Just bought a Nintendo Switch! [Help / Tips]

K i a r a

Hey!

So, I have just bought a Switch from EB Games after doing the deal of [Trading in my PS4 and paying 150$ for a Nintendo Switch] I traded in my PS4 due to the fact I got it the first week of the PS4 coming out... and boy that thing was not that fast and also sounded like a Jett Engine when you tried to play anything..

But this is besides the point!

Looking for some ideas on what accessories or what not I should buy for it!

I currently have Mario Odyssey... and that is about it.

Would any of you recommend a Tempered Glass Screen Protector? (Cheaper the better Amazon.ca only!)

Looking for any kinda help! 

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

tempered glass screen? only if little kids will be playing with it or if you’re clumsy

i think fortnite is on switch.. idk if you’re into those kinds of games though

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

You need to get Mario Kart 8 and Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Also, a case for the switch is a good idea too; one of my friends has one, which makes it easy and safe to transport it

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Make sure you turn it on.

11 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i think fortnite is on switch.. idk if you’re into those kinds of games though

It is, but...ew.

OP, get Mario Kart.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

If you're going to throw it into bags and what not without a full case probably get a screen protector

Shoulda waited for the "New" swich that's likely coming, or just sold your PS4 to someone then bought a switch off ebay or something potentially.

Nintendo screws over third party docks seems like, probably just get one of the ethernet adapters so you don't have to play smash wirelessly?

you could try an SF30 Pro

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Recommend getting a micro sd card 128gb or higher.  Definitely recommend a 256gb. 

Games

Super Mario Party great multiplayer and even single player

Breath of the Wild (you already know about this one)

Smash 5 comes out December 7th

Doom (a great port of the FPS on PC, PS4, and Xbox One)

Fire Emblem Warriors/ Hyrule Warriors if you're into hack n slash

Octopath Traveler (best RPG out at the moment on the Switch)

Splatoon 2

7 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I sure hope someone tells nintendo what an M.2 SSD is for the next switch.
106268712_M_2SSD.thumb.jpg.7e05159e13f27eaf600120ec913b89b6.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 hours ago, K i a r a said:

And boy that thing was not that fast and also sounded like a Jet Engine when you tried to play anything...

Was it new? You must have gotten a duff unit...mine is an og PS4, never opened, and only one game makes it throttle up noticeably.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

4 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Was it new? You must have gotten a duff unit...mine is an og PS4, never opened, and only one game makes it throttle up noticeably.

I got it the first day it came out.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

13 hours ago, K i a r a said:

I got it the first day it came out.

Probably just needs a good dusting and a repaste then...

Mine is strange, it won't lift a finger at say GTA or Horizon, something taxing...but Life is Strange 2, it goes mental in short bursts. Not given me issue yet, but I may do some maintenance soon.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

On 10/14/2018 at 7:47 PM, K i a r a said:

Hey!

So, I have just bought a Switch from EB Games after doing the deal of [Trading in my PS4 and paying 150$ for a Nintendo Switch] I traded in my PS4 due to the fact I got it the first week of the PS4 coming out... and boy that thing was not that fast and also sounded like a Jett Engine when you tried to play anything..

Would any of you recommend a Tempered Glass Screen Protector? (Cheaper the better Amazon.ca only!)

Get a glass screen protector. I think think that it is most likely that Nintendo will do a refresh of the system like its portable systems, and a nice screen will help resale value, if you are interested in buying the newer model. Consider getting a carrying case if you plan to take with you to friends and stuff. But if you plan to just play at home, no need.

Unless you plan to have other players actively playing with the system, or you really can't stand the controller, not worth getting the Pro Controller (which is 80$ at Costco in Canada... you won't find cheaper, at least not new). I am fine with the 2x joy cons separated, one in each hands when I play on TV. But I got used to this layout fro the Wii days.  Anyway, try and see.

My recommendation for games (in no particular order, excludes indie games which are plenty on the system) are (beside Mario Odyssey, as you said you have it):

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild. What I like with this game, if you are low in time and want to finish it, the game can be done in several hours. But if you want to do all the shrines, and nearly all side quests, you can easily get over well over 200h out of it.
  • Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle. Surprisingly fun. But, do get it on special... probably this holiday it will be. The game lack polish sadly, that would be my biggest complaints, than the lack of proper camera controls (but that was done on purpose, just annoying at times), lacks mini maps, music gets repetitive towards the end of the game). But, it is a Ubisoft game not a Nintendo game. Still fun. I finished it. Has a nice amount of content.
  • L.A Noire, if you never played it
  • Octopath Traveler if you like RPG games (Demo is available)
  • Snipper Clip if you have a second player next to you (great party game)
  • Overcook 1 and/or 2 (do I need to say more, just watch the first 3-4 levels. The more you are, the funner it is. Overcook 2 has online play with friends)

If you never played the WiiU

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I am probably forgetting some

On 10/15/2018 at 7:47 AM, K i a r a said:

Hey!

