[Scratch build] P S Y C H E D E L I C

1396164899_PsychedelicMK21w.heading.thumb.png.d87ab78a57232dce9fc135fb9d02595f.png

Like much else, psychedelics can be bad for both your health and your wallet.
I'm sorry to inform you that this one certainly will be both XDfor me xD

So BEHOLD, my dear reader, this sure is going to be a wild ride.

Specs:

• 5.505 liters in volume
  • Built in pump and reservoir combo
  • Full-size EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW
  • 2 custom distribution blocks
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
  • External 360mm (dual 180mm) radiator
  • 16 GB of G.skill Trident Z RGB
  • Custom modded Asus x470i motherboard
  • Samsung 512 GB 950 pro m.2 SSD
  • G-unique 450w power system

A little something about this project:

First off: Since I did the rendering, I've made a couple of changes. Most importantly that I'm no longer going to make a custom monoblock for the x470i. The reason comes down to two things: Time and money. Making a custom monoblock is a huge investment of both, so the monoblock mockup which you see in the rendering won't be a reality in the finalized project... At least not for now ;)

Another QUITE important thing which I'd like to say about this project is that it's built to compete in Dreamhack's Winter 2018 modding contest in sweden (a couple of hours from where I live in Copenhagen). I can't really brag about this yet, though, because Dreamhack hasn't sent out letters of confirmation about who the chosen master class contestants are to those very same people.

Enjoy!

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

Reserved

W H E N   T H E   W O R L D   I S   A G A I N S T   Y O U ,   B U I L D   C O M P U T E R S !

Updates updates!

And oh boy is this going to be one of the big ones.

I've been doing A LOT of work since I started the thread. Both more obvious things, but also a lot of stuff behind the scenes.

Last weekend, I took a trip down to my grandparents' house to get some work done in their shop. Mainly shortening screws and making a power button. There's a couple of reasons I chose to make the power button out of steel. One of the main reasons it to not waste any of my just-big-enough-chunk-of-aluminum-rod-to-construct-the-case-feet-out-of... Also, I'm not going to paint the feet of the case like I am with the power button, and aluminum doesn't rust like steel does, so making the power button out of steel to not waste any of the before mentioned aluminum rod made a lot of sence... Untill I discovered that I didn't have any more steel rod left and I had to turn the power button out of a solid cube of steel XD Oh well...

164st1I.jpg

Here's the steel cube mounted in my small hobby lathe.

pnmDsVK.jpg

And here it is again a couple of nerve wrecking minutes later. I don't have any carbide tooling for my lathe, so I'm sad to report the loss of a much appreciated member of my HSS turning tools. It turned out good, though :p?

nEDjOmw.jpg

3x3feW5.jpg

Some more work, and I was left with this. Pretty impressed by the finish these HSS tools left without active cooling!

Z6My0Sd.jpg

And now I have a power button! ? I painted it black with some matte black spray paint, but I don't have any pictures of that process. You'll just have to trust me on that one. ?XD

For the next part, It's onto shortening screws. This turned out to be a bigger challenge than I'd thought initially, because I soon realised that I couldn't just put a screw into the lathe and start turning away... *facepalm*... Some very significant part of a countersunk screw gets in the way of that XD?

This is the solution I came up with! (demonstrated with a very not countersunk screw).

M1wNVGx.jpg

2Rh8Jl6.jpg

vM8bpU0.jpg

U5utG22.jpg

AT0icKL.jpg

cKp0c5u.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with the way these screws turned out. Some of you may have a much smarter solution to the problem, but this was the best solution I could come up with at the moment.

Many hours later, this was the result:

kISe4G8.jpg

Now on to the CNC'ing!

The first part of this project actually came to be by 3D printing. This is the piece which I've done the absolute most work on. I had to have a threaded hole very close to the edge of the print, so I printed it with a small rectangle cut out in one corner, and made a fitting replacement out of aluminum:

oTKbbAD.jpg

This is the result of the 3D printed part with the aluminum thingie glued on. Now on to spray painting it!

1 hour later

That actually went pretty well! I didn't sand it down to a smooth finish, and therefore, I didn't expect a smooth finish after spraypainted... I don't think you can say I was suprised when it came out like this... ? Oh well, It's more than good enough for a piece which isn't going to be seen.

xyF2pzC.jpg

Here are all the 3D printed parts laying on my table.

6BVFhW6.jpg

Don't you think we're done with the CNC'ing though. Now it's on to laser cutting!

The main frame of the radiator tower with the dual 180mm rad inside is going to be made of 1.2mm steel sheet metal. Thanks to the fablab at Roskilde University in Denmark, I was able to laser cut these sheets as well as both all of the cosmetic and structural acrylic pieces for the radiator tower.

What you see in this picture is the progress of the project to this day. I've gotten the Walnut for the wooden details on the case, the two big sheets of Acetal to make the bottom of each distribution plate have arrived, and mixed in with them are all the progress shown in this update. Something to be noted is that the first bit of milling in this project has occured! It's the very bottom right piece of acrylic. What you're seeing is the pump/res distrubution plate top which sits next to the motherboard.

fAr8nOW.jpg

Oh yeah... This also arrived XD?

B5DlDyD.jpg

Best regards,
Matias "rosinbole" Petersen.

I have a question... How much £ if I wanted one? However, it's looking great so far, wish there were other cases and solutions like this on the market that wasn't stupidly expensive. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

9 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

I have a question... How much £ if I wanted one? However, it's looking great so far, wish there were other cases and solutions like this on the market that wasn't stupidly expensive. 

Well... Ehm... ?

First off, thank you so much for the compliment!

I'm not done with the excel arc yet, but it's NOT cheap. We're probably talking hundreds of USD lol... I'll update this message once I'm done with the calculations.

Another thing is that this case is custom built to house an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW card with a heatkiller IV waterblock on it. No other cards except for the 1070 version with the same waterblock will fit.

• 3 weeks later...