Asus Strix x99 GAMINGGGGGG

I7-6800k

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000mix

Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce x2 in SLI

EVGA G2 1000w PSU

Samsung 970 Pro M.2 500gig

4TB Western Digital Red

NZXT Kraken 62

So here is the story. Lately, my pc had been running a little hot. I had not cleaned it out in about 6 months and I figured I would take this opportunity to reapply thermal paste. So I took everything apart and reassembled it. Turned it on and it wasn't posting. I figured it was just taking a minute since I moved everything around. The power was on, fans were spinning, just no pussy. This system had been finicky since I built it. Then it just shut off. I did everything I knew to diagnose it. Went down to 1 ram sick, changed those all around, reseated the CPU and heat sink, cleared cmos, took out the ssd and hdd, took a GPU and power supply I knew was working and hooked it up to the motherboard. No fan spin, no nothing. Just a little red led labled pwr at the bottom of the board flashing. Even with the new power supply. Granted, it was a 550 watt, but that should be enough to post a 6800k and a gtx 1050ti. 

Hope was waneing and I decided to give it one last try with 1 sick ram, gtx1050ti, fan plugged into the CPU slot with the kraken mounted. Took the 550watt psu, hooked the 24pin connector and the 8 pin above the north bridge and left the 4 pin off for now. I had left the 4pin cable plugged into the psu and just kinda hanging out on the table next to the case. Flicked the power to the psu on and nothing happened, initially. Just the flashing red led. About 10 seconds after I clicked the power on I heard a sizzle coming from the disconnected 4+4 cable at the point where they split followed by a pop and a puff of smoke. I immediately shut power to the psu off. 

So I figure, the 4+4 pin cable sorted out potentially sending a lot of excess wattage to the CPU and potentially frying my board. Working on an sending an rma to see what I can do. In the mean time, I'll probably pick up a 2200g and a b350 board and cry over my lost hardware ? and nearly $1000 ?

6 minutes ago, computerdaddy said:

So I figure, the 4+4 pin cable sorted out potentially sending a lot of excess wattage to the CPU

That's not how electricity works.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

13 minutes ago, computerdaddy said:

So I figure, the 4+4 pin cable sorted out potentially sending a lot of excess wattage to the CPU and potentially frying my board

There is no such thing as excess wattage. You probably mean you connected the wrong 4pin connector. Or a 12v cable to a 5v port(or the other way around)

15 minutes ago, computerdaddy said:

I had left the 4pin cable plugged into the psu and just kinda hanging out on the table next to the case. Flicked the power to the psu on and nothing happened, initially. Just the flashing red led. About 10 seconds after I clicked the power on I heard a sizzle coming from the disconnected 4+4 cable at the point where they split followed by a pop and a puff of smoke

Do you mean the cable melted? In that case you might be lucky and it's the cable/psu that's broken. Can you investigate more on the cable? Pics?

smile achieved for the day.  Thanks.

Sorry to hear that a bunch of shit is probably dead now.   do you have any other spare parts to test any of it on? 

Either way that is painful.   but not much the Forums can do since you said you already tested the system on the 2nd psu and neither was posting so  your problem exists at the base level of cpu/mobo/psu   one of those was causing you not to post.   What caused your psu to do its thing i dont know.

31 minutes ago, computerdaddy said:

The power was on, fans were spinning, just no pussy.

Looks like autocorrect didn't like POST and ratted you out.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Argh damn you auto correct!! Never should have added that word to the library xD Anyways, replace it with post*

Nah nothing melted. This psu came with 2 8 pin cables that are 4+4 because, as you probably know, there is a 4 pin and  an 8 pin connector on the top of the mobo. I also tried the 550watt psu with the 4 pin connector in and the 8 pin cable previously, but I thought that the unit could post author that 4 pin connected. I'll probably try again when I get home from work, just to soothe my sanity.

32 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Can you investigate more on the cable? Pics?

Yea, that's a good idea. I'll take down the insulation and look and update tonight after work. Update with pics.

3 hours ago, computerdaddy said:

Yea, that's a good idea. I'll take down the insulation and look and update tonight after work. Update with pics.

it will be hard to tell, at the mobo connector level if the plug is black if there was shorting and electrical burns, i recommend the sniff test for magic smoke.   but how sure are you that you plugged the  psu end into the right socket?

in my experience totally modular PSU  they only color label the PCIE cords  (but customs things could be made)

4 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

it will be hard to tell, at the mobo connector level if the plug is black if there was shorting and electrical burns, i recommend the sniff test for magic smoke.   but how sure are you that you plugged the  psu end into the right socket?

in my experience totally modular PSU  they only color label the PCIE cords  (but customs things could be made)

This is the picture of the end that popped and smoked. It's hard to see but there is a little exposed wiring and the wire to the capacitor was melted to the heat shrunk wrapping. 

Neo-revo the cables from that EVGA psu have marked where they go on the plastic connector. ie CPU, motherboard, SATA, etc. 

Thanks for the help guys, ASUS is going to rma the board.

Screenshot_20181008-210013_Gallery.jpg

cable defect with the PSU then.

Good to know about cables, just ordered a 1600w gold since it dropped in price for whatever reason with prime.so at least i know that now ahead of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for completeness sake, ASUS sent me a new board today. All in all the turn around in the repair was like 6 days including shipping back and forth and a weekend. All in all, I'm very pleased with Asus's RMA process. Quick turn around is nice, good communication. Would RMA again.

18 minutes ago, computerdaddy said:

Just for completeness sake, ASUS sent me a new board today. All in all the turn around in the repair was like 6 days including shipping back and forth and a weekend. All in all, I'm very pleased with Asus's RMA process. Quick turn around is nice, good communication. Would RMA again.

You should also reach out to Evga about getting the PSU and/or cables RMA'd. They should be more than happy to get that done in a quickness. Hell if you can show their PSU killed other hardware they are good enough they would have probably replaced it too.