Looking to get the Thinkpad X1 Extreme, any good?

Ali18

I have not had an Thinkpad in about 8 years. I have been considering the X1 extreme as my main laptop for work, travel and light gaming. I dont want a 'gaming laptop' those dont fit well in meetings. Question is how is the brand and quality these days. They used to be decent with good support when I last used a thinkpad. What are some other similar options that are thin, light and dedicated GPU. 

I would opt for the i7 6 core version.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1

I have only heard good things about the Thinkpad lineup over the last little bit. I have had issues with the 'regular' Lenovo laptops however.

I think you are still pretty good off with a Thinkpad. Maybe watch the X1 Carbon video from LTT for build and quality stuffs. They loved the build quality.

The Thinkpad X1 Extreme looks pretty good in terms of specs. I personally love the keyboard on thinkpads and I think it's a great laptop. It has 2 TB3 ports which should make it pretty future proof and it comes with a fast 6 core CPU and lots of RAM. The screen is also good (The 4K one) and it has a decent battery and GPU. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, CreativeGuy2013 said:

I have only heard good things about the Thinkpad lineup over the last little bit. I have had issues with the 'regular' Lenovo laptops however.

I think you are still pretty good off with a Thinkpad. Maybe watch the X1 Carbon video from LTT for build and quality stuffs. They loved the build quality.

Video looks good. Hope they do a review on extreme version.

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

The Thinkpad X1 Extreme looks pretty good in terms of specs. I personally love the keyboard on thinkpads and I think it's a great laptop. It has 2 TB3 ports which should make it pretty future proof and it comes with a fast 6 core CPU and lots of RAM. The screen is also good (The 4K one) and it has a decent battery and GPU. 

I was looking at the 4k version and its even touch which is interesting. I wonder if the ram and hdd is onboard or replaceable. 

Looking at reviews on other x1s seems the ram is onboard.

This picture of the extreme shows otherwise:

lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-extreme-feature-3-fw.png

20 minutes ago, Ali18 said:

I was looking at the 4k version and its even touch which is interesting. I wonder if the ram and hdd is onboard or replaceable. 

The RAM and storage can be upgraded

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Bad cooling just like XPS 15. Will probably struggle to handle even i5 8300H/8400H

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and minimum battery life? Any other special requirements?

11 hours ago, Ali18 said:

Question is how is the brand and quality these days

It's definitely not the legendary level quality just like Thinkpad those days, but still better than regular consumer laptops in terms of quality. Business support is still decent. TBH quality in laptops nowadays (especially QC) is really a hit or miss

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Currenly with a 15 inch macbook pro touch bar model. I was also looking at the new Asus Zenbook Pro.

8 hours ago, Ali18 said:

Currenly with a 15 inch macbook pro touch bar model. I was also looking at the new Asus Zenbook Pro.

Both also have bad cooling

Also, you haven't answer me:

On 24/09/2018 at 3:29 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and minimum battery life? Any other special requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Under $3k range. Mainly light and thin for travel. Decent batter life 

4 hours ago, Ali18 said:

Mainly light and thin for travel. Decent batter life 

Give me a range on these

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 6 months later...

An old thread, but finally decided on the X1 Extreme with the following build. So far its been working great.

PRODUCT DETAILS QUANTITY ITEM PRICE TOTAL AVAILABILITY
ThinkPad X1 Extreme
ThinkPad X1 Extreme

Configuration Details
Processor : 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8850H vPro 6 Core Processor (2.60GHz, up to 4.30GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB Cache)
Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Display : 15.6” 4K UHD HDR (3840 x 2160) IPS multi-touch, anti-reflective / anti-smudge, 400 nits
Memory : 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz
Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Camera : IR & 720p HD Camera with microphone
Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard - US English
Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
Security Chip : Hardware dTPM
First Hard Drive : 512GB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2
HDD Total Capacity : 512GB
Battery : 4 cell Li-Polymer 80Wh
Power Cord : 135W AC Adapter
Wireless : Intel 9560 802.11AC vPro (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.0
vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified