Smart status Bad

Snifferdog3
2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Power down the system and unplug the HDD. Take it out of the PC as it's useless at this point.

Is this the only storage drive in the system?

It's just booted finally! It popped up scanning and repairing drive j (that's the broken drive) there could still be hope for it.... also No I have 4 HDDs including the broken one.

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Power down the system and unplug the HDD. Take it out of the PC as it's useless at this point.

Is this the only storage drive in the system?

Crystal disk info opened. It reads the name and stuff but it's condition just says unknown and is grayed out.

15 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

It's just booted finally! It popped up scanning and repairing drive j (that's the broken drive) there could still be hope for it.... also No I have 4 HDDs including the broken one.

No. It's a mechanical failure. You can hear it failing in the audio clip you posted. There's no way to fix it with software. 

At best, if you're very lucky, it might work just well and long enough for you to copy a few important files off it... But ultimately it has failed and your only option is replacing it.

Remove it from the system and just use the other drives. 

What model numbers for the other drives in the system? Were they bought used off eBay as well?

If your other drives are as old as this one you should seriously consider replacing them as well.

Brand New 1TB HDDs start at about $45.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q3Z2FT/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezrz

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/44Gj4D/seagate-barracuda-1tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm010

2TB HDDs start at about $60

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bskwrH/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd20ezrz

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Here is some audio of it rn. It's making the same noises in a loop. Sounds like the read head skipping back and forth to me. It's dead :(Voice 004.m4a

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No. It's a mechanical failure. You can hear it failing in the audio clip you posted. There's no way to fix it with software. 

At best, if you're very lucky, it might work just well and long enough for you to copy a few important files off it... But ultimately it has failed and your only option is replacing it.

Remove it from the system and just use the other drives. 

What model numbers for the other drives in the system? Were they bought used off eBay as well?

If your other drives are as old as this one you should seriously consider replacing them as well.

Brand New 1TB HDDs start at about $45.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q3Z2FT/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezrz

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/44Gj4D/seagate-barracuda-1tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm010

2TB HDDs start at about $60

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bskwrH/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd20ezrz

My other ones can be found in my profile. They came when I brought the system off someone ages ago. Yes they need replacing but they don't have too important stuff on. J had all my pictures and videos.

6 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

My other ones can be found in my profile. They came when I brought the system off someone ages ago. Yes they need replacing but they don't have too important stuff on. J had all my pictures and videos.

Storage
1x Samsung SP2004C 200GB, 1x Western Digital WD3200AAKS-00SBA0 300GB, 1x Wester Digital WD5000AADS-00M2BO 500GB 1x SeaGate ST3400832A 400GB

They're all more than a decade old. They all need to be replaced ASAP!

Buy one of the 2tb HDDs that I linked to earlier for $60 and you will have more capacity on a single new HDD than on all of your old drives combined.

You were warned last month that your HDD was failing and that the data needed to be backed up and the drive replaced, but you ignored the warnings and now you've lost the data on the drive. If you don't want to lose the data on the other drives then you should replace them ASAP. It's not a matter of if those 10-15 year old HDDs will fail, but a matter of when.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

39 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Storage
1x Samsung SP2004C 200GB, 1x Western Digital WD3200AAKS-00SBA0 300GB, 1x Wester Digital WD5000AADS-00M2BO 500GB 1x SeaGate ST3400832A 400GB

Buy one of the 2tb HDDs that I linked to earlier for $60 and you will have more capacity on a single new HDD than on all of your old drives combined.

You were warned last month that your HDD was failing and that the data needed to be backed up and the drive replaced, but you ignored the warnings and now you've lost the data on the drive. If you don't want to lose the data on the other drives then you should replace them ASAP. It's not a matter of if those 10-15 year old HDDs will fail, but a matter of when.

ok.

There is one website with recorded failing drives noises, it can be helpful for when you need to identify when drives need replacement, link below:

-Failing hard drive sounds - Datacent.com - Datacent

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Storage

My plan now is to get a 240GB SSD for the OS and then replace all 3 HDDs with a single 2TB HDD.

Sounds good! With high storage capacity drives available you don't really have to choose between performance or storage, just get the best offer that you can find...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

My plan now is to get a 240GB SSD for the OS and then replace all 3 HDDs with a single 2TB HDD.

You could consider getting two 2TB harddrives, and creating a 2TB mirrored storage space out of that. It will give you a little more redundancy since you will not have to restore backups if one of your hdd's fail. Although, only do this if your budget allows this. And remember, this would be a mirror, not a backup. It will only protect you from disc failure, not from virusses.

Just wandering if oc my CPU caused this? The pc crashed the day prior to this due to not enough vaultage. And when I rebooted it had messed up the boot order... I don't think so as my CPU temps are only 40°c underload with oc. but just a possibility...

• 1 month later...

Update time! And it's good news ;) ok so the HDD was plugged in with a ide cable. It was in a chain from the mobo to the optical drive then to the HDD. So when I removed the HDD as I thought it was broken I unplugged the whole cable as I didn't need the optical drive. It's been nearly 2 months now so I decided to try it... I plugged it in and put the ide cable from the mobo straight to the HDD a left the optical drive unplugged. Booted up... And it's there and there are no smart errors!!!??? I've backed up my photos and files on it but its still working fine! Checked crystal disk info and there is 1 ultra dma error, which is to do with the transfer of data from the HDD to the pc. I think it was just the cable this whole time!? Well it seems to be working fine now and that's all that matters... 

That's so weird! I love computers ?, movie files or music, things that can be recovered from the internet.