is my psu dead?

kingblook

i'm building my very first pc and i was doing alright until i got to the power supply. it's an evga BQ 650w. when i went to test it, i plugged it in and turned it on, but the fan didn't come on. it started to move, but would just end up shifting slightly forwards, then slightly backwards. it's hard to explain. after trying it a few more times, then i turned it on and it didn't move at all. what could be wrong?

my fan doesn't have an eco mode, but it does have "quiet and intelligent auto fans". does this prevent the fan from spinning if it isn't under load?

also, the power cable is slightly off. i went to go plug it in, and noticed that the prongs that go into the wall are bent. could this be affecting it?

Are all your other parts completely installed inside your case with all front panel connectors connected? If not do that first and make sure. Reply to this comment if you still have issues after trying that.

GTX 1070 RYZEN 5 1600, 16GB 3200mhz, G Pro Wireless,144HZ.

7 hours ago, kingblook said:

i'm building my very first pc and i was doing alright until i got to the power supply. it's an evga BQ 650w. when i went to test it, i plugged it in and turned it on, but the fan didn't come on. it started to move, but would just end up shifting slightly forwards, then slightly backwards. it's hard to explain. after trying it a few more times, then i turned it on and it didn't move at all. what could be wrong?

my fan doesn't have an eco mode, but it does have "quiet and intelligent auto fans". does this prevent the fan from spinning if it isn't under load?

also, the power cable is slightly off. i went to go plug it in, and noticed that the prongs that go into the wall are bent. could this be affecting it?

Your PSUs fan will just come on when it needs to. Don't worry about that.

The prongs can be bent to any angle as long as they connect to your plug. If you're worried, disconnect your PSU from your system, then take needle-nose pliers and bend the prongs gently back in place.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your PSUs fan will just come on when it needs to. Don't worry about that.

The prongs can be bent to any angle as long as they connect to your plug. If you're worried, disconnect your PSU from your system, then take needle-nose pliers and bend the prongs gently back in place.

i really hope youre right about the fan! i think i'm gonna go ahead and install it tomorrow and pray that the pc powers on. i'll just connect the important cables to the motherboard and test it like that, rather than fully installing it. that way i can just unplug it and install it correctly after i know it isn't broken!

10 hours ago, Online_Cesspool said:

Are all your other parts completely installed inside your case with all front panel connectors connected? If not do that first and make sure. Reply to this comment if you still have issues after trying that.

10 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

does the computer run?

the psu wasn't plugged into any of the pc components, it was just a test using the fake 24-pin connector that they provided specifically for tests. i'm going to try to plug it into the actual pc tomorrow.

I tried to "Test" my PSU before plugging stuff in on my first build. It didn't work and I freaked out. Tried it with everything plugged in and it was fine. Idk what people are talking about with shorting pins, just plug everything in and see if it works.

GTX 1070 RYZEN 5 1600, 16GB 3200mhz, G Pro Wireless,144HZ.

56 minutes ago, Online_Cesspool said:

I tried to "Test" my PSU before plugging stuff in on my first build. Idk what people are talking about with shorting pins, just plug everything in and see if it works.

he's trying to "test" the PSU by using an included jumper to cause a power on signal to be sent to the PSU without connecting everything, basically a try it before you install it and cable manage it. there are jumpers that come included with some brands of PSU's so you can do this power on test before connecting it to hardware, but it's frankly a pointless test, just connect to the system and test it that way, those jumpers do come in handy when you want to fill a water loop, you can use the jumper to the 24 pin plug (and NOT have the 24 pin plug in the motherboard) so the system won't power up while you run the pump.

it all worked out, my psu works and my pc is up and running! thanks for all the advice