iPhone Xs/Max bags the top ratings from DisplayMate, DxOMark, Anandtech for Display, Camera and Silicon

RedRound2
2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Is $150 premium for something that used to come at effectively as a yearly free upgrade, justifiable? I mean even Apple is did the same where they justified maybe a $100-$200 price bump for the iPhone X but instead took it upto $999.

I think the main difference is that the iPhone X was a major design overhaul from any iPhone prior to even the fundamental way to operate it. It was also seen as the anniversary device for the iPhone's 10th anniversary. So while I still think $999 is way too expensive, it does at least have something to stand on. 

Pixel, however, has a pretty checkered history. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

28 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

So while I still think $999 is way too expensive, it does at least have something to stand on. 

Also keep in mind most people, Americans at least, pay for their phones monthly or have “iPhone Forever” programs.

So while the phone is expensive, you can pay ~$84 a month and pay it off in 12 months and that isn’t too bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also keep in mind most people, Americans at least, pay for their phones monthly or have “iPhone Forever” programs.

So while the phone is expensive, you can pay ~$84 a month and pay it off in 12 months and that isn’t too bad. 

For context, on Project Fi google offers a payment plan of $33~/m for a Pixel 3 (799) 0% interest on a 2 year plan. you can pay off the phone at any time.

I used that service on my Pixel XL when i got it 2 years ago.

They also offer trade in programs for old phones when you upgrade. When the pixel 2 release I could of got $400~ credit to trade in on a Pixel XL

Spoiler

image.png.0ce89ae4b5893cd0bc97b1a8651815b7.png

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, wasab said:

True flagships do not run ios which is a close walled software delimiting to the potential of the hardwares. 

Uh, have you seen what Android is becoming? 

• dm-verity 
  • Verified boot 
  • The inability to downgrade if your phone runs Oreo 
  • Some manufacturers like Huawei refusing to allow you to unlock their bootloaders now. 

Android is slowly becoming a walled garden. It's no longer the really tweakable OS it once was. 

At least Samsung still makes the phones I want. Too bad they're the only one in the Android space that does so now, where there used to be 5 or more. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, wasab said:

i can port the lastest android p to a phone from the 2014. can you do that? 

custom roms is a thing but of course you do not know that because you do not know how to use technologies. 

True flagships do not run ios which is a close walled software delimiting to the potential of the hardwares. 

The ability to ''hack' an operating system into unsupported old devices is nice, but it isn't an excuse for a poor official support policy.  Most people don't know how to install ROMs, don't want to install ROMs, and should never have to know how to install ROMs.

Also, flagships run whatever damn software their creators see fit.  It's about practical freedom, not theoretical freedom.  You can stay at home tinkering with ROMs and launchers; I'm going to head out with my iPhone and get work done, go on dates and enjoy life.

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You can stay at home tinkering with ROMs and launchers; I'm going to head out with my iPhone and get work done, go on dates and enjoy life.

I'm just going to use my phone as I personally like. 

Which, to be frank, is just as a smartphone and occasionally a notepad 

40 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Uh, have you seen what Android is becoming? 

• dm-verity 
  • Verified boot 
  • The inability to downgrade if your phone runs Oreo 
  • Some manufacturers like Huawei refusing to allow you to unlock their bootloaders now. 

Android is slowly becoming a walled garden. It's no longer the really tweakable OS it once was. 

At least Samsung still makes the phones I want. Too bad they're the only one in the Android space that does so now, where there used to be 5 or more. 

Just pick an Android with open bootloader. Unlike iOS,  you get CHOICES on Android and the fact that it's underlying code is open sourced and can be temper with and modded by entities other than profit seeking companies means you always will have a choice. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

Just pick an Android with open bootloader. Unlike iOS,  you get CHOICES on Android and the fact that it's underlying code is open sourced and can be temper with and modded by entities other than profit seeking companies means you always will have a choice. 

Yeah, too bad there aren't a whole lot right now, especially ones with the hardware choices I want. 

