Lost RAM that no one seams to be able to Answer

Okay everyone, here is a hard hitting question that no one that I ask has found an answer for. In 2016 I bought a computer from Newegg. Attached is the computer I bought. It’s an ABS computer. Well after a year and a few months of having it my power supply randomly serged and Killed it’s self and the Motherboard. My friend who is a certified computer tech, and I replaced the power supply and motherboard. The power supply was a thermal take, and the motherboard is a ASUS. Well here’s where it gets tricky. We only removed 2 RAM sticks from the computer both RAM sticks only say 8 GB on their labels, Making 16 GB. The computer now only reads that there is 16 GB of RAM. How would a computer lose RAM, if both sticks are  present and working by only changing in the motherboard? This has been an issue that I have been trying to solve for the past 6-8 months now. Also I have asked Newegg for help on this and they have  suggested to Reset the CPU on the motherboard, testing the RAM Sticks one at a time to see if one has died, and that it’s possible that one of the RAM slots is bad. All of this was tested and everything works. Also Ninvida’s graphics card software tells system info, before it read 32 GB of RAM now it also displays 16 GB of RAM. This really is odd and the only thing I can come up with that doesn’t make seance is either RAM was built into the other motherboard or it had virtual RAM built into the bios... if anyone has  ever encountered this or has an idea feel free to post and answer.

Thanks

WolfAngel

DF078C19-34EE-4CA2-BEE9-84891A7FE0F3.png

the new mobo that you chose may only be able to run 32 at highest. My friend's pc I built him has a atx that runs 16 at highest over 4 slots. ddr4 btw. It may be a ram slot issue, and maybe 2 slots are defective. If it wont show In bois, likely the case if ram works, slots don't.

3 minutes ago, WolfAngel said:

virtual RAM built into the bios...

Only if you downloaded more ram

Are you sure the ram survived the power surge? Also, have you used task manager or BIOS to see what the ram is, not just Nvidia software?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Only if you downloaded more ram

Are you sure the ram survived the power surge? Also, have you used task manager or BIOS to see what the ram is, not just Nvidia software?

Knew I was going to get the Download more RAM joke lol, anyway yes we have used the  task manager, used bios, Ran a HWinfo report, and used the Run dxdiag, before it all happened and it showed that it had 32 GB of ram after it showed 16 GB. Also both sticks where tested in each slot one by one and both ran in every slot the other issue is we got the exact same motherboard. 

1 minute ago, WolfAngel said:

Knew I was going to get the Download more RAM joke lol, anyway yes we have used the  task manager, used bios, Ran a HWinfo report, and used the Run dxdiag, before it all happened and it showed that it had 32 GB of ram after it showed 16 GB. Also both sticks where tested in each slot one by one and both ran in every slot the other issue is we got the exact same motherboard. 

Have you done a BIOS update? There's also a chance the integrated memory controller in the CPU is damaged

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

you started with 32gb. You removed 16gb & now you have 16gb? I didn't follow the question

Nope started with only 2 sticks of RAM, computer came with 32 GB of RAM, Motherboard was killed by a  surfe from the power supply,  we replaced the motherboard and power supply now it only reads 16 GB. Both sticks work. How did I lose ram

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Have you done a BIOS update? There's also a chance the integrated memory controller in the CPU is damaged

Yes a BIOS update was done as soon as we got the new Motherboard. And it’s possible. But would it not cause the computer To bsod?

Just now, WolfAngel said:

Yes a BIOS update was done as soon as we got the new Motherboard. And it’s possible. But would it not cause the computer To bsod?

It's a similar problem to bad mounting pressure. Which reminds me, bad mounting pressure for the CPU cooler means some pins on the CPU might not be connected, and that impacts detection of memory channels

Primary PC:

You never had 32GB of RAM. They may have used software trickery to change values for your PC. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The other thing is Both Ram sticks read 8 GB not 16 GB we just went with the idea that the RAM was mislabeled and they are both 16 GB how else would it go from being a 32 GB of Ram system to 16 GB out of the blue? It makes no seance.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

You never had 32GB of RAM. They may have used software trickery to change values for your PC. 

Could be, but there is a noticeable  performance difference now.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It's a similar problem to bad mounting pressure. Which reminds me, bad mounting pressure for the CPU cooler means some pins on the CPU might not be connected, and that impacts detection of memory channels

That’s possible to, we may have to reset the cpu. Have to get that a try. 

12 minutes ago, WolfAngel said:

Nope started with only 2 sticks of RAM, computer came with 32 GB of RAM, Motherboard was killed by a  surfe from the power supply,  we replaced the motherboard and power supply now it only reads 16 GB. Both sticks work. How did I lose ram

okay you have 2 modules. each one was 8gb right? 2x8 = 16. The rest was probably virtual memory. You can allocate 16 more gb to give you 32, but it won't actually be 32gb. 

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

okay you have 2 modules. each one was 8gb right? 2x8 = 16. The rest was probably virtual memory. You can allocate 16 more gb to give you 32, but it won't actually be 32gb. 

