Smart status Bad

Snifferdog3

Hey all. My HDD has just started acting weird. Everything was fine untill the other day my pc crashed from oc. I rebooted it but it said please check boot device. So I went into bios and it had reset my boot order. So I changed it and everything was fine... The next day I went to reboot my pc after it had been on all morning and it popped up again same this... So I changed it back and continued. Then I noticed one of my HDD wasn't showing up on the os... It's appearing in the bios tho. So I checked to post message and it said HDD smart status: BAD. It's a newish HDD and it's been fine with no smart errors for as long as I've had it.. not sure if it's a false warning or what, but it's not appearing in my os. Please help!

1 minute ago, Snifferdog3 said:

it said HDD smart status: BAD. It's a newish HDD and it's been fine with no smart errors for as long as I've had it.. not sure if it's a false warning or what, but it's not appearing in my os. Please help!

Contact the manufacturer and RMA the drive. If possible, back up any data on the drive you want to keep by copying it to a different drive.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Please help!

Replace it immediately.

If SMART status says bad, it's bad and will die very soon.

You got backups, yes?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Ok I rebooted and it's appearing in the os. But it doesn't show the storage bar. I can't open crystal disk Info for some reason..... I'll keep trying 

Nope no backups....

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Replace it immediately.

You got backups, yes?

No back ups...

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Contact the manufacturer and RMA the drive. If possible, back up any data on the drive you want to keep by copying it to a different drive.

I'm trying to access it atm

3 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Ok I rebooted and it's appearing in the os. But it doesn't show the storage bar. I can't open crystal disk Info for some reason..... I'll keep trying 

Looks like it's dead. 

What model drive is it? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Also another bit of info is I uninstalled Seagate disk wizard (it's a Seagate HDD) so that might be related

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Looks like it's dead. 

What model drive is it? 

SeaGate ST3400832A 400GB

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Looks like it's dead. 

What model drive is it? 

It's the bios telling me it's bad as well not a program.

SeaGate ST3400832A 400GB

When did you buy it?

You'll need to contact Seagate support and go through the process of claiming warranty return on the drive. 

@seagate_surfer should be able to help you out with how to contact Seagate for warranty support.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

When did you buy it?

You'll need to contact Seagate support and go through the process of claiming warranty return on the drive. 

@seagate_surfer should be able to help you out with how to contact Seagate for warranty support.

Got it off eBay about a year ago... It's got less than 4000 hours on time. I have other HDDs with over 10000 hours and there fine...

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Replace it immediately.

You got backups, yes?

Actually I have had a WD RED going for 3 years reporting smart errors and it is still alive :) It is pretty weird since on all other tests besides SMART it passes with no errors.

Hi! @Snifferdog3 you can check your warranty through here: Warranty & Replacements | Seagate US

If you are still under warranty we can validate it and provide you with an RMA, feel free to post your question here also.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

9 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

Actually I have had a WD RED going for 3 years reporting smart errors and it is still alive :) It is pretty weird since on all other tests besides SMART it passes with no errors.

That's what I was hoping... But at the moment I can't even access the drive, it won't open....  For some reason my progress to check smart won't open and the file manager keeps crashing... It's not even my operating systems hdd...

13 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hi! @Snifferdog3 you can check your warranty through here: Warranty & Replacements | Seagate US

If you are still under warranty we can validate it and provide you with an RMA, feel free to post your question here also.

There is no way this drive has under 4000 hours on time!? It's warranty expired in 2010!

20181024_154613.thumb.png.ec8b61e837d863e7e7668eb9b83250db.png

So this drive has to be at least from 2009! That's almost 10 years old! No supprize it's giving me a smart error then! I'll see if I can get some stuff off it and I'll have to buy a new storage device. Think I'll get a ssd as I dont have one in this system... I'll update you if I have any more news :)

Also I made a post about the same Hdd a few months ago... Its always made this clicking noise since I got it about a year ago. It didn't sound like the click of death but it still could have been it.. here is the post: 

You can listen to the audio clip I attached.. that was when the pc was doing nothing too.

19 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Also I made a post about the same Hdd a few months ago... Its always made this clicking noise since I got it about a year ago. It didn't sound like the click of death but it still could have been it.. here is the post: 

That noise is definitely a failing HDD. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Everyone in that thread recommended you backup the data on the drive and replace it before it failed while you still had the opportunity. Now it has completely failed and that opportunity has passed. 

Bin it.

If there's any sensitive information on it then physically destroy the drive by drilling a hole through it (see YouTube video guides) or removing the casing and removing and hitting the platters with a hammer or such.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That noise is definitely a failing HDD. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Everyone in that thread recommended you backup the data on the drive and replace it before it failed while you still had the opportunity. Now it has completely failed and that opportunity has passed. 

Bin it.

If there's any sensitive information on it then physically destroy the drive by drilling a hole through it (see YouTube video guides) or removing the casing and removing and hitting the platters with a hammer or such.

Well I didn't have anything to back it up too..... My system won't even boot now. It keeps freezing before it gets to the log in screen.

Just now, Snifferdog3 said:

Well I didn't have anything to back it up too..... My system won't even boot now. It keeps freezing before it gets to the log in screen.

Power down the system and unplug the HDD. Take it out of the PC as it's useless at this point.

Is this the only storage drive in the system?