZXT does not. You would need to buy a separate monitor, and for video editing I'd recommend a 4k IPS monitor if you don't already have one, so budget in an extra few hundred dollars for the monitor with the PC build.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The Polaris architecture is better supported for the Mac. 
So hackintosh would be a good bet. Dual boot a PC into hackintosh, 2 RX 590s in crossfire and custom build to probably save about $200 on RAM.

1 hour ago, Lil Ramen said:

Thanks so much for helping me with this.. But I think I prefer Nvidia over Radeon. Is that ok? Or should I be looking at for example radeon or ryzen? Do you think it would be good if I used a 1080 ti instead? its more pricey but my experience with Nvidia cards has been pretty good

12 minutes ago, fpic said:

Thanks so much for helping me with this.. But I think I prefer Nvidia over Radeon. Is that ok? Or should I be looking at for example radeon or ryzen? Do you think it would be good if I used a 1080 ti instead? its more pricey but my experience with Nvidia cards has been pretty good

Well the thing is, Polaris works flawlessly with MacOS right now. They added the RX 460 into the 2016 Macbook Pro enabling all RX 400 and RX 500 series GPUs to be essentially plug and play without having to get drivers from teh recesses of the internet. The two RX 590s in a hackintosh won't be too noticable compared to the RTX cards, but it will be cheaper and more compatible (also more vram if that matters anytime after 2008)

16 minutes ago, fpic said:

There is also the fact that RTX is a very slow launch it seems. It's just sluggish and poorly planned out. Apple could potentially take until next year to add any support at all for RTX, and even longer than that for hackintosh makers to get that version of MacOS into Hackintosh.