Power Limit Throttling in Dell 7577

Hey guys,

I'm facing intense power limit throttling in Dell 7577 gaming laptop.

Specs: i7 7700 HQ; Turbo boost up to 3.8 GHz.

Nvidia 1060 Max-Q 6 GB VRAM

Intel HD 630

256 GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Windows 10 build 1803

I've handed over the device to dell support many times and they weren't able to resolve the issue at all rather than forcing a clean install of OS every single time and declared that they fixed it.

The Temps are under control and i ran the Task manager and intel XTU to monitor the CPU-GPU performance graphs. Turns out every time the GPU utilization goes up to a higher number, the CPU frequency throttles down to 0.8 GHz. for a period of 10 to 18 seconds. It's really annoying that everytime this happens, the FPS for games (PUBG,Witcher 3 , CS GO, Warface ) goes down to almost 8 FPS and the audio starts distorting into a soundpop routine. I've been strolling through a lot of forums and wasn't been able to find a fix for this problem at all. Undervolting and thermal repaste seems to quiet down the issue for a bit but its not permanent.Some say that the windows build 1709 started messing things up but I'm still not sure about it.For some, removing the battery for 10-15 seconds seems to do the trick but i tried that and its BS. Is it going to be fixed with a BIOS update?

Any of you out here experienced the same issue and found a solution please help me out. 

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-28 at 7.35.24 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-28 at 7.35.24 PM.jpeg

I wouldnt say 85c is "under control" its obviously thermal throttling.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

I wouldnt say 85c "under control" its obviously thermal throttling.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah 85c isn't good

85 is definitely safe, but judging by how CPU usage drops I'd say 85 is as far as the laptop will allow itself before actually throttling, rather than being actually stable at good clocks and 85

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The XPS line have the same issue. Put a 0.125mv undervolt on the CPU, and disable turbo boost when gaming and then you shouldn't have any issues.

Wow another power throttling case for 7577. Try updating firmware/BIOS. Undervolt CPU+GPU. Maybe due to VRM throttling too which can happen in this model. If neither helps then RMA

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

85 is definitely safe

i'll have to remember that next time i build a terrible computer

Just now, emosun said:

i'll have to remember that next time i build a terrible computer

I mean, it's not recommended By any means, but it's really common in laptops

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Umm. it's dell. they don't get the cream of the crop. I just had to deal with another 90W cpu with a 65W cooler. (this one courtesy of HP) The client was wondering why the fans were so loud and the computer would crash randomly.

If it was a desktop I'd recomend a slimline cooler. Laptop, you're pretty much screwed, unless your can underclock it somehow, and reduce the voltage input.

47 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Btw guys that 85c at the dip, I think it's hitting 100 by the looks of that graph.

yeah its 85c when its throttling, pretty sure this is thermal throttling. Tjunction is 100c on 7700HQ.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 hours ago, Levent said:

I wouldnt say 85c is "under control" its obviously thermal throttling.

Dell 'Authorised Personnel' claims that intel assures safe temps of laptop are up till 100c. But i Just got my Fan and heatsink unit replaced with a Thermal compound Repaste

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Wow another power throttling case for 7577. Try updating firmware/BIOS. Undervolt CPU+GPU. Maybe due to VRM throttling too which can happen in this model. If neither helps then RMA

RMA'ing the laptop sounds good , so this Unit is faulty is it?

I am dead certain that is a thermal throttle, also in XTU you can enable monitoring for thermal throttling.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I am dead certain that is a thermal throttle, also in XTU you can enable monitoring for thermal throttling.

How do I get rid of thermal throttling after all these repairs. Just picked up the laptop yesterday from service, 

Just now, Tegraspeed said:

How do I get rid of thermal throttling after all these repairs. Just picked up the laptop yesterday from service, 

that is either a shitty thermal paste application or fan is broken. I would send it back.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

XTU shows thermal throttling but it isn't stable, the thermal throttling warning keeps blinking every now and then, but when the CPU gets into 0.8 GHz, Power Limit throttling Message turns yellow and thermal throttling is negative

1 minute ago, Levent said:

that is either a shitty thermal paste application or fan is broken. I would send it back.

Okay..... Guess I'll just go with RMA then.. Thanks guys