You can consider buying a dongle or a modchip to it, so that you can play free games and use the external HDD with Switch.

I have a dock sock from etsy, a magic-ns & an 8bit do adapter to use ps3/ps4/Xbox/!wiiu controllers

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Just got one myself. Man this is a badass system. I'm loving the motion controls and haptic feedback from the joycons in Super Mario Odyssey so far.

Congrats!

Some advice:

• Forget the stupid straps that comes with it. If you put wrong way on the joy cons, you are done for. You'll be able to slide them out with force, but the joycons will no longer hold as well as they did before on the system, until you replace the, now, damaged latch system in the controller. The better news, if it happens to you, is that you can find replacement ones for cheap from Aliexpress and other similar sites, and even metal ones. But I would just suggest to keep them in the box. They make the joy cons a bit better to hold if you have larger hands, but the shoulder buttons becomes mushy like a shitty third party controller, as it is a system of a button pressing on another button. And no, you can check YouTube, there is no way to "get it out" from the wrong position without causing damage to some level. Do it a few times, then the joy cons will really not hold on the system.

• When you go in System Settings panel, if you go down to Controllers and Sensor, if you go all the down down, you'll find "Update Controllers", this will update the controllers firmware to ensure you have the best experience.

• If volume is low, then you have "Lower Max Headphone Volume" option enabled. You can disable it under Settings > System

• If you are looking for a microSD card, you don't need to get fancy super fast ones, you'll be paying for nothing as the console doesn't support them. That said, don't get the ultra crappy ones either... Like some microSDXC UHS-I U1 Class 10 A1 (maaan SD cards codes are such a complication... I say they should add another one to clarify all this mess. Brilliant!) are plenty fine.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:13 PM, GoodBytes said:

Congrats!

Some advice:

• Forget the stupid straps that comes with it. If you put wrong way on the joy cons, you are done for. You'll be able to slide them out with force, but the joycons will no longer hold as well as they did before on the system, until you replace the, now, damaged latch system in the controller. The better news, if it happens to you, is that you can find replacement ones for cheap from Aliexpress and other similar sites, and even metal ones. But I would just suggest to keep them in the box. They make the joy cons a bit better to hold if you have larger hands, but the shoulder buttons becomes mushy like a shitty third party controller, as it is a system of a button pressing on another button. And no, you can check YouTube, there is no way to "get it out" from the wrong position without causing damage to some level. Do it a few times, then the joy cons will really not hold on the system.

• When you go in System Settings panel, if you go down to Controllers and Sensor, if you go all the down down, you'll find "Update Controllers", this will update the controllers firmware to ensure you have the best experience.

• If volume is low, then you have "Lower Max Headphone Volume" option enabled. You can disable it under Settings > System

• If you are looking for a microSD card, you don't need to get fancy super fast ones, you'll be paying for nothing as the console doesn't support them. That said, don't get the ultra crappy ones either... Like some microSDXC UHS-I U1 Class 10 A1 (maaan SD cards codes are such a complication... I say they should add another one to clarify all this mess. Brilliant!) are plenty fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the wrist straps. I don't use them since the joy cons are pretty easy to hold on to and I'm not playing Mario Party kind of games where I might have to be moving them like crazy. That looked like such a bad design I didn't even want to bother. Never knew you could update the firmware for the joycons. I have a spare 64GB Class 10 A1 Sandisk microSD card that I'll probably use, though I expect to buy mostly physical. I don't imagine that 25GB of free space on the built in storage will last long with updates and DLC, but hopefully that 64 GB will be enough. Does it do like the PS Vita-2000 and ignore the built-in internal storage when you add a memory card though?

I didn't buy any games yet since Black Friday deals are coming, so I'm just borrowing Super Mario Odyssey from my brother and then I'll buy a copy BF week. I know I'll be playing that game a while because I'm a nut for completion in open world games like that. I already like it enough to put Red Dead Redemption 2 on the top of my backlog. Odyssey is just as mind-blowing as Super Mario Galaxy was back on the Wii ten years ago. Nintendo really took some chances with this game and they paid off big.

I definitely want to pick up Sonic Mania Plus; I have an 8BitDo bluetooth mod for an original 6-button Genesis controller, so playing a modern Sonic with that controller should be amazing (the controller is supposed to work great on Switch).

I'm also pretty excited to see Vs Super Mario Bros on the eShop (and for only $7.99) since I never had an NES growing up and the arcade version is the one I grew up playing. That's a definite buy. I gotta go on the eShop and see what other oldschool arcade games they have.

Other games I'll probably pick up right away are BOTW and Octopath Traveler. I already put 130 hours into BOTW on Wii U but it seems a good match for handheld gaming since so much of the game is just exploration and screwing around. Maybe Mega Man 11 and Bloodstained too, and Fire Emblem Three Houses is another game I'm looking forward to. Though the game I'm really dying to see released is Shin Megami Tensei V. God I wish we'd hear something about that already. Bravely too since I loved the series on 3DS.