Toys 'R' Us lenders cancel auction

AlexOak

TL;DR: Lender's want to revive Toys 'R' Us.

vwff1hbrynsqkmebuiht.jpg

Spoiler

The top lenders of Toys ‘R’ Us have decided to cancel the bankruptcy auction of its brand name and other intellectual property assets and instead plan to revive the Toys ‘R’ Us and Babies ‘R’ Us brand names, a court filing on Monday showed.

The bankrupt retailer’s debtors aim to open a new Toys ‘R’ Us and Babies ‘R’ Us branding company that maintains existing global license agreements and can invest and develop new retail shops.

The lenders also plan to expand its international presence and further develop its private brands business.

After seeing how investors have high hopes for this. I for a fact don't after seeing their decline in the recent years.

Reuters

Kotaku

Kind of interesting, but I fail to see how this is tech related.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Kind of interesting, but I fail to see how this is tech related.

Toys technology. 

I've been inside a toys r us like twice in my life, my mom always said it was too expensive. So I guess I don't have a connection with the store so I don't care if it comes back or not.

1 hour ago, EPENEX said:

I've been inside a toys r us like twice in my life, my mom always said it was too expensive. So I guess I don't have a connection with the store so I don't care if it comes back or not.

Yea they always seem to be marked up a bit higher. But you just don't get the same vibe when shopping for toys at a Walmart. Well.. shopping in Walmart in general just feels weird. There aren't many toy stores out there nowadays which is rather sad. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

toys r us was good in the fact that they had pretty much what you were looking for....problem was it was always higher priced {sometime really over priced} then anywhere else . that's what killed the store

People want to buy their kids video games, most kids now don’t want toys in the conventional sense. New generation.

Toys R Us are going the same way as Sky TV - old industries dying off.

As an adult Toys R Us is a bit lacking because I know they have to mark up to maintain the physical presence and stock in stores all around.

As a grand parent Toys R US RULES.   You ever bring a 4 year old grand kid you don't mind spoiling into a place like Toys R Us and just see their eyes light up?   It's like walking into a Microcenter after depositing your bonus check.  ;)  

I think Toys R us has a place in our commerce and in our collective consumer consciousnesses.  They just need to keep the number of stores down and make them more special.   Work with Lego, and Mattell and others to make them like mini toy malls.    I think that would be awesome.

They should just make it into an Online shop only, with maybe one or two small scale retail locations here and there as showrooms for the best products.

Retail simply cost too much money, it's also dying due to Amazon almost always offering better prices.

With an online store, they only need a warehouse or two and deals with shipping carriers to send products all over the country for cheap.

The only reason to go to a retail store today, is to get something in a hurry, because you can't be arsed to go through the online process or because you want to see/try something before buying it (in the case of clothes for example).

As far as toys go, as long as there's plenty of pictures of the item and a way to tell how big it is, there's no need to see it in person.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, Grimlakin said:

As an adult Toys R Us is a bit lacking because I know they have to mark up to maintain the physical presence and stock in stores all around.

As a grand parent Toys R US RULES.   You ever bring a 4 year old grand kid you don't mind spoiling into a place like Toys R Us and just see their eyes light up?   It's like walking into a Microcenter after depositing your bonus check.  ;)  

I think Toys R us has a place in our commerce and in our collective consumer consciousnesses.  They just need to keep the number of stores down and make them more special.   Work with Lego, and Mattell and others to make them like mini toy malls.    I think that would be awesome.

Heck yeah. If they could work closely with Lego and have like a mini Lego store inside that would be awesome, Lego stores are amazing but sadly there's not many of them. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Fun fact: Toys R Us Canada never went out of business. 

After their parent company went bankrupt, the Canadian division managed to secure a way to keep operating. 

Apparently the parent company kept kept taking profits from Canada and funnelling them into the US division to keep it afloat a little longer. 

In June, all 83 Canadian stores were bought by a Canadian holdings company (Fairfax) for $300m and by all accounts are doing well. 

So, I don’t think this will really affect the Canadian stores at all. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Heck yeah. If they could work closely with Lego and have like a mini Lego store inside that would be awesome, Lego stores are amazing but sadly there's not many of them. 

I live within a 45 minute drive from one in a outlet mall.  It's a neat thing and they have a few other little event places like that in this mall.  A skate park, an aquarium, and a lego world.   (I think it's like 20 bucks a head to go into lego world?).

But I think a partnership with a company like Toys R Us with perhaps a reduced price for the Lego World experience would be awesome.

Of course then Lego would have to deal with customers seeing all of the other toys around as well.   I don't know if that would be a bad thing for them

1 hour ago, Grimlakin said:

Of course then Lego would have to deal with customers seeing all of the other toys around as well.   I don't know if that would be a bad thing for them

But seriously, any logical kid will choose a Lego spaceship over some other toy, so it should be great for Lego.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Fun fact: Toys R Us Canada never went out of business. 

After their parent company went bankrupt, the Canadian division managed to secure a way to keep operating. 

Apparently the parent company kept kept taking profits from Canada and funnelling them into the US division to keep it afloat a little longer. 

In June, all 83 Canadian stores were bought by a Canadian holdings company (Fairfax) for $300m and by all accounts are doing well. 

So, I don’t think this will really affect the Canadian stores at all. 

Shows how much Americans just prefer amazon lol. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Shows how much Americans just prefer amazon lol. 

Well - perhaps. Canadians love Amazon too.

I would suggest it's incompetent leadership instead. There are other "big box" style stores that have survived and adapted.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)