Is a Tier 3 PSU 'not good enough' for 2080 Ti + 9900K

MaximumSid

So due to some oversight, I got the Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 80 Plus Bronze for my upcoming 2080 Ti + 9900K + A lot of RGB build. I could easily go with the CM's Tier 1 V series (80 Plus Gold), but I didn't properly check the reviews.

But now I keep seeing how reviewers are saying that this MasterWatt PSU is good for a secondary computer but not for your primary setup, or that you'd get a higher end one for a higher end system.

I've been reading people criticizing the use of Taepo capacitors in this PSU instead of the Japanese or better brands of capacitors.

I will be doing video editing and gaming on this PC.

Since I can't return it now, my question is:

1. Ignoring the efficiency, is there anything 'wrong' or even 'unideal' with this PSU choice?

2. Would this PSU be 'unreliable' for my PC? Are there any 'risks' associated with using a lower tier PSU? (btw it has a 5 year warranty)

3. Would it be a good idea to buy a new PSU, and find some other use for this MasterWatt PSU? (keeping in mind that I'd prefer not spending more money)

Thanks.

You should NEVER cheap out on a PSU for a system like that. Go get a tier 1 PSU, make it last a while and have 1 less thing to worry about. If you were worried about not spending more money you wouldnt be buying a 9900k, 2080ti and RGB crap. 

If you cant return it, then I wouldnt bother worrying about this. that PSU will be good enough

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

3 minutes ago, MaximumSid said:

So due to some oversight, I got the Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 80 Plus Bronze for my upcoming 2080 Ti + 9900K + A lot of RGB build. I could easily go with the CM's Tier 1 V series (80 Plus Gold), but I didn't properly check the reviews.

But now I keep seeing how reviewers are saying that this MasterWatt PSU is good for a secondary computer but not for your primary setup, or that you'd get a higher end one for a higher end system.

I've been reading people criticizing the use of Taepo capacitors in this PSU instead of the Japanese or better brands of capacitors.

I will be doing video editing and gaming on this PC.

Since I can't return it now, my question is:

1. Ignoring the efficiency, is there anything 'wrong' or even 'unideal' with this PSU choice?

2. Would this PSU be 'unreliable' for my PC? Are there any 'risks' associated with using a lower tier PSU? (btw it has a 5 year warranty)

3. Would it be a good idea to buy a new PSU, and find some other use for this MasterWatt PSU? (keeping in mind that I'd prefer not spending more money)

Thanks.

Eh, it's fine. The most important parts are A) it has the capacity, and B) it's made by a reputable company, it meets both of those criteria, so, I say just roll with it. The only ways I see it hurting you is A) noise, and B) electricity costs, if that does not concern you, then you should be fine.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You should NEVER cheap out on a PSU for a system like that. Go get a tier 1 PSU, make it last a while and have 1 less thing to worry about. If you were worried about not spending more money you wouldnt be buying a 9900k, 2080ti and RGB crap. 

Well he didn't buy some cheap unknown Chinese brand so he should be fine, if all he wants is a working overpowered system. He should be fine. It still has 80+ Bronze, 750 watts of capacity, and is sold by Cooler Master. Once again he should be fine. Sure he will  lose out on some bragging rights, silence, and some power cost, but otherwise he should be fine.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Thanks for the replies guys. The only concern for me is the safety of these expensive components, I don't care if the PSU itself doesn't last long (I'll get a new one), and heat, power, and silence are also not a concern. I understand that better capacitors are theoretically more reliable, but is there any objective reason for this PSU to be 'risky' for my MoBo/CPU/GPU in any way? These components will be pushed to their limits frequently while gaming with my 4K monitors, though I already have a 100w overhead from nVidia's recommended 650 watt power recommendation for 2080 Ti.

Okay guys, so I decided to go for a better PSU, most probably the Corsair RM750x or HX750i (few choices are 'In Stock' in India). I realized that even though the MasterWatt would've been 'fine enough', it may not be worth not getting a better PSU in a build where I've spent more on RGB fans. The bigger reason was that every reviewer said that the MasterWatt was a pretty 'meh' and was a very 'budget solution'. Besides, I could use the MasterWatt in my old i7 6700 GTX 1070 build which is currently running on a Corsair VS550 PSU, which is also considered to be a pretty bad PSU, even though I haven't had any issues with that.

Thank you for the responses.

Just an update for anyone in the same situation as me.

I went with RM 850x, which will take some time to arrive, meanwhile since the 2080 Ti had arrived, I thought I could at least safely test it with the MasterWatt. I played Crysis 3 maxed out at 4K (got ~40 fps), so on load, the masterwatt started making a horrible coil whine. I recorded the video and contacted Amazon, and told them that this item was defective, so they agreed to take it back and refund the amount.

So lesson learned, really don't cheap out on PSU, I wasn't expecting this from something having a Cooler Master name on it. Really not worth risking your expensive components. Maybe some other 80 Plus bronze PSU would've been fine, but really not worth taking chances.

6 hours ago, MaximumSid said:

I went with RM 850x, which will take some time to arrive, meanwhile since the 2080 Ti had arrived, I thought I could at least safely test it with the MasterWatt. I played Crysis 3 maxed out at 4K (got ~40 fps), so on load, the masterwatt started making a horrible coil whine. I recorded the video and contacted Amazon, and told them that this item was defective, so they agreed to take it back and refund the amount.

So lesson learned, really don't cheap out on PSU, I wasn't expecting this from something having a Cooler Master name on it. Really not worth risking your expensive components. Maybe some other 80 Plus bronze PSU would've been fine, but really not worth taking chances.

Honestly other than the coil whine you could have just rolled with it, it is a quality PSU that could have lasted a long time.

5 hours ago, MaximumSid said:

it sucks that your masterwatt was defective(kind of not really) but this isnt indicative of it being a cheap psu issue or not, its not like you killed your components with a name brand psu and posts like this just make the waters even more muddy than it needs to be
your masterwatt would have been fine and outside of the coil whine it powered your system and wouldnt have caused an issue if said coil whine didnt exist

fact of the matter is as long as you get a name brand psu with the appropriate wattage for your system you will be fine because you have a name brand company standing behind their product, its not like you bought a coolmax 1000w psu and it burnt out your system , sorry but you kind of blew this out of the water

Well yeah, I guess I overreacted. Everything did seem to work fine except for the coil whine. But it was a very serious level of coil whine, there are videos on Amazon and youtube of the coil whine with masterwatt series, it is a common issue with this line, it was so loud that it you could still hear it if you have music being played on low volume.

The 'risking' other components part was unfair (although that's what a lot of people talked about when in comes to > Tier 2 PSUs), but I was really surprised to find an issue like this in a cooler master product (haven't had coil whine with any other PSU), especially since their other products are really good. A VS series PSU that my friend has also had its fan making noise, and this one also had serious level coil whine issues, so that's why I said that it's not worth bothering with these units for a higher end system.