Does that use the SSD as memory? I've never used virtual memory before, seems only practical when you need huge amounts of memory that doesn't need to be fast

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Does that use the SSD as memory? I've never used virtual memory before, seems only practical when you need huge amounts of memory that doesn't need to be fast

if you have an ssd, you can allocate it for virtual memory. You can also use mechanical drives if you like to suffer. Its pretty much never practical though

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

if you have an ssd, you can allocate it for virtual memory. You can also use mechanical drives if you like to suffer. Its pretty much never practical though

So, going off of the virtual memory, how would it of been lost? Being we never reformatted the computer, we replaced the motherboard with the excect same motherboard model that came with the pc so we would only have to put the motherboard back in, hook everything up to the motherboard and go. 

So, going off of the virtual memory, how would it of been lost? Being we never reformatted the computer, we replaced the motherboard with the excect same motherboard model that came with the pc so we would only have to put the motherboard back in, hook everything up to the motherboard and go. 

Not entirely sure how the settings got lost, but swapping the motherboard has tons of variables that could explain it. It's easy enough to reallocate the memory though. A good 2-3 minute video on youtube will walk you through it. Just keep in mind, the computer won't perform like it has 32gb 

56 minutes ago, WolfAngel said:

We only removed 2 RAM sticks from the computer both RAM sticks only say 8 GB on their labels, Making 16 GB.

So... there are 2 sticks in the PC, each saying 8GB. SOlution: you have 16GB of RAM.

How would 2 sticks of 8 ever add up to 32GB?

The only thing that could have happened is the old motherboard had 16GB soldered onto the motherboard that you could not remove. This is definitely possible. So you lost 16GB by changing out motherboards to a motherboard that does not have soldered ram.

ALSO: The Newegg support team seems to be bulshitting you. ReSEATing the CPU (meaning taking it out and putting it back in) would not solve a RAM issue AFAIK. (there is no such this as resetting your CPU). Bad ram slots: NO, you have 2 sticks of 8 GB equaling 16GB, ram slots should be fine.

I'd talk to Newegg a little more firmly, as the ad for the item specifies 32GB DDR4 in the spec list and you only have 16GB of actual physical touchable RAM...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102254

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, WolfAngel said:

Well after a year and a few months of having it my power supply randomly serged and Killed it’s self and the Motherboard. My friend who is a certified computer tech, and I replaced the power supply and motherboard. The power supply was a thermal take, and the motherboard is a ASUS. Well here’s where it gets tricky. We only removed 2 RAM sticks from the computer both RAM sticks only say 8 GB on their labels, Making 16 GB. The computer now only reads that there is 16 GB of RAM. How would a computer lose RAM, if both sticks are  present and working by only changing in the motherboard

Are you sure your friend didn't steal the other 2x8gb sticks while he was working on your PC? It could have had 4x8gb sticks for 32gb and your friend just pocketed two of the sticks for himself when he was removing the old motherboard...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

57 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are you sure your friend didn't steal the other 2x8gb sticks while he was working on your PC? It could have had 4x8gb sticks for 32gb and your friend just pocketed two of the sticks for himself when he was removing the old motherboard...

Not to be a dick but you make a good point.   Rereading the OP, it states:

We only removed 2 RAM sticks from the computer both RAM sticks only say 8 GB on their labels, Making 16 GB.

Now if you ONLY removed 2 sticks, it alludes to there being MORE than 2 sticks in the system?  Were there 4 RAM sticks in the original build?  I mistakenly made an assumption that the OP would have known his RAM stick count and put them in the new motherboard but he didn't expressly say it like that.

So, again... how many sticks of RAM were in the original machine? 

Edit:  I can also read it that you only removed 2 sticks meaning that's all it had and you were adding emphasis on that.  *shrug*

Edit:  Nm, I saw he posted this:  "Nope started with only 2 sticks of RAM, computer came with 32 GB of RAM, Motherboard was killed by a  surfe from the power supply,  we replaced the motherboard and power supply now it only reads 16 GB. Both sticks work. How did I lose ram"

So yeah, either the motherboard had RAM on it built in or they somehow configured something to show 32GB RAM.  Talk to Newegg.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Get a pic of each ram module. Really easy to figure this out. If you actually have it, get a better bios. If that isn’t the fix, get a better board. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, WolfAngel said:

The other thing is Both Ram sticks read 8 GB not 16 GB we just went with the idea that the RAM was mislabeled and they are both 16 GB how else would it go from being a 32 GB of Ram system to 16 GB out of the blue? It makes no seance.

Wait a second!  So the stickers on each sticks states 8GB?

Can you post a pic of that?

That's the first time I've ever heard of stickers in RAM sticks not advertising their correct capacity. 

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

On 10/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, Spotty said:

I’m very sure he didn’t take the RAM sticks, as when we first opened the pc there were only 2 ram sticks in the system. We both assumed that the computer would of had 4 sticks of 8 gb of Ram, or because it has only two sticks that both sticks of Ram were 16 gb. I was there helping move the parts from the old motherboard to the new and as I handed him the Ram sticks and he was putting them in he noted that the sticks both say 8 gb and not 16 gb. We then were both saying how does it have 32 gb of ram if it only has 2 sticks of 8 gb. Another reason I know he didn’t take the RAM he had just got an  Origin PC that had come with 64 gb of RAM at least.