Connecting modem\router to another router

leftspeaker2000

Hello from Australia,

My ISP supplied me with a not so good DSL modem\router. I believe it is a Netgear but you cannot tell, its been branded with their logos and the firmware is completely custom. It has some functionality, but its not great and I don't trust it as a router.

So I tried to get the Modem/Router to act as just a modem and the R6300 ( which is running DD-WRT) to do all the routing.

Here is what I did. 

1.  R6300
    IP address: 10.1.1.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 10.1.1.1 
    DHCP Range:  starting at 10.1.1.4 (in case I connect more APs) 
  2. Modem/Router 
    Changed the IP address to 10.1.1.2
    Turned of DHCP 
    Switched it to bridge mode ( this disabled pretty much every setting but changing the IP address)
    Turned off WiFi
  3. I then connected the routers with a LAN cable (not crossover and not to the WAN port or anything) 

I thought it would work, but I could not get any internet. I could access both routers from the WiFi of the R6300 but no internet.. 

I have attached a picture of the settings from the R6300 but I forgot to take a picture of the modem\router when I had it set. I reverted back because I had no internet. I have attached a pic of the modem/routers LAN settings, though.  

Any help would be great. Networking drives me crazy !

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

The gateway is your ISP modem router, not your new one, and you also didn't specify any DNS servers. You can't browse any website without DNS servers set.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

22 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The gateway is your ISP modem router, not your new one, and you also didn't specify any DNS servers. You can't browse any website without DNS servers set.

Thank you for the reply !

So, on the DD-WRT router, I have to set the default gateway to 10.1.1.2 (IP of Modem/Router turned Modem) and then use google DNS 8.8.8.8 and  8.8.4.4. Do I have to go Lan port on Modem/Router to Wan port on DD-WRT. Or WAN To WAN ? 

If it was not 1am and the router was not in my housemates room, I would just try it ! 

Cheers !

15 minutes ago, leftspeaker2000 said:

Thank you for the reply !

So, on the DD-WRT router, I have to set the default gateway to 10.1.1.2 (IP of Modem/Router turned Modem) and then use google DNS 8.8.8.8 and  8.8.4.4. Do I have to go Lan port on Modem/Router to Wan port on DD-WRT. Or WAN To WAN ? 

If it was not 1am and the router was not in my housemates room, I would just try it ! 

Cheers !

Connect the modem and new router LAN to LAN. Use the modem as the gateway and use whatever DNS service you like.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Connect the modem and new router LAN to LAN. Use the modem as the gateway and use whatever DNS service you like.

I will give it ago tomorrow and see what happens ! 

IInet router by the looks of it?

Go into the ISP router and disable wireless. Then configure local network to bridge mode.

Then configure dd-wrt as pppoe router and plug the configured wan port into the ISP router.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.