Volume Leveling for the WAN Show.

Penny K

Its 1am, I'm catching up on things and the WAN show is one of them.

Certain hosts (Not Naming any one, or 2, in particular), have a propensity to laugh, shout and blat into the microphone.

My 3 year old woke up, and my pc is on the other side of the house.

Get a volume leveling app installed please.

2018-10-08_011950.jpg

If your 3 year old woke up while you were watching something at 1am it was probably because you had the volume up too loud.

There's no such thing as a "volume leveling app", any such post processing would cause audio desynchronization which would be far more irritating than an occasional loud noise, which also happens on TV btw.

Have you considered headphones?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Penny K said:

I'm actually reiterating a point Linus made in an earlier broadcast ........

I think Linus was talking about a microphone compressor which would help kill some of the loud noises however those are not software based, it's a hardware device that connects to the microphone. Compressors also have other side effects too though.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 minutes ago, Penny K said:

Its 1am, .... My 3 year old woke up,

i dont have a 3 year old in the house, but i do have the courtesy of wearing headphones at 1AM.

your point of the wan show audio stands, but if you're a regular watcher of the show, you know what you're in for, and you act accordingly.

Turn on "Loudness Equalization" in Sound Properties for your desired output device. Right-click the speaker icon > Open Sound Settings > Sound Control Panel (text link at the upper right) > select the desired output device > click Properties > click Enhancements tab > scroll down and it is at the bottom of the list, put a checkmark and click OK.

1 hour ago, Patrick3D said:

Turn on "Loudness Equalization" in Sound Properties for your desired output device. Right-click the speaker icon > Open Sound Settings > Sound Control Panel (text link at the upper right) > select the desired output device > click Properties > click Enhancements tab > scroll down and it is at the bottom of the list, put a checkmark and click OK.

Only one problem, a microphone is an input device.

They have all the equipment they need to set it up right, they just seem incapable of solving the problem or dont realize the problem exists. It's not as bad as it was, but I've literally bitched about it for almost 5 years and at this point I've given up hope of them learning how to do this right. They've had different people take care of it, they had scarlet show up and give them equipment to do it, I've just accepted it's not gonna happen.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

i'm taking a wild guess he's proposing that to OP.

works surprisingly well i have to say.. comes to think, may go enable that on my media center pc.

14 hours ago, Penny K said:

Get a volume leveling app installed please.

The same goes for you :P  Really, you can do it yourself on content you watch.  Honestly from personal experience I'd recommend it

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

There's no such thing as a "volume leveling app",

There is, it's called a compressor.  It's been a staple in the audio industry forever.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I face palmed so hard I almost got a contusion. 

Unless something changed recently, they have over complicated setup for WAN show (there was a video 1+ years ago). If I remember correctly 2 Focusrite interfaces (1 is enough), dynamic processor (compressor) and some other stuff. Basically having a compressor and interface should be enough for audio side of the WAN show, however it seems that they don't know how to set it up. There is another Youtube channel and it is not uncommon that hosts is angrily shouting, but there are no sudden loudness issues. BTW it is pro audio related channel and the host is an audio engineer who knows his sh*t.

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

They have audio setup and 0 people who know how to operate it. Do your math and get headphones.

7 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

They have all the equipment they need to set it up right, they just seem incapable of solving the problem or dont realize the problem exists. It's not as bad as it was, but I've literally bitched about it for almost 5 years and at this point I've given up hope of them learning how to do this right. They've had different people take care of it, they had scarlet show up and give them equipment to do it, I've just accepted it's not gonna happen.

9 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Unless something changed recently, they have over complicated setup for WAN show (there was a video 1+ years ago). If I remember correctly 2 Focusrite interfaces (1 is enough), dynamic processor (compressor) and some other stuff. Basically having a compressor and interface should be enough for audio side of the WAN show, however it seems that they don't know how to set it up. There is another Youtube channel and it is not uncommon that hosts is angrily shouting, but there are no sudden loudness issues. BTW it is pro audio related channel and the host is an audio engineer who knows his sh*t.

I hate to say it but you are all right.  From what I can recall, it sounded great after they had the pros in to setup a new system for them but it's just degraded from there and frankly it seems like they either don't have anyone on staff who actually knows how to set it up, or they just can't be bothered to spare them a moment to do so.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There is, it's called a compressor.  It's been a staple in the audio industry forever.

A compressor is hardware, AFAIK software compressors do not exist as any post processing of a live audio feed would cause audio video de sync. In the post below the one you quoted I covered this.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

i'm taking a wild guess he's proposing that to OP.

works surprisingly well i have to say.. comes to think, may go enable that on my media center pc.

Oh yeah, that's me being an idiot. I do have flu right now so my brain isn't working very well. Also why I'm awake at 4am.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

A compressor is hardware, AFAIK software compressors do not exist as any post processing of a live audio feed would cause audio video de sync. In the post below the one you quoted I covered this.

... I'm not sure where you heard this but it's total nonsense.  They do exist and they don't cause any desyncing issues

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

... I'm not sure where you heard this but it's total nonsense.  They do exist and they don't cause any desyncing issues

I think its something i heard from a Twitch streamer tbh, he's usually pretty good with hardware and software but I guess in this case he was wrong (or maybe deliberately lying?)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I think its something i heard from a Twitch streamer tbh, he's usually pretty good with hardware and software but I guess in this case he was wrong (or maybe deliberately lying?)

Perhaps just very confused?  I don't know.  One thing that a port-processes compressor can do that a live one cannot is "read ahead".  a live one can only react to events once they happen, but one done in post can preemptively adjust to sound "downstream" before it happens.  Considering all reactions regardless happen on the order of milliseconds I'm not sure how much this matters - I've never personally tried both to compare and I doubt it would be a big change - but that might be what he was thinking of.  Can't say for sure though.  It's certainly not something I've ever heard before, and it's something you can easily disprove even on your own with very little equipment or knowledge of audio processing.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I hate to say it but you are all right.  From what I can recall, it sounded great after they had the pros in to setup a new system for them but it's just degraded from there and frankly it seems like they either don't have anyone on staff who actually knows how to set it up, or they just can't be bothered to spare them a moment to do so.

Anthony has tried to keep it together. But with Linus bitching about it, and seemingly just not really caring...

I've been calling for live producer for years. While they don't hire anyone for single purpose, they are already expanding on streaming side anyway. So why not, and they could utilize that person's qualifications for other stuff too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv