What is real output of a 500w psu ?

Hiten Das

What does the watt rating of a psu mean?

If it is rated for 500 watt, does it mean that it will give output of 500w and suck 600w from wall (80% efficient psu) ?

Or, it means that it will give output of 400w and will suck 500w from the wall (80% efficient psu) ?

One Yotuber made me confused.

Please help me!

6 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

If it is rated for 500 watt, does it mean that it will give output of 500w and suck 600w from wall (80% efficient psu) ?

Or, it means that it will give output of 400w and will suck 500w from the wall (80% efficient psu) ?

Please help me!

To keep it simple, if a PSU is 85% efficient across all power loads, and it is rated for 500W continuous...

The power supply is able to output 500W, but it pulls ~580W from the wall socket to be able to do that.

The 80W is lost as heat, noise, etc...PSU waste.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

If it's 500W, it will be able to deliver 500W to the computer. (Unless it's some really cheap grey-metal type, then divide it by about 3 to get the actual rating). That means it will pull 600W from the wall if it's 80% efficient.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

The rating is output power.

Except cheap chinese PSUs that have ratings like 4x more than they can actually do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The rating is for what it can deliver to the internal components*.  It will draw more than that from the wall. 

*In theory.  In reality, fantastic units can survive delivering more than they claim, and crappy ones won't even get close to what they say.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Opencircuit74 said:

If it's 500W, it will be able to deliver 500W to the computer. (Unless it's some really cheap grey-metal type, then divide it by about 3 to get the actual rating).

You do know that the casing is not the main component of a PSU? Presence of coating on it is not a measure of PSU's quality.

6 hours ago, Granular said:

You do know that the casing is not the main component of a PSU? Presence of coating on it is not a measure of PSU's quality.

He told this because, all good psu is made by big companies and the also take care about the look of the psu. that's why the paint the psu with attractive color. and, the psu which come under 10$ usually come without any color or paint on the psu case. sometimes not even the brand name is mentioned on the psu case.

6 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

He told this because, all good psu is made by big companies and the also take care about the look of the psu. that's why the paint the psu with attractive color. and, the psu which come under 10$ usually come without any color or paint on the psu case. sometimes not even the brand name is mentioned on the psu case.

All PSUs are made by big companies and then coating is put on those targeted at markets where looks matter.

Just because a PSU in a prebuilt or a server doesn't have powder coating on it, doesn't matter that it's crap.

2 hours ago, Hiten Das said:

That it can output 500W as PSU are mostly rated for continuous output power.

the first, not the latter.

And some PSU Manufacturers are very clear about it...

Youtube is for entertainment, not Information.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

My Corsair AX860i for example seems to have the over current protection set to 110% of the rate power. So it can actually deliver over 900 W.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

5 hours ago, Tam3n said:

My Corsair AX860i for example seems to have the over current protection set to 110% of the rate power. So it can actually deliver over 900 W.

Ditto.

Some higher-end PSUs can actually output more power, but are rated a bit lower.

@Hiten Das

Big companies also make lower grade power supplies....

• Corsair VS series
  • CoolerMaster ElitePower
  • EVGA N1 or W1 series

Just because it they painted black ...or whatever colour, does not 100% mean it is better.

Some server grade PSUs are just the unpainted grey metal, but are tough as nails, and are rated for 24/7 non-stop use.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Youtube is for entertainment, not Information.

Emm there are some good channels out there (gamers nexus, AHOC, hardware unboxed)

So it's ok to watch youtube, but not for power supplies.

15 hours ago, Hiten Das said:

Please help me!

The third post on this category (80+) explains it very well,

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
removed stolen content

32 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

The third post on this category (80+) explains it very well,

Please do not just copy-paste an entire article into your own post.  If you have something of someone else's to share, quote and/or link it only.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Please do not just copy-paste an entire article into your own post.  If you have something of someone else's to share, quote and/or link it only.

but then people don't even want to search where the info is, someone is always going to complain anyway

3 hours ago, 17030644 said:

Emm there are some good channels out there (gamers nexus, AHOC, hardware unboxed)

So it's ok to watch youtube, but not for power supplies.

Exactly, wich is why I said that its for entertainment, not education.

There are some decent channels (L1 Tech), but for that you need to be competent to know that they are competent.

Without being competent, you can't distinguish the incompetent from the competent....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, Tam3n said:

not reccommended though.

BTW imo AXi under 1200W is the same as HXi

34 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Exactly, wich is why I said that its for entertainment, not education.

There are some decent channels (L1 Tech), but for that you need to be competent to know that they are competent.

Without being competent, you can't distinguish the incompetent from the competent....

Yea but they are youtubers and they have more than 100k subs so their opinion is worth more than yours I know it stinks hard