Nintendo Switch

lka
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

Switch is kind of bulky for handheld use and absolutely will require a carrying case if you plan to use it on the go. It's not like a New 3DS XL that you can just put in your pocket. But the screen is beautiful. I bought mine not expecting to use it much in handheld mode but after owning it for a couple of weeks I'd say I use it about 70% docked, 30% handheld. And I anticipate it would go more to 50/50 by spring when it's warm enough to play it in the shade outside.

Super Mario Odyssey alone is enough reason to buy a Switch IMO. After playing it for a couple of weeks I think it's the ninth game I have ever played (going back to the early 1980s) that I would rate a 10/10. One caveat about handheld mode though: there are parts of the game that work much better with the joycons split rather than together on the sides of the console or in the joycon grip. You can do a homing cap throw using motion controls with the joycons split that I don't think you can do with them connected to the Switch or the joycon grip. The homing cap throw is really useful in boss fights and in collecting a few hard to reach coins. So when I get to one of those two situations while playing handheld I play it in tablet mode so I can do the homing throw.

I wasn't nearly the fan of Breath of the Wild that the fawning gaming press was, but it's still a really unique game with what I consider the best open world exploration of any game ever made. It's the kind of game that really translates well to handheld mode since it can be pretty directionless and is fun to just screw around and explore. Kind of like how GTA V is at its best when you're not doing any story and are just starting firefights and police chases. BOTW is at its best when you're climbing mountains and trying to figure out how to get to all sorts of hard to reach spots, when you're trying to find ways up towers without tiring yourself out, and so on.

Even though I have Mario Kart 8 for Wii U (and it's great there) I'll probably buy it for Switch too since Mario Kart is another great series on the go. I have played so much Mario Kart 7 since buying a 3DS last year and know I will do the same with MK8. Another game worth checking out is Bayonetta 2 if you like fast paced action games. It sold like crap since no bought the Wii U and it was an exclusive; hopefully this great game sells a lot of copies now that it's on a system people really love.

I have a gaming PC and PS4 where I play basically all if my games,but I wonder is the new Nintendo Switch worth it.I can get it for 250$ and i want it so i can play games on the go,I dont care about docked mode.I want games like wolfenstein 2,doom,mario kart,super maruo odyssey,legend of zelda breath of the wild,snipper clips,fortnite.....

I am aware that many games do work in 30 fps but i think its not a big deal for handheld device.So is it worth it?

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I'd also suggest you play Splatoon 2 and Pokémon Let's Go!

I've got a Nintendo Switch and I love it ❤️

I will if I get the Switch,but I probably will cause its kinda cool in its own unique way.Thanks for reply?

I could argue with some of the specific things people have said here but I think it's better to play it a bit more objectively. So here's pointless forum graph showing the top 100 games based on Metacritic rating. Now of course the PS4 and XBOne have a deeper library of highly rated games, they've been out for quite a bit longer afterall. Even so it's pretty amazing how small that gap is after such a short period of time.
image.png.5bbbf30d52046de569111cd7219e38d1.png

If you buy a Switch you're getting a deeper library of quality titles than you would get if you brought a 3DS. Infact you get a similarly deep library to the 3DS and Wii U combined which shouldn't be too surprising given most of the Wii U's library has been ported to Switch. It's also close enough to the XBOne that, all things being equal, you'll get as much depth from the Switch's library if you do your research. Of course thats assuming you're not completely opposed to the kinds of games the Switch is attracting.

I'd also add that if you want a portable console or a console that caters to local multiplayer well? Get the Switch as there aren't really any other competitive options. If all you're after is a console for online competitive shooters then get a PS4 or, better yet, a decent PC. If you want something to hook upto your new HDR 4K TV I'd probably get an XBOne.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Switch is kind of bulky for handheld use and absolutely will require a carrying case if you plan to use it on the go. It's not like a New 3DS XL that you can just put in your pocket. But the screen is beautiful. I bought mine not expecting to use it much in handheld mode but after owning it for a couple of weeks I'd say I use it about 70% docked, 30% handheld. And I anticipate it would go more to 50/50 by spring when it's warm enough to play it in the shade outside.

Super Mario Odyssey alone is enough reason to buy a Switch IMO. After playing it for a couple of weeks I think it's the ninth game I have ever played (going back to the early 1980s) that I would rate a 10/10. One caveat about handheld mode though: there are parts of the game that work much better with the joycons split rather than together on the sides of the console or in the joycon grip. You can do a homing cap throw using motion controls with the joycons split that I don't think you can do with them connected to the Switch or the joycon grip. The homing cap throw is really useful in boss fights and in collecting a few hard to reach coins. So when I get to one of those two situations while playing handheld I play it in tablet mode so I can do the homing throw.

I wasn't nearly the fan of Breath of the Wild that the fawning gaming press was, but it's still a really unique game with what I consider the best open world exploration of any game ever made. It's the kind of game that really translates well to handheld mode since it can be pretty directionless and is fun to just screw around and explore. Kind of like how GTA V is at its best when you're not doing any story and are just starting firefights and police chases. BOTW is at its best when you're climbing mountains and trying to figure out how to get to all sorts of hard to reach spots, when you're trying to find ways up towers without tiring yourself out, and so on.

Even though I have Mario Kart 8 for Wii U (and it's great there) I'll probably buy it for Switch too since Mario Kart is another great series on the go. I have played so much Mario Kart 7 since buying a 3DS last year and know I will do the same with MK8. Another game worth checking out is Bayonetta 2 if you like fast paced action games. It sold like crap since no bought the Wii U and it was an exclusive; hopefully this great game sells a lot of copies now that it's on a system people really love.

12 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Thank you mate?