Google remotely changing settings in Android Pie in "internal experiment"

I'm not concerned, probably won't even get Android Pie anyway xD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

<< Thinks he will go back to his non "data allowance bandwidth stealing" phones like 

Huawei and ZTE ... pre- android 

ie old school flip phones. 

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

"oh no, the company that developed our operating system has the power to adjust things." 

Sure Apple might not do this, but they also a shittier company in other ways. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I must prevent the Organization from peering into the mad machinations of my mind! 

I'll get to a point where I'll be the hipster kid rocking a razer.  I'll do it!

You know what screw it.  Gimme one of these to be authentic:

Spoiler

steinsgate-07-okabe-cell_phone.jpg&f=1

It's almost as if EULA's are overwhelmingly large on purpose so people won't read them, and won't know what's in them until it's too late.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 9/15/2018 at 2:05 AM, Shorty88jr said:

I love Android but why the heck do they need to push changes to phones like that? O well I guess if they start abusing this I'll just run a custom ROM. 

They can do this because Google Play Services is a rootkit. It does not matter what firmware you install if you install the Play Store.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, Arika S said:

Doesn't matter how many phones they did it to, or what their own reasoning was, if they were not called out they would be perfectly happy with people buying new phones to replace their "slow" ones. Not telling people has the same effect as if it was intentional obsolescence to get more money from new phone purchases.

But you don't see it that way, because you're The Doctor...

People would have replaced them too if they crashed because of the aging battery. Reducing peak demand when the battery cannot handle it anymore was a reliability feature.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, DocSwag said:

I had this happen to me. It's pretty disturbing that Google can do that... hence why I've gone ahead and disabled modify system settings for google play services (which I believe was the culprit).

Google Play Services is a rootkit. Google can override whatever you tell it to do by pushing an update if it does not already have an override option in it already.

3 hours ago, ryao said:

Google Play Services is a rootkit. Google can override whatever you tell it to do by pushing an update if it does not already have an override option in it already.

That's really disturbing holy shit

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Thanks god I thought that my phone was dieing but was just google sniffing xD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

59 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's really disturbing holy shit

Well, it's also an assumption grabbed out of thin air right now.

Do we know how this happened? Seems like all the affected devices are very close to stock Android. Makes me believe that it is something related to the Android ROM code rather than the Google Play services.

Really, really disturbing that they even have this capability. Just goes to show how fucked up the current device landscape is, where users have very little control over their own devices. Hopefully a massive lawsuit happens soon that makes companies like Google stop this bullshit. They won't stop unless it causes major damage to them.

I can relate that hapened to me , Huawei P9 , on spain, was like 3 days ago (more or less) and I notice a white cross on my batery indicator (never used battery saver app) and thought my battery was going to die but I noticed that battery save was on, thought that I missclicked it with my butt or while sleeping till I read this :D 

EDIT : EMUI 5.0.3 EVA-L09C109B399

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Do we know how this happened? Seems like all the affected devices are very close to stock Android. Makes me believe that it is something related to the Android ROM code rather than the Google Play services.

Really, really disturbing that they even have this capability. Just goes to show how fucked up the current device landscape is, where users have very little control over their own devices. Hopefully a massive lawsuit happens soon that makes companies like Google stop this bullshit. They won't stop unless it causes major damage to them.

Either way, this shouldn't be happening, regardless of whether it's Google or Android.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It is not an assumption. It has been well known for years that Google can push updates to your phone through Google Play Services and that Google Play Services has access to everything. That is a root kit. If it is on your phone, they can do anything to it.

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Either way, this shouldn't be happening, regardless of whether it's Google or Android.

Totally agree.

6 hours ago, ryao said:

It is not an assumption. It has been well known for years that Google can push updates to your phone through Google Play Services and that Google Play Services has access to everything. That is a root kit. If it is on your phone, they can do anything to it.

Yes all that is correct, but what I am saying is that we should not be too quick to assume that is the cause. like I said, it didn't affect all phones which used Google Play services (which is basically all of them). It only affected phones which runs ROMs with next to no modifications, and it happened to several brands.