You mentioned Android is about choice. That was the case not too long ago. But when every Android OEM that isn't Samsung is removing headphone jacks and adding notches for no discernible reason, my choice is effectively limited. 

I miss it when Android phones were distinct and different. Now they're all the same. 

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

It's OLED btw. Not LCD. Says alot about your credibility, to make such statements, there itself

And somehow Apple's iPhone Xs beat the Note9 is the display department.

Samsung does make the best screens, but Apple has much better software for suited for that screen they make that makes it better than the Note9. Same thing is the case with their processors.

Yeah? can you prove to me Samsung doesn't make the best LCD?  

Heck no, iPhone true tone is nothing amazing. I actually was gifted an iPhone x by my parents before I got rid of it and brought an Android. Display is nothing special. It just makes the screen look like Amazon Kindle. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

Yeah? can you prove to me Samsung doesn't make the best LCD?  

Again, phone LCDs. Samsung doesn't make LCD panels for phones, at least for flagships. They only do so for TVs and computer monitors, which are an entirely different topic altogether. 

LG does do mobile LCDs though 

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yeah, too bad there aren't a whole lot right now, especially ones with the hardware choices I want. 

You mentioned Android is about choice. That was the case not too long ago. But when every Android OEM that isn't Samsung is removing headphone jacks and adding notches for no discernible reason, my choice is effectively limited. 

What are you talking about? There are still plenty phones with headphone jacks. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

What are you talking about? There are still plenty phones with headphone jacks. 

Not high-end ones 

My choices in the high-end spectrum is pretty much just Samsung and LG

And since I won't buy a phone from Loop Good, that just leaves Samsung 

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Again, phone LCDs. Samsung doesn't make LCD panels for phones, at least for flagships. They only do so for TVs and computer monitors, which are an entirely different topic altogether. 

LG does do mobile LCDs though 

Who bloody make their LCD then?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

LG and Japan Display for god's sake. How many times has he told you this.

Samsung makes OLED

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

LG and Japan Display. 

Samsung supplies the OLED panels for the iPhone X and XS though LG is likely to be their second one 

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

LG and Japan Display. 

Simple. Prove to me these two do not make the best LCD then. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

LG and Japan Display for god's sake. How many times has he told you this.

Samsung makes OLED

Oh no. Samsung make screens of all shapes and sizes so you are wrong. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Not high-end ones 

My choices in the high-end spectrum is pretty much just Samsung and LG

And since I won't buy a phone from Loop Good, that just leaves Samsung 

WRONG. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/6/8/17424792/phone-headphone-jack-3-5mm-buy-list

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Simple. Prove to me these two do not make the best LCD then. 

LG makes pretty good LCDs for phones. While their own phones have panels marred by bad calibration, the ones used on other phones, notably iPhones, are actually really good. 

I don't have much experience with Japan Display but LG LCDs on phones are pretty good 

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

*face-palms*

I said high-end 

The only ones on the list that fit the definition are the Galaxy S9/Note9, LG G7/V40 and OnePlus 6 of which its successor will ditch it 

You're only reinforcing the argument 

Just now, wasab said:

Oh no. Samsung make screens of all shapes and sizes so you are wrong. 

For the iPhone. Samsung makes OLED display for the iPhone while LG and Japan Display makes the LCD screens for Apple including iPad, iPhone, MacBook, etc.

2 hours ago, wasab said:

i can port the lastest android p to a phone from the 2014.

Are you sure? Aren't older devices incompatible with the vulkan based gui? I mean, I guess you could if by "port" you mean retrofitting it to the old opengl libraries, but...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Are you sure? Aren't older devices incompatible with the vulkan based gui? I mean, I guess you could if by "port" you mean retrofitting it to the old opengl libraries, but...

Just the OS no

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

For the iPhone. Samsung makes OLED display for the iPhone while LG and Japan Display makes the LCD screens for Apple including iPad, iPhone, MacBook, etc.

Who cares? Samsung make LCDs. Apple make nothing except their SoCs and OS. 

Sudo make me a sandwich