[WCCF] Vendors Quietly Update Radeon R9 280X With Tahiti XTL Core

KakaoDj

http://wccftech.com/vendors-quietly-update-radeon-r9-280x-tahiti-xtl-core-sapphire-r9280x-dualx-tested/#ixzz2pT1rO0nZ

AMD says that the price will remain "unchanged at 299$".

It probably would be, if not for the mining hysteria  <_<

VR-Zone managed to obtain samples of the Radeon R9 280X with the Tahiti XTL core which features the same 2048 Stream processors, 128 TMUs, 32 ROPs and a 3 GB GDDR5 memory running across a 384-bit memory bus. The clocks are maintained at 870 MHz base and 1050 MHz boost while the memory is clocked at 6.0 GHz clock speed (effective). The Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X supports the Dual-X dual-slot cooler with two fans which push air towards the internal heatsink.
The site has mentioned that the Tahiti XTL core has better performance compared to the Tahiti XT core and features improved power efficiency. AMD was already planning to do a running-change with the Radeon R9 280X and offer the Tahiti XTL variant without anyone knowing that the chip has actually been released. No new naming or branding scheme would be introduced by manufacture’s or AMD to differentiate between the Tahiti XTL and Tahiti XT2 based Radeon R9 280X graphic cards which will end up causing slight bit of confusion among the consumer market.
AMD had delayed the Tahiti XTL chip for the Radeon R9 280X since they had alot of Tahiti XT2 chips in stock and the new XTL variant wasn’t manufactured in a large quantity until now. The pricing structure of the Radeon R9 280X will remain unaffected at $299 for reference and $299 + for non-reference cards. Performance numbers shown by VR-Zone only give a glimpse at the CrossFireX performance and no actual difference between the XT2 and XTL chips is shown so we still have to wait until more reviewers get their hands on the new chip based card and reveal the actual improvements.

Tahiti-XTL-R9-280X-635x355.jpg

Wow

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

no need for owners of prev 280x cards to be angry. The new chip will probably give +5% more frames and draw -5% power. This performance is well within the overclocks most of you are assuredly doing. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

no need for owners of prev 280x cards to be angry. The new chip will probably give +5% more frames and draw -5% power. This performance is well within the overclocks most of you are assuredly doing. 

Some people even got the XTL core when purchasing a regular 280x a while ago, they are so similar that they got mixed up  :P 

Freaking miners! I hope the card sgo bat to their recommended MSRP, they'll probably do when Maxwell comes out.

Freaking miners! I hope the card sgo bat to their recommended MSRP, they'll probably do when Maxwell comes out.

Let us hope so...

I have to say there is a lot of weird stuff going on with all those R8/9 cards, flashed bios's and now other chips in the same card

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

What?

All the 280x I saw to this day had the XTL Core.

144Hz goodness

So how can you check I have a 280x

You can use GPU-Z  :) 

I have to say there is a lot of weird stuff going on with all those R8/9 cards, flashed bios's and now other chips in the same card

Yeah, they sure have made their lineup quite confusing  :huh: 

So it is not a rebranded 7970 anymore?

It is, but there are now two versions floating around  :D 

I bought my asus 280x on the 25th of Dec and it has the XTL core in it... yay me? lol

This will be a Litecoin miners boon. Less power, and more performance!

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HOLD THE FUCK UP

I THOUGHT THE RUMOR WAS SHOT DOWN BY AMD THEMSELVES LAST MONTH?!?!?!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

F___ing miners screwed everything up. Price is as high as cocaine.

I can buy all kinds of stuff over here for the same price! ps I don't do drugs

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

What?

All the 280x I saw to this day had the XTL Core.

That's right! I don't understand this whole thread really...